• 110(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Nougat Beta:
Its a tiny bit quicker.
What CEC issues I had seemed fixed.

The App switching / Task Killer - Android Nougat functionality is handy just by Double pressing the small middle "o" remote button.
Picture in Picture works with Android Live Channels and TvHeadend beta App, but it frankly its a bit of a novelty and does not get much use.

Apart from that no issues to complain about over what MM Firmware already had.

(2017-07-11, 14:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Nougat Beta:
Its a tiny bit quicker.

The App switching / Task Killer - Android Nougat functionality is handy just by Double pressing the small middle "o" remote button.
Picture in Picture works with Android Live Channels and TvHeadend beta App, but it frankly its a bit of a novelty and does not get much use.

Thanks a lot! Smile Do you think there will ever be a stable Nougat firmware for this box?
From AMLogic S905x/S912 - 10bit / HDR / Dithering Testing over on the LibreELEC - AMLogic forums I would say Xiaomi are being ultra cautious about any public AML Nougat Firmware they release - especially when it has anything to do with AMLogic's implementation of 4K HDR.

Let just say they are likely in for all sorts of "fun and games" whilst bug busting if they want to properly support HDR Android Apps.

I believe there has been another two Mi Box, Nougat Beta releases come out since that first one leaked.
So its likely something will come out eventually.

If you think about it how many people are going to be buying a $69 box thinking they are going to get a bullet proof 4K HDR streamer for their expensive, shiny new 4K HDR Smart TV - which in all likelihood has 4K HDR Android streaming Apps on it anyway.

(2017-07-11, 21:54)wrxtasy Wrote: From AMLogic S905x/S912 - 10bit / HDR / Dithering Testing over on the LibreELEC - AMLogic forums I would say Xiaomi are being ultra cautious about any public AML Nougat Firmware they release - especially when it has anything to do with AMLogic's implementation of 4K HDR.

Let just say they are likely in for all sorts of "fun and games" whilst bug busting if they want to properly support HDR Android Apps.

I believe there has been another two Mi Box, Nougat Beta releases come out since that first one leaked.
So its likely something will come out eventually.

If you think about it how many people are going to be buying a $69 box thinking they are going to get a bullet proof 4K HDR streamer for their expensive, shiny new 4K HDR Smart TV - which in all likelihood has 4K HDR Android streaming Apps on it anyway.

Thanks again for your answer! Ok, so I try not to flash the beta and try to be patient.
(2017-07-11, 14:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Nougat Beta:
Its a tiny bit quicker.

When you say quicker is it any smoother? I seem to notice stuttering/hitching on any video (audio is fine) being played on the mibox (Kodi, spmc, Plex, and other apps). I have the resolution set to 1080 and changing the refresh doesn't do anything. I can play the same video files on my TVs Plex app just fine and these aren't any intensive 4k hevc files either. I figured the box should be powerful enough to at least play basic 720/1080 material..
(2017-07-13, 08:10)hartman13 Wrote: I seem to notice stuttering/hitching on any video (audio is fine) being played on the mibox .
You need a Box that can do both Kodi Dynamic Refresh switching and can output 23.976, 29.97, 59.94fps video if you want ultra smooth video playback.
The only Android Kodi devices I know of - out of the box that have that working are:

nVIDIA Shield
WeTek Hub & Play2
MINIX U9-H

Hi guys,any solution with 1080p HEVC videos?

Sent from my iPhone
First question have you updated Firmware ?

What is wrong with 1080p HEVC specifically, the Mi Box chews thru that combo easily.

If you have issues examine files with the PC program Mediainfo.
If they happen to be 10bit H264 aka Hi10p / Anime, that is an unsupported compression format on all Kodi platforms.

(2017-07-16, 14:21)wrxtasy Wrote: First question have you.......................format on all Kodi platforms.

Thanx @wrxtasy I will get back soon with more details even though I think I have latest firmware!!

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-07-16, 14:21)wrxtasy Wrote: If they happen to be 10bit H264 aka Hi10p / Anime, that is an unsupported compression format on all Kodi platforms.

Hmm - it's not exactly unsupported, it's just that hardware accelerated support is non-existent. Hi10p H264 stuff will play fine if you have a decent enough CPU. It's similar to 4:2:2 content - which is also unlikely to be hardware accelerated. It IS supported - as ffmpeg will decode it. (Though you may not get 10bit or 4:2:2 passed through...)
Has anyone tried a PS3 PlayTV USB Tuner with the Nougat beta firmware?
It does not work - the PlayTV Tuner power light does not even light up.
TV Picture De-interlacing quality on the Mi Box is poor anyway.

If you want an Android TV platform with a DVB-T/T2 single tuner, get a WeTek Play2 and use Ricardo's ROM.
Works well with SPMC (Jarvis) and also Android TV Live Channels and TvH Beta Apps.

Or the PS3 PlayTV USB Tuner with a AMLogic S8xx/S9xx box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and a TvHeadend server.

I'm sure I'm just missing something fundamental here ....
Having problem playing media - appears to be 'playing' however no video and no audio.

Kodi 17.3 installed
If I select a video (regardless of source - even test file from USB stick e.g. BBB) then it 'seems' to be running ........... however ....
the directory view from where it was selected is still in the foreground (ie the video remains in background/minimized);
if I then bring it to the front, you can see the progress bar advancing (like it does when playing) - however there is no video (black screen except for Kodi GUI stuff) and no audio.
As I say, I'm sure this is something fundamental in the settings but unusual that would have NEITHER video or Audio!

Honestly not impressed with this box at all so far - the enforced limitations it has re apps plus the launcher you can't even switch without a hardware connection - these things are all just a pain compared to even cheaper S905X box I have.
Bought it for the convenience of Walmart & regretting it but at least like to see this through functionally.

p.s. the Kodi GUI video and GUI sounds are fine - just video/audio content from media files not showing
That is not normal behavior at all. Sounds like a settings issue.

Have you done the usual things like updating Firmware ? (Android Settings > About)
Then clearing Kodi Cache in Android Settings ?

Tip. Use the Mi Box for Android TV and its easy to use Android TV Apps - not Kodi.

Take that S905X box you have a run LibreELEC Krypton on it from a microSDHC card, and still retain Android on internal eMMC storage.

You will have the best of both worlds then with very few limitations.

Thanks wrxtasy - per the tips, that is exactly how I use my S905X - and why I am probably spoiled.

There is no update available for firmware per the 'check for update'
I cleared the kodi cache - then actually cleared the data also!
So kodi then came up 'virgin' - selected USB file to play and same result - no video or audio.
Then uninstalled Kodi and re-installed - still same

Did full factory reset
reinstalled Kodi - now working normally
So it somehow got its knickers in a twist although who knows what!

I may still end up returning it - just prefer the way I use my S905X box as you suggest, which gives best of both worlds - I use browser apps for an on-line sports subscription I have and getting even the log-in screen to appear on the Mi (and I tried about 4 different browsers!!!) was also a pain.
So may just get another of those as it was doing all I needed.
The good thing is it's not like these cost a lot of money so (almost!) fun to try different stuff and see how it goes.
  • 110(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21