• 190(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Anything is possible.
Is there any way i can access "Root Filesystem" from within Kodi Filemanager? I need to add my external hardrive as a source, but i cannot go into root filesystem so that i can find it and add it....
I have MiBox S.
(2019-07-09, 17:25)vitocorl Wrote: Is there any way i can access "Root Filesystem" from within Kodi Filemanager? I need to add my external hardrive as a source, but i cannot go into root filesystem so that i can find it and add it....
I have MiBox S.
I haven't found a way to access "Root Filesystem" from Kodi but what I did do to access my harddrive files was manually type in the path to the drive, i.e. /storage/7C02ADFXXXX
(2019-07-23, 20:38)rey031 Wrote:
(2019-07-09, 17:25)vitocorl Wrote: Is there any way i can access "Root Filesystem" from within Kodi Filemanager? I need to add my external hardrive as a source, but i cannot go into root filesystem so that i can find it and add it....
I have MiBox S.
I haven't found a way to access "Root Filesystem" from Kodi but what I did do to access my harddrive files was manually type in the path to the drive, i.e. /storage/7C02ADFXXXX 
I forgot to tell you that I was also able to add my videos to my Kodi library without having to add specific hard drive folders to a source. I just browsed my hard drive from the Kodi > Videos > Files (you should see your hard drives listed) and once I selected a folder with my video files, I pressed "c" on my wireless keyboard to access context menu and select... I forgot what it said specifically (I'm not in front of my Mi Box S right now) but it's the menu item that tells Kodi what type of files that folder has. When I set it to movies, for example, it automatically included it in the library scan.
Sorry to ask here, I know is not the proper place but it is the only place I know that seems to be well aware of the sound issues with this device.

I have a Mi Box 3 I bought recently and updated to latest firmware mentioned in this tread. Audio works great with Kodi -DTS support work flawlessly-, and when I tested Netflix for the first time it seemed to use Dolby to and give surround sound, but now my home cinema shows  "direct " instead of "dolby" when I use Netflix and it doesn't seem to be outputting surround. Any idea what can be causing this?
(2019-07-27, 16:10)madmalkav Wrote: Sorry to ask here, I know is not the proper place but it is the only place I know that seems to be well aware of the sound issues with this device.

I have a Mi Box 3 I bought recently and updated to latest firmware mentioned in this tread. Audio works great with Kodi -DTS support work flawlessly-, and when I tested Netflix for the first time it seemed to use Dolby to and give surround sound, but now my home cinema shows  "direct " instead of "dolby" when I use Netflix and it doesn't seem to be outputting surround. Any idea what can be causing this?

Does your surround sound that is connected to the Mi Box 3 support DTS/Dolby-HD? If is has no support, netflix won't give you 5.1 audio. I think the Mi Box S does not support 5.1 audio in Netflix, but I think the Mi Box 3 should still support it. I'm not a expert though.
All externally connected Android TV media players that are Netflix 5.1 audio capable have to be connected to a DD+ audio receiver otherwise they will output only 2.0 Netflix (or Prime Video) audio.

This is a major problem for those will older audio devices wanting 5.1 Dolby audio from copy protected video streaming Apps.

Buy a FireTV or Apple TV if you want proper 5.1 Dolby audio support from those pre mentioned Apps. Those device have properly implemented Dolby Audio licences to provide legacy DD only audio support.

Mi Box MDZ-16-AB 
  • Can it reliable do 4k HDR on Youtube, Amazon, Netflix, Kodi?
  • Would I be able to get DD 5.1 audio via Toslink/Optical from Youtube, Amazon, Netflix, Kodi videos?
I have old DTS/DD Optical/Coaxial Receiver.
DD 5.1 only in kodi.
Is it possible set mi box to convert signal as shown below

SDR: 4k24 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit Rec709 Convert to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709

HDR: 10-bit Rec2020 Convert to 4k24 / 4:2:2 / 12-bit Rec2020

I have Epson 5040ub and it has a bandwidth limitation of 10 Gbps. Some blu-ray (Phillips, Panasonic), xbox one s/x, apple tv 4k does that.
(2019-07-27, 18:47)wrxtasy Wrote: All externally connected Android TV media players that are Netflix 5.1 audio capable have to be connected to a DD+ audio receiver otherwise they will output only 2.0 Netflix (or Prime Video) audio.

