• 101(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2017-05-14, 15:01)insync44 Wrote: No, I use X-Plore.I read about ES File Explorer and its bad rep. The funny thing is my 64GB, additional storage, USB drive formatted never has a problem. Maybe I should restore to factory specs and start again but I have all configured to my like that I hate starting again.

Then do you have "Allow USB access" set in X-Plore? That will cause issues with unmounting also.

(2017-05-16, 05:37)wrxtasy Wrote: TIP: Use the X-Plore File manager to backup (copy - long press OK button) your existing Kodi v18 folder first, found at:

Alt-Tip: You can also use Kodi's built-in file manager (best if backing up to a NAS). You just need to add /storage/emulated/0 as a source.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-05-18, 23:00)Wheresthebeef Wrote: wrxtasy MOD EDIT:

For those looking to purchase from outside the USA then this is the International version, same spec as the USA Mi Box (Model MDZ-16-AB) we talk about in this thread:

Mi Box - International version - Ships from Spain or China

£63 including DHL express delivery from Xiaomi's Official Online Webstore Store

if you are in the UK, then the Solutions Shop also sells the same Mi Box:

Solutions Shop

Any idea what cost will be added due to customs if shipping to Europe (Belgium)?
Is there a difference when shipping with DHL or standard delivery (except the time)?
You could try here:

€58.79 - 65.85 Mi Box Model MDZ-16-AB - Lightinthebox.com

No idea where it's shipping from.

It will cost nothing in additional taxes or Custom fees if staying within EU, ie shipped from UK (for now Wink ) or Spain.

It will cost a lot if shipped from China and intercepted at Custom (which seems much more the norm now than it used to be).
See, e.g., BPost info: https://www.bpost.be/site/fr/residential...ionaux.pdf
The UK shop (Solutions Shop) is out of stock. The ones on AliExpress that I found with shipping from Spain are also out of stock, or don't deliver to Belgium.
Well sadly i sold my box couldnt put up with stutter,funny thing it wouldnt be on all files......purchased a second hand Popcorn A300 will prob wait a till Aug/Sep when the TV gets an upgrade to 4k before i try another android player
Can I use a WD drive formatted for Mac OS with the Mi Box, or does it have to be ExFat or NTFS formatted?

Can't seem to get the Mi Box to see the powered USB external drive at all.
Found it on the MI Box FAQ.

Quote:FAT32、NTFS and exFAT.
Quote:Does anyone know what the "hdmi self-adaptation" option in the Mi Box does?

I'm pretty confused with all these similar-sounding options actually.

HDMI self-adaptation
Auto-select best HDMI mode
Deep-color mode
HDR mode

HDMI Self Adaptation - is not working on the Mi Box. Usually this will allow Kodi to dynamically refresh switch the TV itself to a display frequency (Hz) to match the Frames Per Second (fps) of the source video file being played for ultra smooth video playback.

For example 23.976fps movies/TV when played in Kodi will dynamically switch (at movie start) a TV to its 24p Cinema or Movie Mode for beautifully smooth video playback.

The only Android Marshmallow AMLogic boxes I have seen this function working on are the MINIX U9 and the WeTek Hub and Play2.

This dynamic auto switching for proper video sync comes in real handy for boxes that also are used as Kodi PVR's. Because in certain parts of the world TV is 25fps which is then full motion deinterlaced (hopefully) and output at 50fps.

Auto-select best HDMI mode - will on Android device bootup switch the video output Resolution and Hz to the highest available for the particular HDMI connected display.

Deep-Color mode - Deep Color supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit color bit depths, up from 8-bit, which is the current standard for consumer video... ...A higher color bit depth enables finer gradations between different shades of the same color, for smoother gradients and reduced color banding.

You of course have to be playing 10bit source video content AND have a 10bit capable HDMI input - connected display device.

A more detailed bit depth discussion here.

If Deep-Color mode is OFF - 10bit (color depth) video content is reduced down to 8bit with AMLogic S905x and S912 devices. This is what happens when you play 10bit video content with AMLogic S905(x) LibreELEC Kodi that has no Deep Color mode switching option.

HDR mode - either manually or Auto switch a HDR capable TV to its HDR mode when playing video containing HDR Metadata. Self explanatory. Mediacodec (Surface) hardware video acceleration has to be used in Kodi for HDR10.

I´ve just recently bought a 4k TV (Samsung 60KS7000) and I´m trying to get the best performance from my mibox. The thing is that Kodi is not working at 4k resolution, it does not allow me to select it in the configuration, so when playing 4k movies it seems that it is displaying a 4k movie in 1080p resolution. Do you know how to fix that, how to set 4k resolution on kodi interface?

Thanks
You cannot do it in Android Kodi because there is both no Auto Resolution switching on 99% of Android boxes and No Kodi dynamic refresh switching with the Mi Box.

You have to manually go into Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution and manually select a 4k2K resolution yourself, to output 4K video at a 4K resolution. Even then you will very likely need a ASIX USB > Ethernet adapter unless you have a top spec AC WiFi home router.

Otherwise plug in a USB Hard drive / Stick.

I'm not looking for autoswitch, I set the mibox to 4k 24hz everytime I turn it on (sometimes it remembers the resolution conf) and then I go to kodi, but the interface it is still in 1080p. Just wanted to know how to watch native 4k in kodi with mibox

Enviado desde mi Mi-4c mediante Tapatalk
Kodi's Graphic User interface (and the Android TV interface too I believe) is 1080p only and that is exactly what it is telling you.
It will be upscaled to 4K by the Mi Box itself when you select a 4K2K Resolution in Android settings.

4K video will be output at 4K if you Manually select a 4K2K Resolution in Android settings first. Everything else below that will be upscaled by the Mi Box Hardware. You may notice a "Soft" picture output when this happens, same as seen on other Android boxes.

If you want all this Auto Resolution Switching and Refresh switching to work seamlessly you need to stop using Android all together. You will get superior (non HDR) 720/1080/2160p(4K) picture outputs shown on a 4K TV by moving away from Android as well.

There is a new kodi version 17.2Big Grin
(2017-05-21, 04:18)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want all this Auto Resolution Switching and Refresh switching to work seamlessly you need to stop using Android all together. You will get superior (non HDR) 720/1080/2160p(4K) picture outputs shown on a 4K TV by moving away from Android as well.

What box would you recommend?
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21