• 143(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Unfortunately it looks like Xiaomi has abandoned Mi Box. Probably they are going to release a new version of it.
(2018-04-15, 20:59)busta.rhymes Wrote: Since I needed a cheap kodi solution again, i went ahead and ordered a MiBox.
Now two my dissapointment i only just read about the incapability of auto framerate switching.

I must wait and see if this is a no go for me or if i can get over the microstutters in playback at 60hz since i wont bother goint back and forth and switching framerate manualy.
I guess if the Mibox turns out to not be the right hardware for me my only option is to go to a nvidia shield again in the Android TV Market. Or maybe to go to a cheap libre elec solution.

Would the auto framerate switching be automatically fixed with a higher version of android or does this feature require deaper changes from Xiaomi? Just want to know what the issue is.

The Google Nexus Player supportet it. But the google Nexus Player isnt an option for me anymore since with the oreo update things werent working so good for me anymore.
I Kept getting kicked out of kodi into the main menu and so on and had a lot of navigation problems of this kind to the point where i sold the device.
Also the whole look of Android TV in Oreo on the nexus Player made navigating more komplicated for me.

I for myself would love a good android tv device but i just dont want to shell out 200€ for an nvidia Shield wich only does Kodi and Youtube for me.
Any ideas from you guys? Maybe i should take a look at a wetek hub or something else?
Any thoughts?
Pure Android Kodi devices that do auto frame rate matching (refresh switching):

- NVIDIA Shield
- MINIX U9
- WeTek Hub / Play2

I would not use the 1GB RAM Hub for anything Android - 1GB RAM slows down Android devices far to much to be bearable. Perfectly fine for LibreELEC tho.

Yes dual boot Android / LibreELEC devices provide the most flexibility these days if you are a demanding Kodi user and need refresh (& resolution) switching. On a budget and still need 1080p copy protected video streaming - like Netflix etc. then the (dual boot) MECOOL M8S Pro L is worth a look, some models even come with wireless Voice remotes. AND they are running out of the box Android TV OS - Nougat.
About the only thing lacking is Chromecasting.

(2018-04-16, 09:14)wrxtasy Wrote: Pure Android Kodi devices that do auto frame rate matching (refresh switching):

- NVIDIA Shield
- MINIX U9
- WeTek Hub / Play2

I would not use the 1GB RAM Hub for anything Android - 1GB RAM slows down Android devices far to much to be bearable. Perfectly fine for LibreELEC tho.

Yes dual boot Android / LibreELEC devices provide the most flexibility these days if you are a demanding Kodi user and need refresh (& resolution) switching. On a budget and still need 1080p copy protected video streaming - like Netflix etc. then the (dual boot) MECOOL M8S Pro L is worth a look, some models even come with wireless Voice remotes. About the only thing lacking is Chromecasting.
 When using Android Devices i prefer using Android TV since the OS is so much better for the TV. In this regard the available boxes are quite limited. Ill give the MiBox a try and if the Microstutters Bug me to much i might go back to a libreelec box. Thanks for your thoughts.
Just be aware some MECOOL boxes these days are running out of the box an unofficial version of Android TV OS - Nougat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeIqU_gbWQ&t=3s

(2018-04-16, 11:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Just be aware some MECOOL boxes these days are running out of the box an unofficial version of Android TV OS - Nougat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeIqU_gbWQ&t=3s
Yeah, i tend to stay away from the no name no name boxes... Only reason i got a mibox was because it was recommended in the hardware thread. 
My thoughts right now are that if the mibox doesnt satisfy me ill probably go back to the nvidia shield. Or build an Intel Nuc for libre elec.
Both options are way more expensive but probably would make me more happy. But who knows, maybe the mibox does the job ok.
(2018-04-16, 08:59)busta.rhymes Wrote:
(2018-04-15, 20:59)busta.rhymes Wrote:  
Any thoughts? 

Try turning off the motion interpolation feature on your TV. If your TV set is one of those 100hz, 120hz 200hz, 240hz models, they normally have motion interpolation built-in, with all kinds of fancy names like, Motionflow (Sony), Trumotion (LG),  Clear Motion Rate (Samsung), Intelligent Frames Creation (Panasonic), etc. The feature makes video playback silky smooth (cheap, fake or unrealistic to some people) but it also makes microstutter (if there's any) much worse and noticeable. You'll probably find that you can live with the problem after turning off motion interpolation.
(2018-04-16, 23:50)gotiuser01 Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 08:59)busta.rhymes Wrote:
(2018-04-15, 20:59)busta.rhymes Wrote:  
Any thoughts?   

