• 12(current)
Addons that delete competitor's addons
(2016-05-23, 10:54)Tadly Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 10:33)primaeval Wrote: The new setting to disable third party repos by default is a good start.

Effectively calling your users idiots might not go down well with Kodi's sponsors.

I love it when people put words in my mouth Smile (thanks for that)

Just to be clear. This "suggestion" of mine was just a joke.
As it was mentioned a few times already, if users stick to the official repo, there's nothing to worry about.

If a user buys one of those fancy, with crap loaded boxes it's there own fault for not informing themselves properly first. (There's no excuse imo)
Oh, and as everyone should know already, this ^ is something we already address as good as we can.

Sorry to target you, but all I get on this forum is blaming the users for not being able to decompile their own python object file and use WireShark to inspect every packet that comes into their network.

If you are happy to limit yourself to the official addons, good luck to you. Your use case is quite simple. I hope you enjoy all the carp fishing and basket weaving videos you come across there. Wink
(2016-05-23, 11:02)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 10:54)Tadly Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 10:33)primaeval Wrote: The new setting to disable third party repos by default is a good start.

Effectively calling your users idiots might not go down well with Kodi's sponsors.

I love it when people put words in my mouth :) (thanks for that)

As it was mentioned a few times already, if users stick to the official repo, there's nothing to worry about.

If a user buys one of those fancy, with crap loaded boxes it's there own fault for not informing themselves properly first. (There's no excuse imo)
Oh, and as everyone should know already, this ^ is something we already address as good as we can.

Sorry to target you, but all I get on this forum is blaming the users for not being able to decompile their own python object file and use WireShark to inspect every packet that comes into their network.

If you are happy to limit yourself to the official addons, good luck to you. Your use case is quite simple. I hope you enjoy all the carp fishing and basket weaving videos you come across there. ;)

why would a user need to decompile anything (especially as python code get's shipped un-compiled). Also, logging the network isn't necessary either.
If a user install suspicious add-ons it's there own fault and that's quite easy to tell.
Free movies, tv-shows and/or music?
In what world is that not suspicious? (Even my mum knows that)
(2016-05-23, 11:02)primaeval Wrote: Your use case is quite simple. I hope you enjoy all the carp fishing and basket weaving videos you come across there. Wink

You know you can actually *buy* CD's, DVD's and Bluray's, right? Wink
Kodi was always meant as a player for those, whether physically in the good ol' days, or ripped to a HD/NAS for instant access...
(2016-05-23, 11:48)Tadly Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 11:02)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 10:54)Tadly Wrote: I love it when people put words in my mouth Smile (thanks for that)

If you are happy to limit yourself to the official addons, good luck to you. Your use case is quite simple. I hope you enjoy all the carp fishing and basket weaving videos you come across there. Wink

why would a user need to decompile anything (especially as python code get's shipped un-compiled). Also, logging the network isn't necessary either.
If a user install suspicious add-ons it's there own fault and that's quite easy to tell.
Free movies, tv-shows and/or music?
In what world is that not suspicious? (Even my mum knows that)

I know this thread is getting a bit long now to read the previous posts, but there are a lot of addons at the moment that obsfucate their code and delete the .py files on their first run. There are serveral on this forum that do that, especially ones with custom guis.

I hope you tell your mum that all the music she listens to on the YouTube addon is probably not uploaded by the music labels or artists, but it is still considered a legal addon. The world is not black and white, I am afraid. Just check with your lawyer. Wink
(2016-05-23, 11:56)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 11:02)primaeval Wrote: Your use case is quite simple. I hope you enjoy all the carp fishing and basket weaving videos you come across there. Wink

Kodi was always meant as a player for those, whether physically in the good ol' days, or ripped to a HD/NAS for instant access...

True. But we're all in the cloud now. Wink The only time I let my kids near a physical DVD they tried to eat it and cover it with jam.
Stupidly it is still illegal to copy media you own to your hard disk in the UK, at least.
(2016-05-23, 11:59)primaeval Wrote: ... there are a lot of addons at the moment that obsfucate their code and delete the .py files on their first run. There are serveral on this forum that do that, especially ones with custom guis.

And you find that totally legit and would encourage people to install those kind of addons?
What better "red alert" signal that an addon that do what you descibe?

Even if they do that only to avoid people re-using their code, they just don't understand anything about our values (and most probably make millions out of our backs). Are you ok with that, too?
(2016-05-23, 11:59)primaeval Wrote: I know this thread is getting a bit long now to read the previous posts, but there are a lot of addons at the moment that obsfucate their code and delete the .py files on their first run. There are serveral on this forum that do that, especially ones with custom guis.

