• 3(current)
Addons that delete competitor's addons
(2016-05-01, 23:18)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2016-05-01, 19:27)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-05-01, 19:23)trogggy Wrote: It's happened before, it will no doubt happen again.

Simple solution - don't use add-ons coded by immature dicks.
Use ones from here or from somewhere / someone you trust.

Even the ones from here could hide something nasty. I think Kodi could do with more security for addons like Android's app separation.

That is the reason why YOU DON"T use 3rd party addons that are not approved here !

LOL That's like going to the whore house with out a condom ! LOL

There are some superb addons that don't come from here...and there are some dangerous ones.
Don't be a Steve Jobs and try to restrict people to your own products.
If Kodi was more secure there would be no need for the closed shop addon vetting.
The power (and danger) of Kodi is its openness to modification.
(2016-05-01, 23:18)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2016-05-01, 19:27)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-05-01, 19:23)trogggy Wrote: It's happened before, it will no doubt happen again.

Simple solution - don't use add-ons coded by immature dicks.
Use ones from here or from somewhere / someone you trust.

Even the ones from here could hide something nasty. I think Kodi could do with more security for addons like Android's app separation.

That is the reason why YOU DON"T use 3rd party addons that are not approved here !

LOL That's like going to the whore house with out a condom ! LOL

To use your analogy:

Using addons from here is like saying "I had sex with your girlfriend and I didn't get HIV, so she must be clean."

Adding security access permissions to Kodi is like wearing a condom.
This thread has widened scope somewhat, so it's now in the wrong section.

Moved to Kodi discussions.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-05-02, 09:14)DarrenHill Wrote: This thread has widened scope somewhat, so it's now in the wrong section.

Moved to Kodi discussions.

OK. But it seems a bit dead in that forum. I was hoping to get more input from Addon and Kodi core developers on how to make Kodi more secure. I never visit that part of the forum myself.
I love that the first paragraph of our blogpost on this very topic has already come to fruition.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/
Hehe, you have to love the "please, please, put a system in place preventing me from installing unofficial, unscrutinized, banned, addons that do crazy stuff to my system" plea Wink
BTW, from an android perspective, now is a good time to think again before rooting your device. Everybody can implement all the security in the world, if users bypass them purposedly, it'll be pointless.
I love Kodi but things are not black and white with the piracy box sellers.

Almost every addon in the official repository that provides content breaks the Terms and Conditions of the sites they are providing content from and probably most countries official laws too.
Even ripping a CD or DVD to your hard disk is still illegal in the UK.

For everyone that thinks you only get clean, legal addons from here please think again.
The point here is not even legal or not.
That those addons authors take on themselves to delete other addons from your system on their own is so terribly wrong that I have no words...

It would be like Amazon deleting books from your kindle without your consent. Oh wait... Wink
(2016-05-02, 12:14)Koying Wrote: The point here is not even legal or not.
That those addons authors take on themselves to delete other addons from your system on their own is so terribly wrong that I have no words...

It would be like Amazon deleting books from your kindle without your consent. Oh wait... Wink

I expect you are pretty much an Android security guru by now. What do you think would be a sensible way to deal with Kodi Addon security?
I'm no security guru.

Common sense rules, as always. Addons are like any kind of app.
Don't install app without reputation and/or from unknown source. Check on the Net for known issues. In case of doubt, pass.

There is a say that, in security matters, the issues lie 90% of the time between the screen and the chair Smile
(2016-05-02, 12:50)Koying Wrote: I'm no security guru.

Common sense rules, as always. Addons are like any kind of app.
Don't install app without reputation and/or from unknown source. Check on the Net for known issues. In case of doubt, pass.

There is a say that, in security matters, the issues lie 90% of the time between the screen and the chair Smile

Good advice. But I doubt if all the estimated 12 million Kodi users have the English language skills to research every addon they have or want to install.

If you could put some kind of security permissions into Kodi Addons to save people from themselves what would they be?
(2016-05-02, 13:06)primaeval Wrote: Good advice. But I doubt if all the estimated 12 million Kodi users have the English language skills to research every addon they have or want to install.

Well, they have to research and install them in the first place.
If they install official Kodi and officially reviewed addons, they have zero risks.

If they installs unofficial "builds", or blindly follow youtubers and install "wizards", they take full responsibility for whatever happen to their system...
(2016-05-02, 13:31)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 13:06)primaeval Wrote: Good advice. But I doubt if all the estimated 12 million Kodi users have the English language skills to research every addon they have or want to install.

Well, they have to research and install them in the first place.
If they install official Kodi and officially reviewed addons, they have zero risks.

If they installs unofficial "builds", or blindly follow youtubers and install "wizards", they take full responsibility for whatever happen to their system...

I disagree that the official addons have zero risks.

I know they have had some kind of checking done but they still have way too high access permissions to the rest of the system.
Any that grab data from somewhere else could be compromised by things like a url that runs some extra python code in the addon, similar to sql injection hacks.
Even a different file system layout than the one the developer used could end up in wiped or corrupted user files anywhere that Kodi has permissions to access.

It might not be deliberate or frequent but bad things can happen with the best checked addons.
(2016-05-02, 13:45)primaeval Wrote: I know they have had some kind of checking done but they still have way too high access permissions to the rest of the system.

No doubts the addons would need to be sandboxed, in a perfect world. They aren't.
If you don't trust our review, just don't use addons, then. None required...
(2016-05-02, 14:07)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 13:45)primaeval Wrote: I know they have had some kind of checking done but they still have way too high access permissions to the rest of the system.

No doubts the addons would need to be sandboxed, in a perfect world. They aren't.
If you don't trust our review, just don't use addons, then. None required...

I'm glad you agree that the best solution would be a sandbox.

Are you really saying that you would guarantee your addon review 100%?. That is a mighty big statement. Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addons that delete competitor's addons2