• 185(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
No HD sound on mibox S.
(2019-04-06, 13:58)Ogreen Wrote: No HD sound on mibox S.

I know but Kodi is not capable of convert to multi channel?
I tested mkv dts hd Master and I have 5.1 output with kodi on my S.
(2019-04-06, 15:15)Ogreen Wrote: I tested mkv dts hd Master and I have 5.1 output with kodi on my S.

Weird I will hard reset to check if it solves...
(2019-04-05, 16:01)TaMaX Wrote: Perhaps its little off topic, but with new update you can also use my app that i created originally for Shield TV.
It allows to set different refresh rate per app, and quick change refresh rate by osd menu.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rate-tool/

Is it possible to create custom refresh rate like 23.976*3=71.928Hz and 72.000Hz? Is it possible to check if monitor will support 23.976Hz and 24.000Hz before buying new monitor?
(2019-04-09, 03:09)Kamil950 Wrote:
(2019-04-05, 16:01)TaMaX Wrote: Perhaps its little off topic, but with new update you can also use my app that i created originally for Shield TV.
It allows to set different refresh rate per app, and quick change refresh rate by osd menu.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rate-tool/

Is it possible to create custom refresh rate like 23.976*3=71.928Hz and 72.000Hz? Is it possible to check if monitor will support 23.976Hz and 24.000Hz before buying new monitor? 
Perhaps in the near future when you buy HDMI 2.2 TV and box that also supports it (variable refresh rate) Wink
And before you buy monitor, read its tech spec, simple.
Không biết hỗ trợ Netflix HD hay UHD vậy ??
(2019-04-05, 12:59)ikarione Wrote:
(2019-04-05, 03:35)fleeball Wrote:
(2019-04-04, 08:02)chrisrey Wrote: firmware 2562
Received the update as well. Haven;'t noticed any differences as yet. 4K over wifi is still a no go.

After this update I was able to play matrix 4k remux over my network. I tested many times before and didn't work.  
My update from 2550 to 2562 was only 30MB in size and it only said something about a fix for some random black screens.

Anyway, I also noticed that some high bitrate 4K videos do now work over 5Ghz wifi that did not work before.

But there is still something fishy going on with the resolution/picture quality. I noticed some banding in one of my 4K test videos where there is a blue sky. There seems to be banding just like in this picture:
https://www.burosch.de/images/banding/Philips04.jpg

Earlier this used to happen if mi box resolution was not set to 4K when playing a 4K video so there was some scaling involved but now the autoresolution/frame rate switch works at least in paper but I bet there is still something wrong with it... Or my settings perhaps, dunno. I tested the same video directly from my TV and there was no banding what so ever in the picture but my tv just can't handle the bitrate Sad
Oh boy, I've been waiting for the Mi Box S update for ages and now that it comes out I don't feel like it fixes my problem, it actually makes it worse.

Aside from other minor issues that I didn't really care about all I was waiting for was for the TVheadend TV streams to be fluid. I was using Kodi on a Rpi 3, I have a TVHeadend server set up and I could see the TV stream with the HTSP without any stutter although I didn't have checked the auto refresh rate switching in kodi. In the Mi Box S it's that feeling that it has a very low framerate (only when streaming TV) so I thought it was stuttering. The update comes out and I inmediatly activate the option... and things went worse. It now stutters even more. If I stream a file it works flawlessly but not on streaming. I have the feeling that it has to do either with the HTSP plugin or with the Mi Box internals. I'm hopeless now sin the auto refresh rate switching was my last hope to fix the problem.

I have to admit though that I only felt that stuttering while watching sports. F1, Moto GP, when the camera moves on a curve it feels stuttery, movies and programs don't show this behaviour.

I guess I'll have to keep the Rpi 3 to view sports fluently Sad
TvH and deinterlaced output picture quality for the majority or AMLogic devices has never been that good since Android Kodi started using Mediacodec only hardware decoding.

There are bugs in the underlying Android EXOplayer too with AMLogic hardware, so interlaced content watched using Android TV Live Channels is no good either.

Deinterlaced picture outputs are half motion, which is not good at all for sports containing lots of movement. And SD mpeg2 content appears blocky. The deinterlaced picture is also dull vs what it should be.

