• 109(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
And also read this:

It begins for tvaddons

and...

Court grants subpoenas to unmask tvaddons and zemtv operators

If users are having trouble adding Local Networked NAS, USB HDD or PC Networked file Shares into Kodi then we can help.

For Banned Pirate streaming Addons and Repo's we will definitely not help. Please Read the Kodi forum rules.

After waiting for about 6 months in hope for an update wich enables refresh rate switching and solves the annoing bugs in terms of Deep Color, HDR and so on, I have to say, I´m done with this box.
I have now 2 devices here, witch have pros and cons (FTV2,Mibox). I like the MiBox, it has basically good hardware, but hardware is always as good as the software. Missing refresh rate autoswitching makes me sick, even with the right refresh rate the box sitll has some stuttering on different files. There are few other bugs, but I could live with them.
On the other side there´s the FTV2, great support, refresh rate switching, good interface, but weak network abilities and lack of HD Audio support.
Yes, it has Wifi AC, but there´s a annoying bug in the wifi driver. You can´t use 80mhz bandwith on the 5ghz network, it leads somehow to speed throttling. 40mhz works flawless, but to slow for my 4k files (60Gbyte). MiBox handles this files without problems on 80mhz.

I just need a box, wich wich features the following things:
-4k 10bit HDR
-refresh rate autoswitching
-hd audio passthrough
-wireless remote
-fast wireless network capabilities

I gave a shot on the Vero 4k.
(2017-07-03, 08:04)Xedos9er Wrote: -4k 10bit HDR
You are too early wishing for this to be 100% sorted on any media player running a natively installed Kodi App or Kodi Linux/Windows based media setup.

You might want to have a peek in this 4K HDR 10bit thread for what is being tested with S905X LibreELEC boxes.
Currently needing to fix H264 stutter issues before (Linux) Nougat HDR AMLogic Kernel code is merged into the regular S905/S905X LibreELEC builds.

10Bit is just a wish to be future proof, the other features are must haves!

@wrxtasy
have you ever tested the vero 4k? Is it worth the money?
No, Sam Nazarko has not sent me a Vero 4K to review - maybe he should ? Wink

But I do have a Wireless OSMC Mini remote which is excellent - even has a proper Stop button that other manufacturers do not include on these minimal remotes.. Even work nicely out of the box with LibreELEC.

Is the Vero 4K worth the money ? Depends on what is most important to you to have working out of the box.
Some people just want 4K Plug n Play with minimal hassles - that is the Vero 4K's target market.

Like a AMlogic S905X (4K HDR capable) with:
- stable Linux based OS - called OSMC - running from fast internal eMMC Flash storage.
- an OS that Autoupdates and also Autoupdates Kodi Krypton that is already running on it.
- known working AC WiFi & BT 4.0
- proper integrated Wireless remote
- comes with everything, like proper power pack/adapter for your country.
- even a Vero 4K device mount to attach the box behind the TV.
- personalised, often overnight online support

The DIY crowd will scream its a rip off - because they say I can assemble a LibreELEC AML S905X box myself for a lower price and they probably can with time and research and elbow grease.
BUT what we are finding over in LibreELEC land is that some of the cheap AML S905X boxes have no Linux WiFi drivers available for them at all - so WiFi definitely will not work if you don't do pre-purchase research very carefully.
HDMI-CEC support is a bit spotty as well due to u-boot box differences. Same goes for putting the Box to Sleep and Waking it up.

Known quality hardware with proper driver support is one of the reasons why AMLogic vendors like ODROID, WeTek and MINIX can also charge more for their devices. Every box is going to be the same known hardware, which makes ongoing Software support a LOT easier.

Personally, my current favourite is the S905 Dual Boot unofficial Android TV ROM / LibreELEC / DVB-T/T2 - WeTek Play2 - as it does a bit of everything if you apply a small bit of DIY. But it really needs a Wireless remote like a MINIX A2 lite to reach its full potential and its not the Top Spec AC WiFi - but Dual Band B/G/N. Although it does have Gigabit Ethernet.

So really it comes down to what features do you really need that are the most important and are you the DIY type or Plug n Play ?

I'm a bit confused about the audio out jack on the rear of the mi box. I read that it's a hybrid solution with two ports, but I'm no sure how it works. Do I need to purchase any specific adapter?

Specs say
Quote:AV: SPDIF Out / 3.5mm audio output x 1 port
but the two standards are so different I don't understand how could they share the same port (connector).

At the moment I'm interested in plug in a 3.5mm headphone jack. Actually it's a Y cable with headphone jack on one side and left-right RCA on the other side, which I intend to plug to old hi-fi. Can this be done?

