• 28(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
I bought my Mi Box a week ago and was initially very happy with it. Main uses are Netflix, Emby and MythTV via Kodi.
Initial setup was easy and performance seemed fine for my needs (viewing from the spa pool).

Last night using Kodi as my MythTV frontend was impossible and faultfinding was difficult because Kodi kept locking up.
NetFlix and Emby apps still work OK.

I tried a factory reset of the Mi Box but no matter what I tried the PVR service was still greyed out.
I then looked at my Nexus Player (also uses Android TV) and realised that it has the same problem so in disgust I went to bed and left the Mi Box on overnight.

This morning I could watch MythTV recordings but Kodi "hung" on updating the guide.
I also have a FireTV and 2 x LibreELEC boxes on the same network with no problems.

Ideas welcome.
Mi box looks good
(2016-11-02, 00:10)robfish Wrote: I bought my Mi Box a week ago and was initially very happy with it. Main uses are Netflix, Emby and MythTV via Kodi.
Initial setup was easy and performance seemed fine for my needs (viewing from the spa pool).

Last night using Kodi as my MythTV frontend was impossible and faultfinding was difficult because Kodi kept locking up.
NetFlix and Emby apps still work OK.

I tried a factory reset of the Mi Box but no matter what I tried the PVR service was still greyed out.
I then looked at my Nexus Player (also uses Android TV) and realised that it has the same problem so in disgust I went to bed and left the Mi Box on overnight.

This morning I could watch MythTV recordings but Kodi "hung" on updating the guide.
I also have a FireTV and 2 x LibreELEC boxes on the same network with no problems.

Ideas welcome.
Not an expert but it sound this has to do more with the addon and kodi than the box itself have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the addon?
A workaround to use Software decoding and Software deinterlacing of up to 720x576i / 25fps (non HD) OTA TV Streaming on the Mi Box from an external TvHeadend, HDHomerun or similar Tuner / server.
(USA - 29.97fps mpeg2 OTA TV would likely work as well with the default 1080p60hz resolution)

I simply:
  • manually select in Android settings – a 1080p50hz Resolution for 25fps AUS TV streams.
  • use the Android Kodi App – SPMC 16.4.2 (Kodi Jarvis optimised for ATV)
  • and select YADIFx2 in the Kodi On Screen Display (OSD) – Video settings selector and save as default.
This results in excellent Full motion software deinterlacing. Producing high quality, smooth video playback of all my 720x576i mpeg2 TV channels. 1080i H264 Software deinterlacing will not work properly. Not enough CPU ponies.

1440x1080i mpeg2 TV is also able the be Software decoded and Software deinterlaced using the lower quality Blend, or FFmpeg deinterlacers.

Its still a PITA having to manually reselect 1080p60hz in Android settings for smooth 23.976fps Movie and Netflix video playback. But could be OK for casual use.

EDIT: Actually for 25fps SD TV content using the above combo, its perfectly fine to just leave the Android Resolution in 1080p60hz. Because Kodi combined with AMLogic's HDMI (video output) Adaptation does such a good job, video sync is fine for everyday mpeg2 TV viewing.

I don't impress that easily these days...

But after having played around with this Mi Box for a couple of week now, AMLogic with their Android Marshmallow 6.0 Firmware appear have sprinkled magic dust on to their HDMI video drivers.

Even without dynamic refresh switching working. Playing 23.976fps video content at a fixed 1080p60hz resolution with the AML Android Setting of:
Playback > HDMI Self Adaptation > selected ON.
Produces superbly smooth video playback in any Android App. Netflix, SPMC and more that is playing back 23.976fps video content Smile
I have minimal motion smoothing selected on my TV as well.

In fact I would go so far as to say its the smoothest 23.976fps 1080p Netflix video playback I've seen on any platform. It really is that impressive, considering my TV stays at 1080p60hz and it is not using its 24p Movie or Cinema Mode.

The exact same smooth 23.976fps / 1080p60hz - video playback results are seen in Netflix, SPMC, etc using test AMLogic Android Marshmallow Firmware on WeTek S905 devices as well. Smile

Anyone got any ideas where this can be bought in the UK?

can get it from Gearbest but it says "Supports Chinese Language Only" How easy will it be to get it working in english?
Be Very Careful, there are two versions of this device that look exactly the same. The old non Android TV one and the new US released one.

The US Version we are talking about here has Android Marshmallow 6.0 running the Android TV launcher. It has 2GB of RAM and can do HDR in 4K.
The previous version of the Mi Box (Chinese Mi Box 3) has none of those tech specs.

