Linux Switch from win to ubuntu can I keep video drive ntfs?
Long time windows user who is switching to Ubuntu linux. Right now I have a win7 box running smb on a 2tb NTFS drive. At this time i'm awaiting a new 2tb nas drive so i can format to ext3 and copy files over from the ntfs drive. My question is could I run the ntfs drive for a few weeks in ubuntu while I wait for the new drive or would there be issues with writing and reading files?
Ubuntu reads NTFS drives out of the box, so I don't see any problems with this.
(2016-05-02, 04:14)lobsta Wrote: Long time windows user who is switching to Ubuntu linux. Right now I have a win7 box running smb on a 2tb NTFS drive. At this time i'm awaiting a new 2tb nas drive so i can format to ext3 and copy files over from the ntfs drive. My question is could I run the ntfs drive for a few weeks in ubuntu while I wait for the new drive or would there be issues with writing and reading files?

Format the Ubuntu drive to ext4. It supersedes ext3.
Thanks, really want to get this changeover done before I get busy at work again. If I had somewhere to backup the data from the ntfs drive I would switch the drive over now. lol
(2016-05-02, 08:14)J876 Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 04:14)lobsta Wrote: Long time windows user who is switching to Ubuntu linux. Right now I have a win7 box running smb on a 2tb NTFS drive. At this time i'm awaiting a new 2tb nas drive so i can format to ext3 and copy files over from the ntfs drive. My question is could I run the ntfs drive for a few weeks in ubuntu while I wait for the new drive or would there be issues with writing and reading files?

Format the Ubuntu drive to ext4. It supersedes ext3.

Yeah I may just go with ext4 after some reading on the difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch from win to ubuntu can I keep video drive ntfs?0