• 18(current)
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
@johnsto

maybe more work coming round ;-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7346173.stm
other news, that might prove more interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2...n_3_1.html
Does anyone know who did the PS3 hack? It would be great to get them in for a conversation too.
Is anyone encountering issues with the latest test release I've uploaded? Like UI images and so forth not appearing... it seems this might only affect the very latest SVN/T3CH release.
Rainbow 
Hehe funny you should post that second BBC article. I was just about to post up the link to the actual site that's done the hack:

http://www.ps3iplayer.com/

Looks like perhaps we may be able to use this interface. I suspect wii videos will be higher quality ( I don't know this of course)

Also the fact htat the bbc has reacted in such a grown up, enouraging and non hostile way towards the coder that did this means that it's likely the site won't be shut down in a hurry following a storm of littigation (en contrare they actually offered him a job).

I don't know what format these files are in but it might be worth looking into...I believe the Wii and PS3 actually stream from the website so..........perhaps there's a chance we can take this thing to the next level?
TheBoxMan Wrote:Looks like perhaps we may be able to use this interface. I suspect wii videos will be higher quality ( I don't know this of course)

I don't know what format these files are in but it might be worth looking into...I believe the Wii and PS3 actually stream from the website so..........perhaps there's a chance we can take this thing to the next level?

The Wii videos are of lower quality I believe.

With regards to iPlayer on XBMC, the format isn't the issue, it's the streaming protocol that is the stumbling block. iPlayer programmes are delivered with the VP6 codec on desktop PCs, and Sorenson codec on Wii (and PS3.) XBMC supports both these codecs.

However, XBMC doesn't support RTMP, which is why this development hasn't helped matters much!
johnsto Wrote:However, XBMC doesn't support RTMP, which is why this development hasn't helped matters much!

Forgot to add that RTMP is the streaming protocol (as established in the first dozen or so pages of this very thread). Since Wii and PS3 both have official Flash support, they have full RTMP clients.

Unfortunately, there's currently no mature open-source RTMP client, and hence no RTMP support in XBMC, and hence no streaming iPlayer on XBMC either.
Rainbow 
Yeh I knew RTMP was the problem with PC. Hadn't realised it was being used for the Wii and PS3 yet.

*curses*...

Any sign that someone is going to attempt to impliment it in CURL? I seem to remember it's an absolute nightmare of a task....

If I knew where this was going on I might head on over and offer a few quid donation to the coder doing the import as a financial incentive...given little seems to be happening on that front... :-(

Wii is lower quality than the ipod? I'm astounded. Either ipod has unbelievable resolution *or* the wii folks are getting a very raw deal.
TheBoxMan Wrote:Wii is lower quality than the ipod? I'm astounded. Either ipod has unbelievable resolution *or* the wii folks are getting a very raw deal.

That's my (strong) assumption - I haven't been able to verify. However, the difference in codecs alone (Sorenson versus h.264) suggests the MP4 quality will be noticibly better.
Looks good on my TV, thats for sure.
Hi johnsto... Have you had anymore brain waves regarding iplayer_server snd getting it to work on the xbox? I know you were still messing with it, just wondered if it was a dead end for now?
MajorTom Wrote:Hi johnsto... Have you had anymore brain waves regarding iplayer_server snd getting it to work on the xbox? I know you were still messing with it, just wondered if it was a dead end for now?

After a short break I resumed tinkering with it last night and further identified the problem. Just putting together a test case now, but it looks like an XBOX-XBMC/Python issue that isn't going to be resolved quickly, unfortunately. It's particularly annoying as the problem is restricted to the XBOX hardware (it's not present in XBMC-Linux)

I think the working iplayer_server.py code is now in SVN if you want to have a look, but doubt many people will find any value in it.
Johnsto would you consider a update button in interface or submit it to xbmcscripts.com (presume you have to package script as some kind of installer package).

Many thanks again for all the hard work, used this many times and just adds to the greatness of XBMC.

Seems the quality of this script and the quality of XBMC surpasses all the other console versions of BBC iplayer.Smile

Cheers
sipart Wrote:Johnsto would you consider a update button in interface or submit it to xbmcscripts.com (presume you have to package script as some kind of installer package).

I'm looking at both of these options, but nothing set in stone yet!
Rainbow 
Given it's already on google code (I think it was google right? too long since I've looked at it) it should be possible to just edit the plugins and scripts program stickied above. Given it already uses a google code SVN and downloads things straight to xbox. Else you could just witch to updating it to the existing SVN. Of course there's also XBMC scripts (a lot on there were outdated last I checked and many nolonger worked...perhaps a bit of spring cleaning there is necesasry?). Place I get scripts these days is direct form the links on these boards (to whatever SVN or hosting site people are using. SVN is a better idea of course!

Think I'll start the python server on idle on my current xbox (at least until I get a second Xbox for my term time address and can run the server between xboxes).

Could we have two xboxes running the server script and streaming from the *other* xbox? (that's to say while both scripts are running you're actually streaming from the second xbox?

Thanks again amigo ;-)
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?7