These are known problems, that have not been fixed in years. They look very low priority for bug fixing.

The exact same Chipset in other devices , using AMLcodec hardware decoding with Linux Kodi (LibreELEC/ CoreELEC) produces great full motion deinterlacing, with the best picture output quality now being the produced by the AMLogic S922X.

(2019-04-12, 01:28)wrxtasy Wrote: TvH and deinterlaced output picture quality for the majority or AMLogic devices has never been that good since Android Kodi started using Mediacodec only hardware decoding.

There are bugs in the underlying Android EXOplayer too with AMLogic hardware, so interlaced content watched using Android TV Live Channels is no good either.

Deinterlaced picture outputs are half motion, which is not good at all for sports containing lots of movement. And SD mpeg2 content appears blocky. The deinterlaced picture is also dull vs what it should be.

These are known problems, that have not been fixed in years. They look very low priority for bug fixing.

The exact same Chipset in other devices , using AMLcodec hardware decoding with Linux Kodi (LibreELEC/ CoreELEC) produces great full motion deinterlacing, with the best picture output quality now being the produced by the AMLogic S922X.

Thank you very much for the clarification, I had read something about bad deinterlacing capabilities of the AMLogic hardware but never really thought that it was the responsible for the "stuttering" image experience.

I have to say that the image quality per se is quite on pair with the rPi 3 Kodi experience, I only feel that it's not smooth.

Being the problem that deinterlacing issue I wonder if I could do the deinterlacing in my TVHeadend server so it doesn't have to be done in the client. Thank you, I'll look for a solution there (if I can ever manage to fix that)
I do not have a AVR, but with the last update of Mi box 3 in kodi there is not anymore the option to select Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.
(2019-04-12, 18:44)Oibaf Wrote: I do not have a AVR, but with the last update of Mi box 3 in kodi there is not anymore the option to select Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.

OMG is this true? I'm shocked that xiaomi would actually do that and cripple this device. I don't have an AVR either but I will purchase one once my finances permit me, so those audio features are so important for me to stay on mb3 on every firmware iteration. If the last updated really nuked DtS-HD MA audio passthrough and Dolby TrueHD, I'm staying with 2550.

I hope someone with an avr can confirm that those features are indeed removed on the latest firmware update.
(2019-04-12, 19:21)onoakino Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 18:44)Oibaf Wrote: I do not have a AVR, but with the last update of Mi box 3 in kodi there is not anymore the option to select Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.

OMG is this true? I'm shocked that xiaomi would actually do that and cripple this device. I don't have an AVR either but I will purchase one once my finances permit me, so those audio features are so important for me to stay on mb3 on every firmware iteration. If the last updated really nuked DtS-HD MA audio passthrough and Dolby TrueHD, I'm staying with 2550.

I hope someone with an avr can confirm that those features are indeed removed on the latest firmware update.

They have not nuked anything HD audio related, using very latest FW update - v2562.
2016 Mi Box - HD audio still works for me and is selectable in Kodi Leia with my Yamaha AVR. (2018 Mi Box S has no Kodi HD audio output support)

Suggest - in Kodi Leia Audio Settings - Expert mode - down bottom - Reset above settings to Default. Then exit Kodi and reboot the Mi Box.

- and then only select the Passthru Kodi audio options required.

Well that is your problem right there in a nutshell - does your TV support 7.1 HD audio via HDMI 2.0, I doubt it does ?

TV's / AVR's/Soundbars should always be ON before starting Kodi too, so Kodi Leia can grab audio outputs capabilities from HDMI connected devices.

Hi guys. Just purchased a new Mi Box S and have a few questions/issues. It received the latest updates.

1. There's a pixel in the top left corner that's not quite right. It's either fully lit and distracting, or simply dark as if dead. I saw a few complaints about this but they were old so I assumed it would be fixed by now? 

2. When waking up from sleep sometimes it's so sluggish it's basically unusable and needs a reset. Again I've seen complaints and suggestions to enable hdmi cec, will see how that works out. 

3. How do I enable  auto framerate switching? If I let it pick it's resolution automatically under video options it picks 720p@60hz and stays like that no matter I play (netflix/hbogo/vlc). The TV is 1080p and handles 24hz with no issues.

Thanks!
  • 185(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21