Free Surround Sound vs ActiveAE Stereo Upmix?
Utilizing Isengard, RPi2/OSMC, and TVHeadEnd, I have a Vizio TV with optic connectivity to a 5.1 receiver and have Stereo Upmix enabled in ActiveAE, which is supposed to give me 5.1 upmix from stereo. Is there any other benefit I will receive from Free Surround Sound?
So far this really depends on your own preferences and listening requirements.

So far I know ActiveAE only copies the e.g. stereo content to a 5.1 speaker layout. It probably does some mixing with the center channel. FernetMenta or Fritsch could tell more about the technical details.
I guess it is very similiar to your AV-Receivers multi-channel stereo mode.

Consequently adsp.freesurround uses a different algorithm to upmix the channels and uses customized filter and frequency bands to upmix to a 5.1 speaker.

In view adsp.freesurround sounds much better than ActiveAE's upmixing algorithm. Currently it is a littlte bit buggy with latest master branch. Futhermore I also like it more than my AV-Receivers dolby pro logic II, dts neo ..., because the voice that is coming out from the channel sounds so much clearer than any other upmix algorithm I heared before. But this is are really my own opinion others might have a different one.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Free Surround Sound vs ActiveAE Stereo Upmix?1