Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
noonzascript Offline
Has anyone tried a PS3 PlayTV USB Tuner with the Nougat beta firmware?
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
It does not work - the PlayTV Tuner power light does not even light up.
TV Picture De-interlacing quality on the Mi Box is poor anyway.

If you want an Android TV platform with a DVB-T/T2 single tuner, get a WeTek Play2 and use Ricardo's ROM.
Works well with SPMC (Jarvis) and also Android TV Live Channels and TvH Beta Apps.

Or the PS3 PlayTV USB Tuner with a AMLogic S8xx/S9xx box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and a TvHeadend server.
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 12:23 by wrxtasy.)
find quote
DEcosse Offline
I'm sure I'm just missing something fundamental here ....
Having problem playing media - appears to be 'playing' however no video and no audio.

Kodi 17.3 installed
If I select a video (regardless of source - even test file from USB stick e.g. BBB) then it 'seems' to be running ........... however ....
the directory view from where it was selected is still in the foreground (ie the video remains in background/minimized);
if I then bring it to the front, you can see the progress bar advancing (like it does when playing) - however there is no video (black screen except for Kodi GUI stuff) and no audio.
As I say, I'm sure this is something fundamental in the settings but unusual that would have NEITHER video or Audio!

Honestly not impressed with this box at all so far - the enforced limitations it has re apps plus the launcher you can't even switch without a hardware connection - these things are all just a pain compared to even cheaper S905X box I have.
Bought it for the convenience of Walmart & regretting it but at least like to see this through functionally.

p.s. the Kodi GUI video and GUI sounds are fine - just video/audio content from media files not showing
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 20:47 by DEcosse.)
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
That is not normal behavior at all. Sounds like a settings issue.

Have you done the usual things like updating Firmware ? (Android Settings > About)
Then clearing Kodi Cache in Android Settings ?

Tip. Use the Mi Box for Android TV and its easy to use Android TV Apps - not Kodi.

Take that S905X box you have a run LibreELEC Krypton on it from a microSDHC card, and still retain Android on internal eMMC storage.

You will have the best of both worlds then with very few limitations.
find quote
DEcosse Offline
Thanks wrxtasy - per the tips, that is exactly how I use my S905X - and why I am probably spoiled.

There is no update available for firmware per the 'check for update'
I cleared the kodi cache - then actually cleared the data also!
So kodi then came up 'virgin' - selected USB file to play and same result - no video or audio.
Then uninstalled Kodi and re-installed - still same

Did full factory reset
reinstalled Kodi - now working normally
So it somehow got its knickers in a twist although who knows what!

I may still end up returning it - just prefer the way I use my S905X box as you suggest, which gives best of both worlds - I use browser apps for an on-line sports subscription I have and getting even the log-in screen to appear on the Mi (and I tried about 4 different browsers!!!) was also a pain.
So may just get another of those as it was doing all I needed.
The good thing is it's not like these cost a lot of money so (almost!) fun to try different stuff and see how it goes.
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 21:35 by DEcosse.)
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
(2017-07-21 07:20)leonel916 Wrote:  So Im looking around for this device. I see the usual black one but I came across a white one which confuses me if that's like a newer one with different specs or just a color? Can someone clear this up for me? thanks
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
Any other Xiaomi Mi Box that is not Model: MDZ-16-AB is really for China domestic consumption only - it it NOT Android TV.

That will be what the White Mi Box is for.
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-21 09:55 by wrxtasy.)
find quote
erondeau Offline
Sad  RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Hi All,

I am using a MI BOX plugged into a very new Onkyo A/V receiver via HDMI. The MIX BOX is running Android 6.0.1 and Kodi 17.3.

The sound settings in Android is set to HDMI and Audio passthrough is enabled in the KODI settings.

However, DTS, DTS-MA or DOLBY-HD are NOT working, my receiver only receive PCM 2.0 audio. BUT, only DOLBY 5.1 is well received.

Any idea of what I am getting wrong?

Very same symptom when using VLC.

MANY thanks for your help!! I confess that I am becoming nuts with this.
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-21 13:25 by erondeau.)
find quote
poulain2k Offline
erondeau : I'm new on this forum, i'm new user to XIAOMI Mi BOX TV 3 and... I have the same problem !

DTS is not working ! it's so bad... GRrr Xiaomi !!

Can you help us ?

Thanks
find quote
erondeau Offline
(2017-07-21 18:23)poulain2k Wrote:  erondeau : I'm new on this forum, i'm new user to XIAOMI Mi BOX TV 3 and... I have the same problem !

DTS is not working ! it's so bad... GRrr Xiaomi !!

Can you help us ?

Thanks

Hi poulain2k, the only way I found to play the files containing DTS is actually to use another app: MX PLAYER. Try it out and let me know. I still have to try an ATMOS stream though.
find quote
poulain2k Offline
I am French but I reply in English.

I have tested MX Player but it does not support DTS, the application is well below my expectations. Kodi is very nice to use but still no pass trough.

Some forums say it will come from Android TV.
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
Start Kodi Audio setup again from scratch:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2591652

And yes AC3, DTS & HD Passthrough Audio have all been confirmed working on the Mi Box:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2604074
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-22 09:00 by wrxtasy.)
find quote
erondeau Offline
(2017-07-22 08:56)wrxtasy Wrote:  Start Kodi Audio setup again from scratch:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2591652

And yes AC3, DTS & HD Passthrough Audio have all been confirmed working on the Mi Box:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2604074

Thanks wrxtasy, I tried that, actually many times, even deinstalling and reinstalling KODI, still, it won't bitstream any DTS, DTS-MA, or Dolby-HD.
find quote
erondeau Offline
One thing though wrxtasy, you mention "And then simply ONLY select what passthrough options you want. " but I don't see in the Menu where we can do something like this, Passtrrough is a yes/no question, the only other menu item below Allow Passthrough is "Passthrough output device" but this is greyed and set to "Android, audiotrack"
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-22 09:46 by erondeau.)
find quote
poulain2k Offline
OK OK !

It's no so easy to read in english for me ! I'm french but i have found the solution on another thread.

On settings, go to EXPERT MODE for choose AC3, DTS and MORE !! Perfect for me !!

DTS HD.MA option actived... No sound for a movie with DTS HD MA... but desactived.... OK for this movie with DTS HD.MA sounds.

It's OK for KODI !! I have tr on SRMP but all is not OK... ! Best is KODI for me. it's not very EASY.

wrxtasy : In SPMC or Kodi Audio Setting you have to select "Expert" bottom Left of screen for the HD Audio options to appear.
For all audio trouble shooting, Kodi Audio setting should first be Reset to default, then Expert, then only select the pass through options needed. DO NOT play with the Audio Channels number. Leave it at 2.0.
There are Android system setting that need selecting for HDR, namely Deep Color and the HDR option. You have to use SPMC/Kodi Media Codec(S) (video) Hardware acceleration as well.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-22 22:17 by poulain2k.)
find quote