• 27(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Sorry, I should have been clearer.
I confirm some HEVC10 work and some doesn't, on latest SPMC.

The sample from wesk05 work, while a movie of mine totally doesn't, with the green artifacts mentioned...
I really like this little box, and especially Android TV. However I'm not sure how much longer I can go without MPEG2 deinterlacing. Starting to think I should buy a Wetek Play 2 to hold me over until Xiaomi straightens out the firmware on this thing.
(2016-10-30, 16:02)awp0 Wrote: I really like this little box, and especially Android TV. However I'm not sure how much longer I can go without MPEG2 deinterlacing. Starting to think I should buy a Wetek Play 2 to hold me over until Xiaomi straightens out the firmware on this thing.

Hi! I have noticed when you adjust the audio settings in preferrably SPMC MPEG2 works fine. I have an Onkyo receiver and the best audio settings for me is IEC passthrough and this little box has played everything i throw at it. No HD Audio and I have yet to try 4K. However will play True HD and Dts HDMA audio but only passing through DTS core audio. Make sure HDMI adaptation is on under the mi box settings.
(2016-10-30, 17:34)Illest Wrote:
(2016-10-30, 16:02)awp0 Wrote: I really like this little box, and especially Android TV. However I'm not sure how much longer I can go without MPEG2 deinterlacing. Starting to think I should buy a Wetek Play 2 to hold me over until Xiaomi straightens out the firmware on this thing.

Hi! I have noticed when you adjust the audio settings in preferrably SPMC MPEG2 works fine. I have an Onkyo receiver and the best audio settings for me is IEC passthrough and this little box has played everything i throw at it. No HD Audio and I have yet to try 4K. However will play True HD and Dts HDMA audio but only passing through DTS core audio. Make sure HDMI adaptation is on under the mi box settings.

Thanks! I've tried this (IEC Passthrough), unfortunately with no improvement. To clarify, it "plays" MPEG2 content without a problem. However, text and motion is jagged. You can see it most clearly on diagonal and curved lines, like the on-screen text in the NFL program that I'm watching now. It may be subtle enough for some people not to be bothered, but the image quality is noticeably worse than my Windows Kodi box.
The firmware on the xiaomi box is totally broken. Wait till there's an update
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-10-30, 19:00)awp0 Wrote:
(2016-10-30, 17:34)Illest Wrote:

Thanks! I've tried this (IEC Passthrough), unfortunately with no improvement. To clarify, it "plays" MPEG2 content without a problem. However, text and motion is jagged. You can see it most clearly on diagonal and curved lines, like the on-screen text in the NFL program that I'm watching now. It may be subtle enough for some people not to be bothered, but the image quality is noticeably worse than my Windows Kodi box.
Both have to be set to IEC if not using a reciever than set both as PCM
I have done some more testing with HEVC main10 video playback and my findings are the same as those of @wrxtasy. 1080p main10 HEVC videos do not play properly in Kodi 17 beta or SPMC. What is interesting is, the same videos play fine with the "Movie Player" that is available on most Amlogic SoC boxes. They also play fine on MX Player. I don't know what the deal is with Kodi/SPMC.

Movie Player APK

Sample 1080p HEVC main10 clip
I'd bet Movie Player and and MX Player do not use MediaCodec Wink
I bet they those Apps don't use Mediacodec as well.

I'm wondering why the Video Acceleration option - amcodec - does not even show up when using SPMC 16.4.2 or other Kodi Jarvis forks on this Mi Box running Marshmallow Firmware ?

Amcodec is definitely still there with WMP (Jarvis) or SPMC16.4.2 when used with the Hub's test AML Android Marshmallow Firmware. And naturally you still have deinterlacing working properly there as well.

Yes as Martijn said Firmware update needed for proper Kodi Jarvis use.

(2016-10-30, 20:59)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm wondering why the Video Acceleration option - amcodec - does not even show up when using SPMC 16.4.2 or other Kodi Jarvis forks on this Mi Box running Marshmallow Firmware ?

See post #346 Wink
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2442362
(2016-10-30, 20:36)Koying Wrote: I'd bet Movie Player and and MX Player do not use MediaCodec Wink

(2016-10-30, 20:59)wrxtasy Wrote: I bet they those Apps don't use Mediacodec as well.

Looks like they use ?amcodec (amplayer).

Logcats:
MX Player
Movie Player
Xiaomi make good hardware but unfortunately their software support is very poor when it comes to firmware upgrades, bug fixes and timely releases. Just take a look at their track record on Android updates for their mobile phone ranges. Check out their firmware for their other devices too like the mi band 2 fitness tracker the last firmware broke the device completely heart rate sensors not working, calorie count completely wrong.. Have they bothered to roll back the firmware or release a fix 3 - 4 weeks later....nope.

So I wouldn't get too excited about their TV box getting any reliable decent firmware updates either.. For general hardware xiaomi are great products though, like the piston headphones and USB powerbanks etc..
I was wandering I have chromecast 2 I know its limitations, I use Kodi to watch live tv streams and programs from the video adons like HGTV and the like, would Mi box be sufficient to do that? will I have a more flexible and better experience than with chromecast?
Mi Box would be more flexible, especially when used with a remote control in Hand.

So long as this Legit - Kodi Krypton Addon is streaming video in the H264 or regular 8bit HEVC (H265) codec then you should be fine.
If its 10bit HEVC then you will get garbled green screen video playback in Kodi when using this Addon for streaming.

(2016-10-31, 17:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Mi Box would be more flexible, especially when used with a remote control in Hand.

So long as this Legit - Kodi Krypton Addon is streaming video in the H264 or regular 8bit HEVC (H265) codec then you should be fine.
If its 10bit HEVC then you will get garbled green screen video playback in Kodi when using this Addon for streaming.

Thanks for the prompt answer, btw my tv is a regular 1080p not looking to play 4k material in the near future. So I have no problem if mi box at the moment is not playing 10bit HEVC. Am more interested in the possibility of mi box playing more codex than chromecast does.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21