Yamaha RX-A3050 vs. Marantz SR7010 vs. Denon AVR-X6200W for 7.1.4 ATMOS & DTS:X
Just moving the conversation here from the Intel NUC thread in the main 'Hardware' section...

(2016-04-21, 22:16)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:12)hdmkv Wrote: While I have @Skank and @movie78 here, I'm about to pull the trigger on these... do it? All refurbs.
- Yamaha RX-A3050 for ATMOS + DTS:X
- Yamaha R-S201 stereo amp This one Instead Insignia NS STR514 it has Banana plug connector.
- NS-AW392 as 4x height speakers

Welcome to the 6D clubNodNod

(2016-04-21, 22:24)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:20)opeters Wrote: I do have the Marantz:p older model SR7009 so no DTSx. I like it.

coming here from SR6005 to SR7010
doubted with denon too
yamaha was straight no go

hdmkv better discuss this via pm (but ill do that tomorrow, late here)

(2016-04-21, 22:26)movie78 Wrote: The SR7009 can Upmix DSU for both DTSHD and TRUEHD but the SR7010 can't, and 2CH Audio (music) up-mix doesn't work too well.

The SR 7010 can only up-mix DTSHD Track to Neural X and TRUEHD Track to DSU, not vice versa...The Yamaha Has no problem doing that.

Don't know if D+M is going to resolve that issue or not.

The only D+M has better than Yamaha is the Subwoofer Low frequency, but each his own, check both SR7010 and RX3050 Forum in the AVS Reciever Session and determine which one is good for you...

(2016-04-21, 22:34)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:29)Skank Wrote: truehd is upmixed to atmos
2 ch audio should be played as 2 chm it is meant to

For the SR7010
TRUEHD is UpMix to DSU ( DOLBY SURROUND UPMIXER)
DTSHD is UPMIX TO NEURAL X (DTS New UPMIXER)

(2016-04-21, 22:43)dukester Wrote: i read on avs forum that the denon offerings will be getting a second dts-x update enabling just what you describe. Dolby to DTSx upmix.
also i strongly suggest going with in ceiling speakers as i've heard both setups at local AV shops and its really hard to beat a full in ceiling speaker directly above you
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-21, 22:49)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:43)dukester Wrote: i read on avs forum that the denon offerings will be getting a second dts-x update enabling just what you describe. Dolby to DTSx upmix.
also i strongly suggest going with in ceiling speakers as i've heard both setups at local AV shops and its really hard to beat a full in ceiling speaker directly above you

INCEILING or his speaker option will do the same if you mount the speaker in the ceiling and point it the right direction.
If D+M can resolve that issue in a timely manner the choice will be base on preference because they are both good.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Leaning toward Yamaha 3050, also as decent refurb price.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-21, 22:57)movie78 Wrote:

INCEILING or his speaker option will do the same if you mount the speaker in the ceiling and point it the right direction.
If D+M can resolve that issue in a timely manner the choice will be base on preference because they are both good.

any way you go its going to sound amazing. im just thinking of cost vs performance, for around the same money you could go with mid range ceiling speakers from klipcsh or polk audio

also for aesthetics, nothing is going to compare to flush mounted speakers.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-04-21, 23:04)dukester Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:57)movie78 Wrote:

any way you go its going to sound amazing. im just thinking of cost vs performance, for around the same money you could go with mid range ceiling speakers from klipcsh or polk audio

also for aesthetics, nothing is going to compare to flush mounted speakers.If he wants go attic and run the speakers cables and i do agree with in-ceiling speakers looksCool

But AVR and speakers comes in a bundle so that it's option unless?
I have INCEILING speaker in my setup
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Mine's basement, so a little more difficult w/wiring. So, no in-ceiling. Thanks.
My Family Room Theater
Ordered from accessories4less... Big Grin

4x NS-AW392
1x RX-A3050

ATMOS and DTS:X, here I come. For extra AMP, decided to use my existing Pioneer VSX-822.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-22, 02:33)hdmkv Wrote: Ordered from accessories4less... Big Grin

4x NS-AW392
1x RX-A3050

ATMOS and DTS:X, here I come. For extra AMP, decided to use my existing Pioneer VSX-822.

The Pioneer Vsx-822 has enough power to power the 2 ATMOS speakers..

Now time to speaker wires and mounting bracketsCool
I need to get on the phone, or ideally FaceTime, w/you Smile after mounting the 4x NS-AW392's and wiring them to where my a/v gear is.

BTW, these are the spots, on the ceiling, where I was thinking of mounting the 4. I'm seeing different ATMOS/X diagrams and suggestions. Thoughts?