Possibly I can also grab another hi-fi with spdif in, if that can help.
(2017-07-05, 14:56)clemmy Wrote: I'm a bit confused about the audio out jack on the rear of the mi box. I read that it's a hybrid solution with two ports, but I'm no sure how it works. Do I need to purchase any specific adapter?

I don't have this box, but this is a pretty common type of jack on compact laptopts and audio equipment. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Mini-TOSLINK

Mini-TOSLINK is a standardized optical fiber connector smaller than the standard square TOSLINK connector commonly used in larger consumer audio equipment. The plug is almost the same size and shape as the ubiquitous 3.5 mm stereo minijack. Adapters are available to connect a full-size TOSLINK plug to a mini-TOSLINK socket. Combined 3.5 mm jack and mini-TOSLINK sockets exist which can accept a 3.5 mm jack or a mini-TOSLINK plug; mini-TOSLINK plugs are made 0.5 mm longer than electrical jack plugs so that the latter are too short to touch and damage the LED of combined connectors. Many laptop computer and portable digital audio equipment models, such as the Google Chromecast Audio device and Apple AirPort Express and iPod Hi-Fi, use these connectors that allow for the insertion of 3.5 mm analog (electrical) headphone output or microphone input or mini-TOSLINK digital (optical) output.

Your Y cable will work without any problem. The jack is designed for that.
(2017-07-05, 18:58)visiondiez Wrote: I don't have this box, but this is a pretty common type of jack on compact laptopts and audio equipment. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Mini-TOSLINK

Wow! Thanks a lot![emoji1]
The majority of my blu ray rips play smoothly on this machine with the recommended settings found on this forum. One in particular that doesn't though is The Dark Knight. It stutters constantly on Kodi 17.3 no matter what settings I use (tried 24hz, 50hz, 60hz). SPMC is definitely smoother, but it still has the occasional stutter. I'm curious as to why SPMC does a better job...or is there too many variables....?
That particular Dark Knight - VC-1 encoded Bluray rip has issues across when played with ALL AMLogic Android/LibreELEC Kodi platforms.

Its got problematic presentation timestamps (PTS) in its video stream that is hard for video decoders to handle and sync correctly.

AMLogic themselves, various AML Kernel and LibreELEC/Kodi developers spent a great deal of time with test clips on this exact title and it is still causing issues.

You could try an Android Kodi v18 Leia Alpha that has improved code.

But without corresponding AMLogic S905x Kernel patches there will still be problems.
AML S905x - Mi Box Nougat Beta Firmware may have those Kernel patches.

Ultimate Solution > transcode this VC-1 Rip into a H264 compression format and that will give it proper, reliable PTS ;-)

Thanks wrxtasy, your knowledge is unbelievable!
So Im reading on android central that a lot of xiaomi phones have still not got a nougat update, but are due to get it soon, still no word on the mi box, if or when it will come. I'm tempted to buy a shield simply because I like my devices to get the latest updates, but I know as soon as I buy it, the mi box will get the update,

Perhaps the shield would be a bit overkill, since Ill not be gaming, anyone recommend a fast box,4k decent ram, with no wifi issues, at least 3 gigs of ram

The h96 boxes look decent,
What do you exactly want out of an Android Nougat update ?

Why do you need 3GB of RAM if you are not gaming ?

H96 boxes are anything but decent and riddled with bugs. Likely the worst Android device you could buy period - worse that a Beelink GT1 - and that is saying something !

Good luck buying an Android box, just looking on tech specs - that is the road to complete disaster.

There are a bunch of us simply using the Mi Box - Beta Nougat Firmware that is floating around without many issues at all.

(2017-07-09, 14:17)wrxtasy Wrote: What do you exactly want out of an Android Nougat update ?

H96 boxes are anything but decent and riddled with bugs. Likely the worst Android device you could buy period - worse that a Beelink GT1 - and that is saying something !

Good luck buying an Android box, just looking on tech specs - that is the road to complete disaster.

There are a bunch of us simply using the Mi Box - Beta Nougat Firmware that is floating around without many issues at all.

I'm fairly happy with the mi box overall,but reading these forums I see that there are some issues regarding 4k playback and her that I'm not even going to pretend I know about technically.I like to watch 4k on Netflix now and then and just like to know I'm getting the best experience I can.

Regarding ram,more is
Always good.I know that much.I wouldn't particularly go with boxes that have best specs.I know the software is just as important,that's why I went with the Android TV experience with the mi box,but the updates have been lacking
(2017-07-09, 14:17)wrxtasy Wrote: What do you exactly want out of an Android Nougat update ?

But do you prefer the Nougat Beta over the Marshmallow stable?
  • 109(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21