• 4(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-05-20, 12:45)Koying Wrote: That's all the question, really. What triggers the "HDR mode on" on your TV?

I think it may vary depend on the HDR 'flavour'. Some HDR will carry over HDMI 1.4b connections (effectively tunnelling within the signal), others require HDMI 2.0b AIUI.
Hugo Barra from Xiaomi confirmed that there is an AmLogic SoC inside (00:37)

(2016-05-22, 11:42)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-20, 12:45)Koying Wrote: That's all the question, really. What triggers the "HDR mode on" on your TV?

I think it may vary depend on the HDR 'flavour'. Some HDR will carry over HDMI 1.4b connections (effectively tunnelling within the signal), others require HDMI 2.0b AIUI.
HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a.
Dolby Vision works with HDMI 1.4 but requires dedicated hardware from Dolby on the TV side. Don't know if it needs decicated Hardware on the player side.
(2016-05-24, 15:35)pyrex27 Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 11:42)noggin Wrote:

HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a.
Dolby Vision works with HDMI 1.4 but requires dedicated hardware from Dolby on the TV side. Don't know if it needs decicated Hardware on the player side.

AIUI pretty much every link in the production and distribution chain for Dolby Vision requires a Dolby process and a Dolby licence...
Not sure if this price is correct or believable ~ $200 as it is for pre-orders which is never a good way to purchase unproved hardware.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-...64382.html

If the price is correct Xiaomi have shot themselves in the foot even before getting started when compared to the nVIDIA Shield.

Someone said that when it first appeared on AliExpress it was $90, which would have been reasonable. But for $199, they must be smoking crack.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
lol. Clicking on the link gives me $499.99
Hardly believable Wink
Ha! That's $200 in an hour.

You better act fast, in another hour it will be up to $699. Rofl
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
sellers on aliexpress do that sometimes, they just put a random price on a presale product and change it when the product becomes available.
I saw this device on banggood for 99$ so I'm guessing that's the actual price
http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-Am...57808.html
The announcement was 3 months ago, did you guys heard any news about the release date ?

I also sent them an Email and after 5 minutes i got an answer (hopefully support will also be this quick), here is the answer ;

We understand your excitement regarding our product and we heartily appreciate it. But we did not launched Mi Box 4K yet in the US or Europe so we are unable to provide you any kind of information regarding the same. We do not have any Official information regarding the launching date of Mi Box 4K. It is launched in China right now Hope you will understand.
banggood have it up on presale now for $99(US). http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-Am...57808.html

although it's pictured with the mi game controller it doesn't look like it comes with it, so that would push up the price closer to the shield tv.
I have a feeling that once this box hits the market, that all of the other "kodi boxes" that are sold for 200+ will quickly have their prices lowered.

After all, who would spend that much money on a janky Android box when an Official Android TV box can be had for less?
(2016-08-29, 03:58)SilverBlade Wrote: I have a feeling that once this box hits the market, that all of the other "kodi boxes" that are sold for 200+ will quickly have their prices lowered.

After all, who would spend that much money on a janky Android box when an Official Android TV box can be had for less?

Other than scammers, who is selling a $200+ Android box*? Nvidia is the only one I can think of, and their box is well worth the price.

EDIT: *assuming a basic feature set. I know some have things like built-in 3.5 hard drives and/or various other special features, and those might be justified.
(2016-08-29, 03:58)SilverBlade Wrote: I have a feeling that once this box hits the market, that all of the other "kodi boxes" that are sold for 200+ will quickly have their prices lowered.

Where did I heard that again... Oh yeah, Razer Forge Smile

I just want to say to seeing is believing, and that discussions based on specs and annoucement is only what marketeers want us to do...
mi box is not worth that much money. but anyway. it works perfect.

From Memobox Prince
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21