<SOLVED> Kodi locks up on arch linux with catalyst and compton installed
Well see that's not the only option because whatever the issue is here with the opensource driver and my monitor might be, Manjaro Linux (Arch based) runs catalyst 15.9 and Kodi just fine together at 1600x900 resolution. I was trying to run this on Arch with catalyst and kodi and the opensource driver and kodi which is not working in either case. Manjaro has the only game in town that works. Smile

Again. Thank you for your help!
Whatever your fglrx tells is _not_ what your TV does. It cannot do 1600x900 natively. It's native resolution is lower ... so no matter what you pump in, it's downscaled - no 1:1 pixel mapping ... the goal always is to drive the TV in its native resolution for best quality.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-09, 22:44)fritsch Wrote: Whatever your fglrx tells is _not_ what your TV does. It cannot do 1600x900 natively. It's native resolution is lower ... so no matter what you pump in, it's downscaled - no 1:1 pixel mapping ... the goal always is to drive the TV in its native resolution for best quality.

That indeed is a very fine goal.

However the native resolution for the computer and the monitor is not accessible with the opensource driver or with catalyst.

Therefor i may as well get out of it something useful.

Also, and i have put off saying this because i didn't want to put anyone off. I have another computer that i also connect to this monitor. It's an optiplex 755 with a core 2 duo and a radeon hd2400xt to which i have connected a dms to dvi adapter and a dvi to hdmi adapter that i plug into the one hdmi port and the resolution windows 10 gives to me by default is 1920x1080 and the entire desktop fits into the viewable area and i get no visible flicker and it runs kodi very well. I tried to run linux on it with my current setup and i have the same issue with the opensource driver that i am having with the quadcore a6 machine that you have been helping me with. Also i put into the optiplex a nvidia gt730 and had the exact same problems with linux and amd with this monitor but even worse because Nvidia gt730 couldn't push even as many of the resolutions that amd pushes - all of the one you say i shouldn't use.

In the final analysis i just want it to do the best it can do. If it can do 1600x900 even though it "shouldn't" who am i to argue with getting what i want just beause it "shouldn't".

I've done everything you have asked and you have been amazingly kind and helpful and i thank you for all your efforts. Peace be to you.
To me linux shouldn't be about philosophies or religions but about computing and using catalyst on manjaro to get 1600x900 with kodi running sounds like great computing to me.
Yeah - kodi is not about religion :-) Kodi is about facts, here, read the facts: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...xbmc&num=2 - wasted 2 years of my life - won't do it again, no matter if you love the fglrx religion :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-09, 23:28)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - kodi is not about religion :-) Kodi is about facts, here, read the facts: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...xbmc&num=2 - wasted 2 years of my life - won't do it again, no matter if you love the fglrx religion :-)
That sounds highly frustrating
fglrx isn't a religion to me. I just want settings that work.
fglrx isn't a religion to me. I just want settings that work.
Also, on a whim, with catalyst installed and running, i disabled compton and then started up kodi and it worked flawlessly. Then while kodi was running i started compton and once again kodi locked up straight away.
fortunately for me unagi works with kodi and catalyst and arch

Thanks again Fritsch :>)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
<SOLVED> Kodi locks up on arch linux with catalyst and compton installed1