• 44(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Any word on when Xiaomi will update this little box for HDR support via Netflix and the like(ex: YouTube HDR)?

Sent from my Pixel XL
Would be awesome if you could share the recommended android settings @wrxtasy and SPMC settings @Koying for this device!

(2016-12-02, 10:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-12-02, 09:43)xoding Wrote: So the International Version of this box on Aliexpress is legit right? Everything works, including streaming 1080p on Netflix? Can someone please give some update?
Yes it Legit...

I had an International version Mi Box arrive this morning for my sister from Aliexpress and it is the same Spec (MDZ-16-AB) as the USA Mi Box minus the Orange box packaging. Oh and this one came with a Euro Plug Power Pack.

A word of warning there is a seller on Aliexpress called MOBASE I had quite a number of problems with them with incorrect tracking (x3). Extensive delays and deceptive conduct. Other guys from Oz have been using the MeMoSmart Store with good service.

Stay away from the MOBASE store.
(2016-12-02, 09:43)xoding Wrote: So the International Version of this box on Aliexpress is legit right? Everything works, including streaming 1080p on Netflix? Can someone please give some update?
Yes it Legit...

I had an International version Mi Box arrive this morning for my sister from Aliexpress and it is the same Spec (MDZ-16-AB) as the USA Mi Box minus the Orange box packaging. Oh and this one came with a Euro Plug Power Pack.

A word of warning there is a seller on Aliexpress called MOBASE I had quite a number of problems with them with incorrect tracking (x3). Extensive delays and deceptive conduct. Other guys from Oz have been using the MeMoSmart Store with good service.

I have the aliexpress "International Version" as well and appears to be legit and has some sort of 12 month trial Netflix license, but for some reason I can't get it working. It won't even launch fully only lets you into Netflix settings. Gives some error code nw-2-5 even though when I go into the Network Test in the Netflix settings works fine.

Looking online it seems to be a very common issue with these Android TV boxes including the NVIDIA shield etc..

I tried the resets, uninstalling and reinstalling etc.. but didn't seem to help. Anyone familiar these issues? Could even be because I live in Hong Kong and that Netflix for android tv isn't available.
(2016-12-02, 14:37)apgood Wrote:
Yes it Legit...

I have the aliexpress "International Version" as well and appears to be legit and has some sort of 12 month trial Netflix license, but for some reason I can't get it working. It won't even launch fully only lets you into Netflix settings. Gives some error code nw-2-5 even though when I go into the Network Test in the Netflix settings works fine.

Looking online it seems to be a very common issue with these Android TV boxes including the NVIDIA shield etc..

I tried the resets, uninstalling and reinstalling etc.. but didn't seem to help. Anyone familiar these issues? Could even be because I live in Hong Kong and that Netflix for android tv isn't available.
Off top!!!

How you get 12month of free with Netflix??
That's what the code in Netflix seems to imply. I've never used Netflix so not 100% sure.

I'm also not sure if it is purely for the Netflix app or could be taken advantage of through some sort of Kodi add-on
Still waiting for mine.. soon i can tell.
It has dispatched 3 days ago from China
Mine arrived today, but I had to pay 20€ taxes
(2016-11-29, 21:27)xel_arjona Wrote: So... No Bluetooth DualShock3(4) controller support..? I seen some youtube videos where ppl are using them with XBox One bluetooth's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHU08zbFvA

How this box compares with MINIX AmLogic S905X Neo U1...?

Cheers!

No DualShock 3 support due to what @wrxtasy pointed out here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2466541

You do however have support for the DualShock 4 as you can connect it to the Mi Box as a Bluetooth HID. Just press and hold the Share and PS buttons until the light bar on the DualShock 4 starts flashing. Connect to the controller as you would any other Bluetooth device and you're good to go.
Anyone using this to stream 4k and full hd through kodi, does this box does fine?
1080p streaming is not an issue with quality 5GHz 802.11 (N) WiFi. Dual Band 802.11 (AC) WiFi even better.

2160p (4K) - Yes - so long as you:

a) have quality, strong 5GHz WiFi or use a USB <-> Ethernet adapter with an ASIX chipset in it.
b) and use a big advancedsettings.xml Kodi video buffer
c) Make sure you have pre-selected 2160p60hz in Android Settings first if you want true 2160p video output. Otherwise 2160p is downscaled to 1080p.

4K HDR10 clips, when played on my non HDR TV - display colors correctly with the AML S905X Mi Box. HDR10 Colors are washed out when played on the regular (non X) S905 boxes due to no HDR10 Firmware, decoder support with that combo.

excuse me, but did any of you guys bought the one from geekbuying? the shipping is way more cheaper than the one from aliexpress for my taste, but so far there are no coments.... (even though the offer had been there for 1 month...)
(2016-11-23, 18:48)mitalm Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 18:47)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 17:36)mitalm Wrote: Does anyone have any idea how to switch this icon off? I've been doing a tonne of searching/googling and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same issue on Android TV.
Do you have ES File Explorer installed on the box? There have been numerous complaints about it rendering an unwanted icon. If so, remove the app and see if that helps.

Yes I do! Will try that when I get back. Thanks for the quick reply! Smile

Hi guys,

I got the same issue. I just went through;
ES File explorer -> Settings -> disable Logger floating widget settings

Solved!
(2016-11-23, 23:29)dyera Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 18:48)mitalm Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 18:47)mjbxx Wrote: Do you have ES File Explorer installed on the box? There have been numerous complaints about it rendering an unwanted icon. If so, remove the app and see if that helps.

I had the same and it was annoying me...

i just Force Stopped ES Explorer and its gone away!

Today 11:38 Post: #658
(2016-11-23 17:48)mitalm Wrote:
(2016-11-23 17:47)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-11-23 16:36)mitalm Wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how to switch this icon off? I've been doing a tonne of searching/googling and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same issue on Android TV.
Do you have ES File Explorer installed on the box? There have been numerous complaints about it rendering an unwanted icon. If so, remove the app and see if that helps.

Hi guys,
To solve this go to:
ES File explorer -> Settings -> disable Logger floating widget settings
(2016-11-25, 16:23)Vlaves Wrote: Does someone know where it would be possible to get that box in germany?
Thanks for any hint Smile

I got it in geekbuying, keep in mind that I was not able to expand the internal storage using either external HDD, memory stick and USB to MicroSD card converter. You will get stuck with 5GB approx.
(2016-11-26, 09:05)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-11-26, 01:57)sandogo1 Wrote: Is there a advantage 1 way or the other with the Mi box compared to the WeTek Hub
Android TV OS Apps, Winner = Mi Box running Android Marshmallow. Bigger Icons, larger text. User friendly.
You need a Marshmallow OS for 4K Netflix. The AMLogic S905X Mi Box SoC is needed for VP9 decoding of 4K YouTube as well.
If you need HDR, only the S905X has support for that.
The Mi Box does have proper Chromecasting abilities due to Android TV OS licensing.

Google Voice Search, Winner = Mi Box due to having an actual Voice Search remote. Voice searching a Kodi media library with SPMC (Kodi) runnning on Android TV is pretty cool !

Remote control of those Apps on a TV Screen, Winner hands down = Mi Box with its superb Bluetooth Voice Remote for use with Android TV Apps, ones properly designed for use on a TV screen.

You have to use the Infra Red extender cable packaged with the Hub otherwise the Hub's inbuilt IR receiver sensitivity sucks and its IR range is poor. The Hub's remote needs to be pointed directly at the box if using only the inbuilt IR receiver too.
WeTek expect you to buy an extra Wireless Air Mouse Remote to be able to use regular Android touchscreen Android Apps properly. A lot of mainstream users find this painful to use day to day. MINIX's Wireless A2 Lite Air Mouse Keyboard remote works well on the Hub.

However you can install an Android TV OS ROM on the Hub to use remote friendly Android TV Apps, some of them are not as reliable compared to running those same Apps on the Mi Box. Kodi on either box does not need use of an Air Mouse.

As a Kodi media player, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to stuff like 10bit 720/1080p HEVC, refresh switching, 24p, HD deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing, PCM, DTS and HD Audio all working properly in Kodi. Some of these Issues can be worked around on the Mi Box, see here.

Versatility and some DIY Hacking, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to dual boot Android/LibreELEC. Access to the full Google Play Apps Store. Built in FTP server and Telnet. Comes with a Serial cable.

Alternate ROM's, Winner = WeTek Hub. You can dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi, using a microSDHC card. A custom unofficial Android TV OS ROM is also available.

Speed of the device, Winner = Mi Box, due to 2GB RAM (vs 1GB on the Hub) when running Android TV. Less low level OS memory management of Minimised Apps needs to be done on the Mi Box. The Mi Box's Bluetooth remote is excellent and super responsive when used day to day.
The Hub counters with speed when using LibreELEC Kodi. But LibreELEC on all AMLogic boxes (especially 1GB ones) still has an annoying memory leak issue, unless rebooted daily.

External Hard drive use, = a Draw, surprisingly my old power hungry 2.5" 500GB USB2 Hard drive runs reliably plugged directly into either Box. For more than one USB connected device an externally powered USB Hub is needed for reliability. More Power efficient modern USB3 HDD's are better again.

Connectivity, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to having AC WiFi, GigaE, Serial, Multiple International power socket adaptors and an IR extender cable as well as a microSDHC slot. The Mi Box cannot be easily Rooted either to connect a PS3 BT controller.

However the Mi Box counters with a 3.5mm Headphone/Optical out port.

Internal Storage expandability, Winner = Mi Box due to Android Marshmallow's Adoptable storage features.

Firmware and stability, Winner = WeTek Hub due to running more mature AMLogic Android Lollipop Firmware. However Android Marshmallow does have some extra features not found with Android Lollipop. (4K Netflix & DD+ Audio, Adoptable External Storage)

As you can see it depends on where your priorities lie.
Do you want to easily use proper Android TV Apps with a bunch of Kodi limitations, that may annoy serious Kodi users. Or do you want a more reliable Kodi box with Android Apps (and control of those Apps) usability limitations ?

EDIT: WeTek Hub - Android Marshmallow Firmware testing is underway, and producing decent results, see here for details.

@wrxtasy
Are you pretyy sure about this? did you already test it by yourself?

Internal Storage expandability, Winner = Mi Box due to Android Marshmallow's Adoptable storage features.

I did not get it work yet! I used external USB HDD (500GB), memory stick 16GB and USB to microSD converter 32GB, none of them worked! I got an unstoppable setting error when Mi Box performs the formatting to setup the external devices as internal storage.

What did you use to test this?

Thanks in advance
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21