My Family Room Theater
just thinking out loud here but ideally you wouldnt use the second amp to power 2x atmos speakers, the best solution would be your fronts or your surround back channel, since all 4 atmos speakers are the same i would want all 4x to have identical output levels at all volume levels, using an AVR for 2 of them that is going to make it impossible.

other options i would look at if it was me would be an even older but good 5.1 AVR from craigslist with 6ch input so you can run all 4x your atmos speakers off the one amp OR look for a used NAD power amp or something similar to drive your front channels. either option will be really inexpensive if you look for the right deals.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
(2016-04-22, 14:19)hdmkv Wrote: I need to get on the phone, or ideally FaceTime, w/you Smile after mounting the 4x NS-AW392's and wiring them to where my a/v gear is.

BTW, these are the spots, on the ceiling, where I was thinking of mounting the 4. I'm seeing different ATMOS/X diagrams and suggestions. Thoughts?

This is the speaker placement for DOLBY ATMOS

And This somewhat DTS:X speaker placement

So if you combine the 2, you should get something like this:

I would suggest placing the speaker in the middle of both ( best of both worlds)
(2016-04-22, 15:04)dukester Wrote: just thinking out loud here but ideally you wouldnt use the second amp to power 2x atmos speakers, the best solution would be your fronts or your surround back channel, since all 4 atmos speakers are the same i would want all 4x to have identical output levels at all volume levels, using an AVR for 2 of them that is going to make it impossible.

other options i would look at if it was me would be an even older but good 5.1 AVR from craigslist with 6ch input so you can run all 4x your atmos speakers off the one amp OR look for a used NAD power amp or something similar to drive your front channels. either option will be really inexpensive if you look for the right deals.

I think when it comes surround and height it doesn't really matter, the best option will to get Emotiva for the LCR and use AVR for everything else.
(2016-04-22, 15:44)movie78 Wrote: I would suggest placing the speaker in the middle of both ( best of both worlds)
Thanks... so, basically the 4x heights should be about 5-6ft in front and behind the seating area, but tighter to seating area edge (vs. wall where surrounds are).

Re: sound calibration, for 7.1, I've usually done Audyssey first, then used a RadioShack sound meter to adjust afterwards. Does the Yamaha 3050 have something like Audyssey that would actually calibrate properly for full 7.1.4?

I see your 4 height speakers in-ceiling... nice!

Also, your equipment lists shows "TOSHIBA HDDVD A3"... surprised you still kept this! I used to have a HD-XA2. Ah, brings back memories.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-22, 15:56)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 15:44)movie78 Wrote: I would suggest placing the speaker in the middle of both ( best of both worlds)
Thanks... so, basically the 4x heights should be about 5-6ft in front and behind the seating area, but tighter to seating area edge (vs. wall where surrounds are). It doesn't have to be perfect by just close enough unless you want it perfect.Wink

Re: sound calibration, for 7.1, I've usually done Audyssey first, then used a RadioShack sound meter to adjust afterwards. Does the Yamaha 3050 have something like Audyssey that would actually calibrate properly for full 7.1.4? The Yamaha Aventage series comes with YPAO R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement for ATMOS/DTS:X room correction.

I see your 4 height speakers in-ceiling... nice!

My theater room is very small , so the speaker placement is not that perfect, but with your space, you can do good things.

PS: Try to mount your speaker flat and make sure there is no vibration.

Quote:Also, your equipment lists shows "TOSHIBA HDDVD A3"... surprised you still kept this! I used to have a HD-XA2. Ah, brings back memories.

I wish both formats could have coexist
(2016-04-22, 15:47)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 15:04)dukester Wrote: just thinking out loud here but ideally you wouldnt use the second amp to power 2x atmos speakers, the best solution would be your fronts or your surround back channel, since all 4 atmos speakers are the same i would want all 4x to have identical output levels at all volume levels, using an AVR for 2 of them that is going to make it impossible.

I think when it comes surround and height it doesn't really matter, the best option will to get Emotiva for the LCR and use AVR for everything else.

to me i would think having all 4x atmos channels at the same output levels across the volume range is rather important, if you power 2x atmos from your amp and 2 from 2nd amp, keeping volume level at second amp at say -20db will result in different mis matched levels depending on your main amps volume. easy way to see the issue is to hook it up like that and playback an atmos channel test video at a mid volume and then again at a high volume, your atmos speaker levels wont be equal which basically removes any point at all in your new avrs awesome speaker calibration/room correction stuff. powering your fronts with the second avr will still sort of suffer from the same issue, but its not going to be as apparent, since your front sound stage is nice with adjustable volume Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yamaha RX-A3050 vs. Marantz SR7010 vs. Denon AVR-X6200W for 7.1.4 ATMOS & DTS:X1