(2016-11-05, 09:53)dyera Wrote: Anyone got any ideas where this can be bought in the UK?

can get it from Gearbest but it says "Supports Chinese Language Only" How easy will it be to get it working in english?

they are on reddit mi box forum .
they even provided a free EU shipping somewhere there..
https://www.thesolutionshop.co.uk/product/mi-box/

Edit:I'm trying to contact them with no response (I'm also interested in buying the mi box from Europe)
(2016-11-05, 07:46)wrxtasy Wrote: A workaround to use Software decoding and Software deinterlacing of up to 720x576i / 25fps (non HD) OTA TV Streaming on the Mi Box....
(from an external TvHeadend, HDHomerun or similar Tuner / server)

I simply:
  • manually select in Android settings – a 1080p50hz Resolution for 25fps AUS TV streams.
  • and select YADIFx2 in the Kodi On Screen Display (OSD) – Video settings selector and save as default.
This results in excellent Full motion software deinterlacing. Producing high quality, smooth video playback of all my 720x576i mpeg2 TV channels. 1080i H264 Software deinterlacing will not work properly. Not enough CPU ponies.

1440x1080i mpeg2 TV is also able the be Software decoded and Software deinterlaced using the lower quality bob-inverted, blend, or ffmpeg deinterlacers.

Its still a PITA having to manually reselect 1080p60hz in Android settings for smooth 23.976fps Movie and Netflix video playback. But could be OK for casual use.

But after having played around with this Mi Box for a couple of week now, AMLogic with their Android Marshmallow 6.0 Firmware appear have sprinkled magic dust on to their HDMI video drivers.

Even without dynamic refresh switching working. Playing 23.976fps video content at a fixed 1080p60hz resolution with the AML Android Setting of:
Produces superbly smooth video playback in any Android App. Netflix, SPMC and more that is playing back 23.976fps video content Smile

In fact I would go so far as to say its the smoothest 23.976fps 1080p Netflix video playback I've seen on any platform. It really is that impressive, considering my TV stays at 1080p60hz and it is not using its 24p Movie or Cinema Mode.

The exact same smooth 23.976fps / 1080p60hz - video playback results are seen in Netflix, SPMC, etc using test AMLogic Android Marshmallow Firmware on WeTek S905 devices as well. Smile
Wow, what an excellent recommendation. I have been reading this thread for awhile now and general opinion seemed iffy me. But I think this post has pushed me over the edge. Looks like an early Christmas! Thanxx for your recommendation. Can't wait to try it.
I bought it on eBay for 79USD.. Shipped from US for 25USD in one week.. Search for MDZ-16-AB model..
(2016-11-05, 07:46)wrxtasy Wrote: A workaround to use Software decoding and Software deinterlacing of up to 720x576i / 25fps (non HD) OTA TV Streaming on the Mi Box from an external TvHeadend, HDHomerun or similar Tuner / server.
(USA - 29.97fps mpeg2 OTA TV would likely work as well with the default 1080p60hz resolution)

I simply:

1440x1080i mpeg2 TV is also able the be Software decoded and Software deinterlaced using the lower quality Blend, or FFmpeg deinterlacers.

EDIT: Actually for 25fps SD TV content using the above combo, its perfectly fine to just leave the Android Resolution in 1080p60hz. Because Kodi combined with AMLogic's HDMI (video output) Adaptation does such a good job, video sync is fine for everyday mpeg2 TV viewing.

I got excited after reading this, but I don't see YADIFx2 as an option. Should it be a deinterlacing method in Live TV? I'm running SPMC 16.4.2, in the USA, with the WMC PVR add-in (HDHomerun tuner).

Thanks!
Its software deinterlacing so you will need to disable hardware acceleration, keep in mind the CPU of the Mi Box isn't powerful enough to do HD or above video.
When playing a live TV stream just select the movie reel icon on the OSD inside there is the option for deinterlacing method.
(2016-11-07, 02:21)jakejm79 Wrote: Its software deinterlacing so you will need to disable hardware acceleration, keep in mind the CPU of the Mi Box isn't powerful enough to do HD or above video.
When playing a live TV stream just select the movie reel icon on the OSD inside there is the option for deinterlacing method.

Ahhhh, thank you. Makes complete sense. And, unfortunately, after trying it out I can confirm high definition MPEG2 can't be software deinterlaced on this device. Sad

Still hoping for a firmware fix!
(2016-11-07, 02:21)jakejm79 Wrote: Its software deinterlacing so you will need to disable hardware acceleration, keep in mind the CPU of the Mi Box isn't powerful enough to do HD or above video.
With SPMC, Interlaced mpeg2 TV or DVD content will automatically default to Software decoding and Software deinterlacing, without even needing to play with the video acceleration options.

1080i mpeg2 TV content has to have Blend or ffmpeg selected only as the deinterlacing method from the OSD video menu. Works for me for 1080i 25fps mpeg2. U.S. 29.97fps mpeg2 TV may be different.

4 OSD Settings:
http://kodi.wiki/view/video_playback#OSD...e_settings

I have noticed that latest SPMC from Google Play (16.4 based, I believe) will not play H.265 content correctly on the mibox; I get green screen. However, the latest Kodi from Google Play (16.1 based) plays it fine.
Anyone know the reason for that?
(2016-11-07, 07:01)banshee2008 Wrote: I have noticed that latest SPMC from Google Play (16.4 based, I believe) will not play H.265 content correctly on the mibox; I get green screen. However, the latest Kodi from Google Play (16.1 based) plays it fine.
Anyone know the reason for that?
Strange... Could you try on spmc with the "plain" mediacodec disabled, leaving "surface" on?
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21