This is a major problem for those will older audio devices wanting 5.1 Dolby audio from copy protected video streaming Apps.

Buy a FireTV or Apple TV if you want proper 5.1 Dolby audio support from those pre mentioned Apps. Those device have properly implemented Dolby Audio licences to provide legacy DD only audio support.

I have a DD+ compatible receiver connected by HDMI ( Onkyo HTX-22HDX ). Also, I'm pretty sure DD worked with Netflix when I tried for the first time -haven't used it for a while-, that is why I find it so weird.

PS: OK, forget it, seems to be a problem with a particular series. It is marked as having 5.1 audio but I get no Dolby with that one. Tried a different one and got DD+ audio without problem.
(2019-07-29, 19:26)madmalkav Wrote:
(2019-07-27, 18:47)wrxtasy Wrote: All externally connected Android TV media players that are Netflix 5.1 audio capable have to be connected to a DD+ audio receiver otherwise they will output only 2.0 Netflix (or Prime Video) audio.

I have a DD+ compatible receiver connected by HDMI ( Onkyo HTX-22HDX ). Also, I'm pretty sure DD worked with Netflix when I tried for the first time -haven't used it for a while-, that is why I find it so weird.

PS: OK, forget it, seems to be a problem with a particular series. It is marked as having 5.1 audio but I get no Dolby with that one. Tried a different one and got DD+ audio without problem. 
I had to change a setting in my Mi Box S for Netflix to output DD+ to my receiver. If memory serves me right, it was something like setting audio output to Auto instead of PCM (I assume auto let's the box output as pass-through). I was able to confirm this by checking the audio signal input type in my receiver's info screen before and after the change in setting.
(2019-07-30, 05:37)rey031 Wrote:
(2019-07-29, 19:26)madmalkav Wrote:

I had to change a setting in my Mi Box S for Netflix to output DD+ to my receiver. If memory serves me right, it was something like setting audio output to Auto instead of PCM (I assume auto let's the box output as pass-through). I was able to confirm this by checking the audio signal input type in my receiver's info screen before and after the change in setting. 

I tested it with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (dope movie, awesome DD+ and sountrack Smile ). Btw, I don't see a way for me to edit my post that's why I reply instead. Is there a way here for me to edit my post?
I have spent the last two hours searching the internet and has not become any wiser.

I understand completely that MI box does not do dd+ - > dd with official netflix app, because of dishonest marketing.

However with netflix plugin to kodi, can kodi transcode netflix 5.1 DD+ -> 5.1 DD?

Also I cannot seem to figure out can anything at all be streamed at 1080p in either netflix app or kodi netflix addon? Or im locked to 580p?
(2019-08-10, 10:06)mcmanuf Wrote: I have spent the last two hours searching the internet and has not become any wiser.

I understand completely that MI box does not do dd+ - > dd with official netflix app, because of dishonest marketing.

That is correct, or a buggy Dolby Audio licence implementation. Such DD+ Netflix App audio downmixing works fine on FireTV and Apple TV devices.

Quote:However with netflix plugin to kodi, can kodi transcode netflix 5.1 DD+ -> 5.1 DD?

Yes

Quote:Also I cannot seem to figure out can anything at all be streamed at 1080p in either netflix app or kodi netflix addon? Or im locked to 580p?

Netflix App on approved Netflix media players / TV's = 1080p or 4K all the time.

Kodi Leia Netflix App = 1080p or 4K but only with Netflix Original Content, everything else will be Max. 960x540p

• 190(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21