Switching from WMC to KODI...WILL THIS WORK?
Hello All,

I am new to KODI, and would like to know if KODI will solve my problem. I have a new build, where I am running a media center box and a file server. I wanted to have WMC record directly to the file server. This cannot be done, due to limitations in WMC. Then I made WMC dump its daily recordings onto the file server, which WMC reads off of (in addition to it's own drive). Problem is, the recording limits (ex. 5 recordings per show) and the duplicate prevention only count the shows on the main drive (NOT THE FILE SERVER). So I get tons of duplicates, and it will record as many of each show as possible. That is why I am switching! Will KODI solve this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help. I plan on being a very active member in this forum.
Kodi relies on back-end software to make recordings. The interface between Kodi and the back-end is a PVR add-in. Your issue is not - as far as I know - a Kodi one, but relates to: the back-end; the PVR add-in; and your EPG source. Kodi allows you to specify that you do no want duplicate recordings, but that's all.

FWIW, in my experience DVBLink, the DVBLink PVR add-in and UK over-the-air EPG make a good PVR solution in general, but are not good at detecting duplicate recordings. DVBLink can, however, put your recording anywhere you like. You can also have KODI and the recording software run on one machine using the tuners on another.

So, you'll have to look more closely at the various back-end solutions to see what's possible. Sorry.

Andy
Is there anything other than DVBLink that would be better? Something that is good at not duplicating the recordings and would count episodes on all drives towards the maximum episode count? Also I am in the USA, so I need a EPG for here.
You might look at NextPVR. I think it'll do what you want, and it has pretty good integration with Kodi (or, honestly, you could use it instead of Kodi depending on your needs). The only think NextPVR won't do that WNC could is record cable channels marked as copy once. For most cable systems this is anything except the network channels and a few others. For a few (like Comcast), only the premium channels (like HBO) are marked copy once.
What kind of tuner do you have? What cable service provider? I pay $25/yr for Schedulesdirect.org account and couldn't be happier. There is mc2xml that can run and generate an xmltv.xml file that many of the applications can use. If you have a hdhomerun from silicondust they provide limited EPG free. If you want to use their dvr service you can pay for early access here: https://www.silicondust.com/shop/.
I have two Silicon Dust HDHR Primes with Comcast. I never even heard of SD doing their own DVR software. Can that be used as a back end for Kodi? NextPVR was what I was going to use. As pkscout pointed out, NPVR cannot record copy once (which I think on Comcast is only HBO, Starz, etc.) which is not the end of the world; but if SD's DVR can be used as a back end, that probably wouldn't have that problem.

bry, is there an easy way to use schedulesdirect.org with Kodi/NextPVR without doing file conversions? If not, how often do you have to convert the file? Do you have to set up a scheduled task or something to do it daily?

Thanks to you all for your help!
SD released a DVR, but I think it's an extra cost. The Kodi plugin, if I recall, was going to be done only if their kickstarter campaign reached a certain goal. If you have Comcast, I'd recommend you use NextPVR with the HDHR. That should get you almost every channel.
You can get access now. Silicondust.com/shop works just fine within kodi. I suggest you take a look at the Channel lineup on the hdhomerun website and take not of the channels that have the drm flag. They will not work within kodi.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Okay, so is SD DVR a better back end than NextPVR? Will Kodi work seamlessly as a front end for SDDVR? Does Kodi offer me a lot that SDDVR won't? Sorry for so many questions, it's just I have invested a TON of money into my equipment, and want to make sure I do this right the first time.
If you're concern is over not having to redo anything, I'd suggest you go with NextPVR. It has a large support community and years of time under it's belt. The SD one is brand new (in fact it's called "early access" so think BETA) and costs $60 for the privilege of helping them test it.
Kinda my thoughts as well. Also, if it's $60/year for BETA, I worry about long term expense. The most important thing to me is that when you set a recording limit on a given show series, it takes into account the shows on both my main recording drive as well as my NAS. Same goes for duplicates. If I understand correctly, this is not handled by Kodi, rather NextPVR is responsible for that functionality. Should I post in their forums to find out for sure, or does anybody have a definitive answer over here?
(2016-05-05, 03:42)CupOfCheese Wrote: Kinda my thoughts as well. Also, if it's $60/year for BETA, I worry about long term expense. The most important thing to me is that when you set a recording limit on a given show series, it takes into account the shows on both my main recording drive as well as my NAS. Same goes for duplicates. If I understand correctly, this is not handled by Kodi, rather NextPVR is responsible for that functionality. Should I post in their forums to find out for sure, or does anybody have a definitive answer over here?

I'd post that in the NextPVR forums. There is some cross over between the two (like me), but the folks who really know the system will be over there. I've never looked that close at how NPVR deals with "keep at most" scenarios (I have mine set to never delete anything).
Yeah, I do as well for most things, but good luck doing that with sports games or Seinfeld.
(2016-05-05, 06:21)CupOfCheese Wrote: Yeah, I do as well for most things, but good luck doing that with sports games or Seinfeld.
https://mobile.twitter.com/HDHomeRun_US/...0047136768
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Mythtv wil solve your problems.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching from WMC to KODI...WILL THIS WORK?1