Yamaha RX-A3050 vs. Marantz SR7010 vs. Denon AVR-X6200W for 7.1.4 ATMOS & DTS:X
(2016-04-22, 16:23)dukester Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 15:47)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 15:04)dukester Wrote: just thinking out loud here but ideally you wouldnt use the second amp to power 2x atmos speakers, the best solution would be your fronts or your surround back channel, since all 4 atmos speakers are the same i would want all 4x to have identical output levels at all volume levels, using an AVR for 2 of them that is going to make it impossible.

other options i would look at if it was me would be an even older but good 5.1 AVR from craigslist with 6ch input so you can run all 4x your atmos speakers off the one amp OR look for a used NAD power amp or something similar to drive your front channels. either option will be really inexpensive if you look for the right deals.

I think when it comes surround and height it doesn't really matter, the best option will to get Emotiva for the LCR and use AVR for everything else.

to me i would think having all 4x atmos channels at the same output levels across the volume range is rather important, if you power 2x atmos from your amp and 2 from 2nd amp, keeping volume level at second amp at say -20db will result in different mis matched levels depending on your main amps volume. easy way to see the issue is to hook it up like that and playback an atmos channel test video at a mid volume and then again at a high volume, your atmos speaker levels wont be equal which basically removes any point at all in your new avrs awesome speaker calibration/room correction stuff. powering your fronts with the second avr will still sort of suffer from the same issue, but its not going to be as apparent, since your front sound stage is nice with adjustable volume Big Grin

You want your 7.1 to have the same sound level because those are your main sound CH, then you can use a sound meter with the Dolby Atmos Sep Disc to match the FH and RH.

What do you thinkHuh
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
So was suggestion, in my case, is power the surround backs w/Pioneer AVR, and keep rest on Yamaha 3050? Does make sense to have all 4 heights on main AVR. This is the first time I've done such a complicated set-up (maybe not for you guys), but 2 AVR's and 12 speakers/sub combo. Crazy... wouldn't never thought I'd be going to 11.1 channels!

[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-04-22, 16:33)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 16:23)dukester Wrote:
(2016-04-22, 15:47)movie78 Wrote: I think when it comes surround and height it doesn't really matter, the best option will to get Emotiva for the LCR and use AVR for everything else.

to me i would think having all 4x atmos channels at the same output levels across the volume range is rather important, if you power 2x atmos from your amp and 2 from 2nd amp, keeping volume level at second amp at say -20db will result in different mis matched levels depending on your main amps volume. easy way to see the issue is to hook it up like that and playback an atmos channel test video at a mid volume and then again at a high volume, your atmos speaker levels wont be equal which basically removes any point at all in your new avrs awesome speaker calibration/room correction stuff. powering your fronts with the second avr will still sort of suffer from the same issue, but its not going to be as apparent, since your front sound stage is nice with adjustable volume Big Grin

You want your 7.1 to have the same sound level because those are your main sound CH, then you can use a sound meter with the Dolby Atmos Sep Disc to match the FH and RH.

What do you thinkHuh

ideally yes i agree, which is why i said a 5.1 AVR with 6ch inputs would be great because you could power all 4x atmos speakers from that using FL,FR,SL,SR. and keep the full 7.1 on your new AVR. its a bummer im in canada as i have 2 such amps here, a denon and a kenwood just collecting dust.

but for me if i had exactly what hdmkv has without buying anything i would think

Surround back or front L & R would be the best choices to power from a second amp.

id still hunt craigslist imo, a 6ch amp would be great because you get equal atmos channels and for "demo" purposes you can increase all 4 atmos channels with just a slight bump in 2nd avr volume, which is significantly easier than ch lv adusting all 4 top speakers on your "Main" avr to acomplish the same thing.

in the end its all just going to be a switch of a few wires so you can test all scenarios and settle on the one that suits you best.
Just reading this.
Pity you too the wrong amp, should have taken marantz! Much better!
Connect your FL and FR to your second 2ch amp, nothing other.
Placements of 4 atmos speakers should not be in line with other speakers but a bit closer to seating
Okay, thanks... will wire that way.

Re: Yamaha 3050, doesn't appear like any slouch for ATMOS/X Wink.
My HT
Just saying it wouldnt be my choice for atmos.. The yamaha. 100%

Speaker setup:

You see the atmos speakers are not in line with your surrounds..
Yep, thanks. Planning to place them about 5ft ahead and behind main listening (seating area) rectangle.
My HT
(2016-04-23, 19:14)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, thanks. Planning to place them about 5ft ahead and behind main listening (seating area) rectangle.

Base your picture, you need to move your surround back behind the backseat.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Ideally yes, but have double-doors there going into room behind. Actually, I can move them to either side of those doors.
My HT
More close to Pulp Fiction and Matrix
Hey, I'm thinking when I get the NS-AW392, I'll return those, and get in-ceiling speakers instead. Will look better I think, and pointed straight down. Which between these?

- Yamaha NS-IW280CWH
- Polk Audio RC80i
- Pyle PDIC80 (looks like 'budget' version of above)
- Micca M-8C (another 'budget' version)
- None of above?
My HT
(2016-04-24, 15:40)hdmkv Wrote: Hey, I'm thinking when I get the NS-AW392, I'll return those, and get in-ceiling speakers instead. Will look better I think, and pointed straight down. Which between these?

- Yamaha NS-IW280CWH
- Polk Audio RC80i
- None of above?

That's the one i have, you can also angle it towards the MLP (Main Listening Position)

The other brands could be good, but only have the experience with the Yamaha
(2016-04-24, 15:40)hdmkv Wrote: Hey, I'm thinking when I get the NS-AW392, I'll return those, and get in-ceiling speakers instead. Will look better I think, and pointed straight down. Which between these?

- Yamaha NS-IW280CWH
- Polk Audio RC80i
- None of above?

Good call, i think going in ceiling is the way to go

also Klipsch R-1650-C sounded better than the other similar priced options to me at the local audio shop, might want to check them out also,
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Thanks... Pyle looks kinda cheap (quality), so either Polk, Yamaha or Klipsch depending on price for 4.

Actually, thinking maybe these Yamaha's.
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yamaha RX-A3050 vs. Marantz SR7010 vs. Denon AVR-X6200W for 7.1.4 ATMOS & DTS:X1