• 188(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2019-05-12, 01:17)SkOrPn Wrote: I have a quick question please about resolution support.

Our TV is a old 2006 Samsung 720p set that was top of the line way back when and I mean it won many best of the best awards for HD back then. We also have a new fairly expensive TCL 4K set that absolutely sucks when compared to the old 720p, even after proper tweaking has been applied. So I put the new MiBox S on the old 720p TV in order to turn it into a smart TV. And we love it. 

Here's the issue, all the apps and the device itself identifies the 720p/60 set just fine but Kodi only allows you to select 1080p. This forces me to have to massively adjust the screen overscan setting to compensate for the misidentified resolution. After first installing Kodi when you go into the settings the entire screen is completely useless as it's so large (1080p on a 720p screen). Thankfully I knew where to blindly find the display page, but again it shows only two resolutions I can select, 1080p or 1080p, lol. 

So does anyone know why kodi 18.2 is doing that and how to force kodi to give us the proper 720p resolution setting? 

Thanks for any insight into why Kodi is doing this. 

SkOrPn
I observed the same thing, although in my case my 720p TV screen accepts 1080p as input, and displays it correctly. But I see that the settings in Kodi only proposes 1080p. If I set 720p resolution at the Android level, and play 720p content within Kodi without framerate autoswitching, then the screen stays in 720p. However with 720p content and autoframerate, Kodi switches the output to 1080p.
(2019-04-13, 04:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 19:21)onoakino Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 18:44)Oibaf Wrote: I do not have a AVR, but with the last update of Mi box 3 in kodi there is not anymore the option to select Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.

OMG is this true? I'm shocked that xiaomi would actually do that and cripple this device. I don't have an AVR either but I will purchase one once my finances permit me, so those audio features are so important for me to stay on mb3 on every firmware iteration. If the last updated really nuked DtS-HD MA audio passthrough and Dolby TrueHD, I'm staying with 2550.

I hope someone with an avr can confirm that those features are indeed removed on the latest firmware update.  

They have not nuked anything HD audio related, using very latest FW update - v2562.
2016 Mi Box - HD audio still works for me and is selectable in Kodi Leia with my Yamaha AVR. (2018 Mi Box S has no Kodi HD audio output support)

Suggest - in Kodi Leia Audio Settings - Expert mode - down bottom - Reset above settings to Default. Then exit Kodi and reboot the Mi Box.

- and then only select the Passthru Kodi audio options required.
(2019-04-12, 18:44)Oibaf Wrote: I do not have a AVR, but with the last update of Mi box 3 in kodi there is not anymore the option to select Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.

Well that is your problem right there in a nutshell - does your TV support 7.1 HD audio via HDMI 2.0, I doubt it does ?

TV's / AVR's/Soundbars should always be ON before starting Kodi too, so Kodi Leia can grab audio outputs capabilities from HDMI connected devices.  

I seem to have actually hit this issue in one of the recent updates. I no longer see the TrueHD or DTS-HD options in the Kodi audio settings (expert mode).

My Mibox 3 (not S) is connected to an Atmos soundbar and could previously pass through bitstreamed TrueHD Atmos (my Xbox One still can).

If the following is to be believed, maybe Xiaomi did follow through on their promise: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...t_was_the/

My Kodi log here: https://paste.kodi.tv/odicimusoy.kodi
(2019-05-28, 23:41)irond13 Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 04:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 19:21)onoakino Wrote: OMG is this true? I'm shocked that xiaomi would actually do that and cripple this device. I don't have an AVR either but I will purchase one once my finances permit me, so those audio features are so important for me to stay on mb3 on every firmware iteration. If the last updated really nuked DtS-HD MA audio passthrough and Dolby TrueHD, I'm staying with 2550.

I hope someone with an avr can confirm that those features are indeed removed on the latest firmware update.  

They have not nuked anything HD audio related, using very latest FW update - v2562.
2016 Mi Box - HD audio still works for me and is selectable in Kodi Leia with my Yamaha AVR. (2018 Mi Box S has no Kodi HD audio output support)

Suggest - in Kodi Leia Audio Settings - Expert mode - down bottom - Reset above settings to Default. Then exit Kodi and reboot the Mi Box.

- and then only select the Passthru Kodi audio options required.

Well that is your problem right there in a nutshell - does your TV support 7.1 HD audio via HDMI 2.0, I doubt it does ?

TV's / AVR's/Soundbars should always be ON before starting Kodi too, so Kodi Leia can grab audio outputs capabilities from HDMI connected devices.  

I seem to have actually hit this issue in one of the recent updates. I no longer see the TrueHD or DTS-HD options in the Kodi audio settings (expert mode).

My Mibox 3 (not S) is connected to an Atmos soundbar and could previously pass through bitstreamed TrueHD Atmos (my Xbox One still can).

If the following is to be believed, maybe Xiaomi did follow through on their promise: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...t_was_the/

My Kodi log here: https://paste.kodi.tv/odicimusoy.kodi

It is still working for me, but I didn't have any update this month.
(2019-05-28, 23:47)Konst Wrote: It is still working for me, but I didn't have any update this month.

Thanks for checking! Do you by any chance know what build number you’re on?
(2019-05-29, 09:48)irond13 Wrote:
(2019-05-28, 23:47)Konst Wrote: It is still working for me, but I didn't have any update this month.

Thanks for checking! Do you by any chance know what build number you’re on?

OPR16.170623.013.2562
Thanks very much for confirming! Looks like I'm on the same version, so I'll need to do more debugging on my end.

Last question if I may, do you know what Kodi version you have? Is it the latest version from the Play store?
Version 18.2 from Play store
(2019-05-29, 17:11)Konst Wrote: Version 18.2 from Play store

Thanks! Exact same version as me.

My quest continues then. This evening I'm going to try the forceraw build. It could be that my receiver/soundbar (K950) is the problem here.

Interestingly, after the Oreo update I couldn't get any DD+ out of the native Netflix app (just got silence), but last night I tried the Netflix Kodi Add-on and got perfectly working DD+ (and the other bells & whistles, e.g. 4k/HDR). I hope that won't stop working with the forceraw build.
I am using very similar soundbar, N950. I cannot confirm for 100% if DD+ is being send correctly, because this soundbar reports only Dolby atmos and dts-x, but based on a sound it is working fine. I can clearly hear different speakers when my soundbar is in standard mode so it should not emulate anything.
Xiaomi is still doing bug fixing testing it seems...

Beta Build 2573 dropped this morning with:

- better USB adapter support
- security updates
- general bug fixes and stability improvements

The big one is there are no longer any DD+ audio dropouts when using 5.1 audio passthrough with Netflix and Kodi Apps.

(2019-06-17, 07:20)wrxtasy Wrote: Xiaomi is still doing bug fixing testing it seems...

- security updates

The big one is there are no longer any DD+ audio dropouts when using 5.1 audio passthrough with Netflix and Kodi Apps.
Great news. When I bought the device two years ago, I really didn't think they would keep releasing updates and fixes two years on.
(2019-06-17, 07:20)wrxtasy Wrote: Xiaomi is still doing bug fixing testing it seems...

- security updates

Any update on TrueHD or DTS-HD passthrough support on either the S or non S variants? 

Their last public communication was that they were removing support on the non S as it was never included on purpose (even though it worked on the older non S model prior to the S release).

- security updates

I thought this is a regular update, because I am not in any beta group and received it yesterday
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
I received this update too. I'm not a beta tester!
I just purchased the mi box s in the hope to play (passthrough to reciever) DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD ... is there any way to achieve this with custom firmware/ software downgrade or some other way?
  • 188(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21