If that is the case, then perhaps it would be better to name these add-ons so that the dev team can make a judgement about whether or not to continue to allow them on the forum ?

Personally, I have no time for add-on authors who obfuscate their code for any reason. Either leave the code public, or don't publish it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-05-23, 12:11)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 11:59)primaeval Wrote: ... there are a lot of addons at the moment that obsfucate their code and delete the .py files on their first run. There are serveral on this forum that do that, especially ones with custom guis.

And you find that totally legit and would encourage people to install those kind of addons?
What better "red alert" signal that an addon that do what you descibe?

Even if they do that only to avoid people re-using their code, they just don't understand anything about our values (and most probably make millions out of our backs). Are you ok with that, too?

I'm probably ambivalent about the legality of some of content of some of these addons, just like the official Kodi position. Personally I only watch a couple of hours of TV a week, I just try to find videos that help my kids learn English better and keep them entertained and educated.

Several of the obfuscated addon developers that I know about don't make anything from their addons and do it for the Robin Hood aspect and the prestige. The obsfucation is to stop people using the streams they find themselves.

The other legitimate but dubiously legal use is that people want to pay for the content but they are geo-blocked from a media industry that likes to carve up the world to maximise profits.

Kodi is in a strange position that it doesn't or can't make money from all the hard work of the devs here but sees the illegal sites making a fortune.
(2016-05-23, 12:28)primaeval Wrote: ...do it for the Robin Hood aspect and the prestige....

Those 2 words do not belong together. I don't recall the part where Robin Hood had his name imprinted on the purses he distributed Wink
If they do it for the Prestige, see above: "they just don't understand anything about our values"
(2016-05-23, 12:47)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 12:28)primaeval Wrote: ...do it for the Robin Hood aspect and the prestige....

Those 2 words do not belong together. I don't recall the part where Robin Hood had his name imprinted on the purses he distributed Wink
If they do it for the Prestige, see above: "they just don't understand anything about our values"

I am afraid that every addon that exposes a streaming web site is behaving as a Robin Hood. They are breaking the terms and conditions of the web site and depriving it of advertising or resale revenue.

For example, Youtube:
I don't know if there is any written authorisation in this case but there are others I know that do not have written authorisation.

Code:
you agree not to distribute any part of or parts of the Website or the Service, including but not limited to any Content, in any medium without YouTube's prior written authorisation, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the YouTube Player);
(2016-05-23, 11:59)primaeval Wrote: I know this thread is getting a bit long now to read the previous posts, but there are a lot of addons at the moment that obsfucate their code and delete the .py files on their first run. There are serveral on this forum that do that, especially ones with custom guis.

please be so kind to provide forum links to each of them.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-05-23, 13:35)ronie Wrote:

please be so kind to provide forum links to each of them.

I will the next time I come across them. None of them are in the official Kodi repository, just linked to from the forum.
(2016-05-23, 11:56)Koying Wrote:

From what I have read of your posts it seems you get everything you need from local media storage and the official Kodi repository.
This whole topic must seem quite alien to you.
I respect your integrity and thank you for your work. Your code mods have made my android box a joy to use.
(2016-05-23, 14:55)primaeval Wrote: From what I have read of your posts it seems you get everything you need from local media storage and the official Kodi repository.
I respect your integrity and thank you for your work. Your code mods have made my android box a joy to use.

At least I'm not arrogant enough to convince myself that 95% of the content of my media server is 'media liberation' instead of the reality that it's just plain old pirated because it's cheap and easy.
(2016-05-23, 17:44)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 14:55)primaeval Wrote: From what I have read of your posts it seems you get everything you need from local media storage and the official Kodi repository.

At least I'm not arrogant enough to convince myself that 95% of the content of my media server is 'media liberation' instead of the reality that it's just plain old pirated because it's cheap and easy.

I take his comments at face value. I don't know how old you are, but my music collection at least is almost all on vinyl or cd. I ripped all my music to my server a while ago. So I think it is quite probable if his avatar matches his age that he is used to buying physical media rather than downloading or pirating. If he gets all his TV from a capture card or local streaming addon it is quite probable too. We used to all have to buy media back in the good old days, that or tape it off the radio. But remember kids "Home Taping is Killing Music" Smile
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addons that delete competitor's addons2