Try turning off the motion interpolation feature on your TV. If your TV set is one of those 100hz, 120hz 200hz, 240hz models, they normally have motion interpolation built-in, with all kinds of fancy names like, Motionflow (Sony), Trumotion (LG),  Clear Motion Rate (Samsung), Intelligent Frames Creation (Panasonic), etc. The feature makes video playback silky smooth (cheap, fake or unrealistic to some people) but it also makes microstutter (if there's any) much worse and noticeable. You'll probably find that you can live with the problem after turning off motion interpolation.  

Motion Interpolation is always best disabled in any circumstance.  You're just asking a computer to guess what direction every pixel in a frame is travelling in and generate intermediates... It seldom works effectively, and often goes spectacularly wrong...  It also doesn't solve temporal aliasing. (Waggon wheels just go backwards more smoothly, they don't suddenly start moving forward...)
(2018-04-17, 00:01)noggin Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 23:50)gotiuser01 Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 08:59)busta.rhymes Wrote: Any thoughts?   

Motion Interpolation is always best disabled in any circumstance.  You're just asking a computer to guess what direction every pixel in a frame is travelling in and generate intermediates... It seldom works effectively, and often goes spectacularly wrong...  It also doesn't solve temporal aliasing. (Waggon wheels just go backwards more smoothly, they don't suddenly start moving forward...) 
Not the case with newer TVs with better, smarter algorithms though. I'm actually very sensitive to the inherent artifacts caused by motion interpolation and I wrote my own Avisynth scripts to enable the feature for video playback on my PC. But when I watch a movie with motion interpolation on newer TVs, I couldn't detect those artifacts even when I know very well where to look for them. It's like they were shot natively in 60fps. Nowadays, it's either you like the effect or you do not.
(2018-04-17, 00:19)gotiuser01 Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 23:50)gotiuser01 Wrote: Try turning off the motion interpolation feature on your TV. If your TV set is one of those 100hz, 120hz 200hz, 240hz models, they normally have motion interpolation built-in, with all kinds of fancy names like, Motionflow (Sony), Trumotion (LG),  Clear Motion Rate (Samsung), Intelligent Frames Creation (Panasonic), etc. The feature makes video playback silky smooth (cheap, fake or unrealistic to some people) but it also makes microstutter (if there's any) much worse and noticeable. You'll probably find that you can live with the problem after turning off motion interpolation.   

Not the case with newer TVs with better, smarter algorithms though. I'm actually very sensitive to the inherent artifacts caused by motion interpolation and I wrote my own Avisynth scripts to enable the feature for video playback on my PC. But when I watch a movie with motion interpolation on newer TVs, I couldn't detect those artifacts even when I know very well where to look for them. It's like they were shot natively in 60fps. Nowadays, it's either you like the effect or you do not. 

It's certainly true of current Sony TVs. The artefacts stick out a mile to me. And they still don't remove aliasing - wagon wheels still go backwards not smoothly, rather than forwards...
(2018-04-17, 00:19)gotiuser01 Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 23:50)gotiuser01 Wrote: Try turning off the motion interpolation feature on your TV. If your TV set is one of those 100hz, 120hz 200hz, 240hz models, they normally have motion interpolation built-in, with all kinds of fancy names like, Motionflow (Sony), Trumotion (LG),  Clear Motion Rate (Samsung), Intelligent Frames Creation (Panasonic), etc. The feature makes video playback silky smooth (cheap, fake or unrealistic to some people) but it also makes microstutter (if there's any) much worse and noticeable. You'll probably find that you can live with the problem after turning off motion interpolation.   

It's certainly true of current Sony TVs (I've owned various models with it and have a current high-end LCD UHD HDR display). The artefacts still stick out a mile to me on mine, and even relatively light compression artefacts make things a lot, lot worse.  Every so often I enable it.  I don't last more than a couple of minutes before the artefacts become too annoying.  

Plus they still don't remove temporal aliasing (I don't see how they can) - wagon wheels still go backwards not smoothly, rather than forwards that would be the case if you sampled natively at the interpolated frame rate...

That said - I do work in broadcast, and part of my job is spotting faults in the broadcast production chain (flash frames, frame rate conversion errors, compression artefacts, interlace errors etc.) so I may be more attuned to image sequence faults.
Android 8.0.0 released for MIBOX3

Released as in OTA update?
I've been told by Xiaomi Mi Box beta testers to look out for a Android TV - Oreo Mi Box OTA update.

Should be gradually rolling out to various regions worldwide...

I've seen nothing yet personally.

Nothing on my android 7 beta mibox 3 yet..which is still propose 424.5 MB OTA system update (Android 6)

(2018-04-30, 06:20)wrxtasy Wrote: I've been told by Xiaomi Mi Box beta testers to look out for a Android TV - Oreo Mi Box OTA update.

Should be gradually rolling out to various regions worldwide...

I've seen nothing yet personally.
  • 143(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21