v16 USB drives no longer automount
I've just spent many hours trying to figure out a problem on my own and I'm about to my wit's end.

I've got Lubuntu with Kodi installed on it (rolled my own kodibuntu basically).

I was unable to get DVDs to play with Isengard and found a forum post somewhere talking about
upgrading to a nightly build. I followed the instructions and tried to update it but it completely
failed to install the dependencies and Kodi would no longer run. So I uninstalled Kodi, disabled
the nightly repos and then reinstalled Kodi (getting Jarvis, which seems pretty nice).

Now DVDs play great, everything seems great, except for the fact that I can't get external
USB drives to mount. Since I have my entire media library on one, that's a major problem
for me.

If I "Exit" kodi then log back in with Lubuntu desktop, I can access the drive, play the media
from it and everything is fine. I can even launch Kodi from the desktop and Kodi sees
the drive and functions perfectly. But the second I reboot, it screws up again.

I searched and searched the 'net but found next to no information for this problem.
I did end up trying to add
Code:
usb_storage
lp
to /etc/modules but it had no impact or change other than slightly slowing down my boot.

I have no idea where to go from here. I assume that I somehow uninstalled or disabled
the automounting features of kodi when I removed/reinstalled it. If that's the case,
how do I reinstall/fix the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Probably the user isn't part of the 'plugdev' group.

Check which group your use belongs to ..

Code:
id 'username' *without the quotes
Sorry for taking a couple days to reply.

I checked, my user is part of the plugdev group.

Any other ideas? I'm totally stumped.
Try this solution:

Code:
apt-get install usbmount ntfs-3g
nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
#add/edit:
FILESYSTEMS="vfat ntfs fuseblk ext2 ext3 ext4 hfsplus"
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=ntfs-3g,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 -fstype=fuseblk,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 -fstype=vfat,gid=1000,uid=1000,umask=007"

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/usbmount.rules
#add:
KERNEL=="sd*", DRIVERS=="sbp2",         ACTION=="add",  PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="sd*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",       ACTION=="add",  PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="ub*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",       ACTION=="add",  PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="sd*",                          ACTION=="remove",       RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"
KERNEL=="ub*",                          ACTION=="remove",       RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"

nano /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
#add:
[Unit]
BindTo=%i.device
After=%i.device

[Service]
Type=oneshot
TimeoutStartSec=0
Environment=DEVNAME=%I
ExecStart=/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount add
RemainAfterExit=yes

then reboot your machine
Asrock J5040 powered by Ubuntu 23.10 and KODI
(2016-05-19, 09:31)Schenckmeier Wrote: Try this solution:
Code:
apt-get install usbmount ntfs-3g
nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
#add/edit:
FILESYSTEMS="vfat ntfs fuseblk ext2 ext3 ext4 hfsplus"
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=ntfs-3g,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 -fstype=fuseblk,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 -fstype=vfat,gid=1000,uid=1000,umask=007"

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/usbmount.rules
#add:
KERNEL=="sd*", DRIVERS=="sbp2", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="sd*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="ub*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/systemd-escape -p [email protected] $env{DEVNAME}", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="%c"
KERNEL=="sd*", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"
KERNEL=="ub*", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"

nano /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
#add:
[Unit]
BindTo=%i.device
After=%i.device

[Service]
Type=oneshot
TimeoutStartSec=0
Environment=DEVNAME=%I
ExecStart=/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount add