• 124(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2017-10-10, 04:41)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-10-09, 18:58)loopium Wrote: I have an error : "signature verification failed"... Has anyone encountered this ? I'm stuck on 924 for the moment.
Make sure the .zip update file has not been double .zipped meaning a .zip within a .zip aka "The Inception Problem" Wink

.zip Firmware update files should NOT be unpacked either before attempting to Flash then in Android Recovery.

Thanks for the tip ! It was such a noobie one ahah. I guess it was the same problem for the 1035 release but anyway I wan't to have YT working so i'm not going to install it.

A minor bug report : has anyone noticed the mouse pointer showing sometimes (usually when I have to click quickly many times on the remote) ? I connected a mouse to be able to navigate into the recovery mode, maybe it's related.
Do you think install Kodi on a fast USB stick will help much? Kodi on my Mi Box seems sluggish after syncing with my Emby server.
(2017-10-09, 15:54)sylvio2000 Wrote: Hi.
I ordered a mibox and have a question.

What exactly do the volume buttons on the remote control? Is it only the internal volume of the device or can I adjust the volume of the tv? Is it even possible to program these buttons by using ir?

I second this question! Smile
(2017-10-12, 15:49)blindhai Wrote:
(2017-10-09, 15:54)sylvio2000 Wrote: Hi.
I ordered a mibox and have a question.

What exactly do the volume buttons on the remote control? Is it only the internal volume of the device or can I adjust the volume of the tv? Is it even possible to program these buttons by using ir?

I second this question! Smile

It's the internal volume. The remote has no IR.
Hello

Like many, I'm getting crazy with the very limited number of commands to control the Mi Box. It is particularly painful for Kodi. Let me try to summarize.

The original Mi Box Bluetooth (BT) remote works well, but it only has a few commands: no Play/Pause/Stop (would you buy a CD/DVD/BD player without these commands ?...) ! No numeric pad either. The Mi Box has an undocumented built-in infrared (IR) receiver, and it can be controlled by any Harmony (thanks Logitech!). However the commands are basically the same as with the BT remote.

I have a cheap and old Harmony IR remote, and I have used the Harmony software and Kodi key mapping to redefine the '+', '-', 'pgup', 'pgdn' IR commands in such a way that:
- the Play/Pause button on Harmony is Kodi Play/Pause toggle action (2 buttons / 1 toggle command)
- the Stop button on Harmony is Kodi Stop action (1 button / 1 command)
- the Channel+/Channel- button on Harmony is Kodi Next/Previous action (2 buttons / 2 commands)

This is a minimal solution, but still unsatisfying as many buttons remain useless on the Harmony.

From what I read on various forums, there are three workarounds:

1) Harmony hub. This guy can control the Mi Box via BT as if it were a keyboard. Very flexible but expensive. And the hub itself can only be controlled by a high end Harmony remote, or by a smartphone.

2) PC IR USB receiver. That one can control the Mi Box via USB, as if it were a keyboard. Quite flexible and cheap, and can be controlled by a low end Harmony remote. However these dongles are often poor quality (bulky, laggy, weak sensitivity).
! warning ! The true `RC6' IR dongles, designed for Microsoft Multimedia Center, do not work on the Mi Box, because they don't simulate a keyboard. I have tested one and it confirms what I read elsewhere.

3) Flirc IR USB receiver. This could be the best solution, because the quality seems good, price moderate, and both the output (commands to the Mi Box) and input (commands from a remote) can be configured and customized.

What do you think ? Did I get something wrong, or did I miss some other workaround ?

Thanks a lot.
(2017-10-13, 10:25)Geeeronimo Wrote: Hello

Like many, I'm getting crazy with the very limited number of commands to control the Mi Box. It is particularly painful for Kodi. Let me try to summarize.

The original Mi Box Bluetooth (BT) remote works well, but it only has a few commands: no Play/Pause/Stop

There is a bunch of hidden remote functionality with Android TV and various Apps.

Short Button Press Functionality and Long Button press Functionality within Apps like SPMC and Kodi & others.

In SPMC Short press Back = stop
In Kodi Long press Back = stop (no idea why this is not mapped the same as SPMC, its a right royal PITA for all Android Kodi users)
In Kodi Long press OK = pause

You have to experiment.

Then we have the Kodi Keymap Editor addon (found in Addons > Programs)

Some suggestions for Keymap Editor are:

Fullscreen Video > Playback > Stop > press Xiaomi remote Back button
Fullscreen Live TV > Playback > Stop > press Xiaomi remote Back button
Global > Navigation > Context Menu > press Xiaomi remote Context (hamburger) button

On my side (Kodi Estuary) the 'long press OK' brings the Context menu, not Pause. But maybe you are talking about the Xiaomi BT remote, not the IR Harmony.

And yes I am experimenting a lot with Kodi keymapping. But afaik we are limited to the number of commands that the remote can send.

With the IR (I need the Harmony because of the activity feature) there are only a few commands that potentially can be redefined for Kodi (other commands would interfer with ATV system)

1) '+' and '-'
2) Menu
3) PgUp and PgDn

That's only 5, and no number/letter.

Can any key/button be defined in two versions, short and long press ? And if yes, can one do it with the add-on or is it needed to edit the keymap file by hand ?

I'm currently looking for a way to show the OSD menu whatever the current page, I believe it's more a skin question so I asked in the skin category, but if somebody here has an idea feel free Smile
(2017-10-13, 10:25)Geeeronimo Wrote:  three workarounds:

1) Harmony hub. This guy can control the Mi Box via BT as if it were a keyboard. Very flexible but expensive. And the hub itself can only be controlled by a high end Harmony remote, or by a smartphone.

Thanks a lot.

Its worth keeping an eye on the harmony smart control bundle as this igets discounted 
on occasions (black friday is coming) .Im in the uk where its still £100 but the US has it around $80. not 'cheap' but not the super highend either
(2017-08-26, 10:48)wrxtasy Wrote: Dual Boot LibreELEC / Android or AndroidTV - $35 S905X MECOOL M8S Pro Plus (2GB/16GB)

Can also do DD+  5.1 Audio 1080p Netflix and 4K Youtube with a user flashed unofficial ATV ROM. Smile

G'day mate, would I be correct in assuming that such "unofficial" ATV ROMs don't include Chromecast functionality? What alternative ATV ROMs are there?
It's been interesting reading this thread, which I found from a link on Whirlpool. If there's one thing it's convinced me of, it's that there'll never be an official Nougat release for this box.
(2017-10-16, 13:59)0x40265723 Wrote: It's been interesting reading this thread, which I found from a link on Whirlpool. If there's one thing it's convinced me of, it's that there'll never be an official Nougat release for this box.

Ive been rooting for the Mi Box since it came out, but after Hugo left the company...I've pretty much come to terms with the idea that we will never see any future updates on this thing. I could be wrong...but it doesnt matter now. I just sold both of my Mi Boxes and am now looking for a box to replace it.

In the meantime, I've ordered a Roku Stick + (the new one) to hold me over with Netflix and Youtube. I may look into one of these Android box things that can run Librelec to replace the Mi Box. I don't need Android TV.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
Hello

I don't understand the settings in the menu Digital sounds: PCM vs. HDMI vs. SPDIF in Android TV on the Mi Box, in parallel to Kodi audio settings. Let me explain what I tested:

- I have the Mi Box connected via HDMI to the TV device (this old TV does not seem to accept anything else than stereo for this input), and via optical SPDIF to a Marantz hi-fi amplifier (that also only accepts stereo)

- I use a  Kodi sample video file that is officially encoded in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

I set Kodi channels to 5.1, and then:

1) I set audio passthrough ON, and disable all "[whatever] capable receiver" options. I get (as expected) normal sound on the TV and on the amplifier. The only concrete effect of the Digital sounds setting is that if set to SPDIF, there is no output to the HDMI TV. However whatever the setting there is output to the SPDIF amplifier.

2) I set audio passthrough ON, and enable "digital dolby plus capable receiver". I get (as expected, because my devices are stereo only) no sound on the TV nor the amplifier. The Digital sounds setting has no effect.

3) I set audio passthrough OFF. I get normal sound on the TV and on the amplifier. Hence in this case the audio output is stereo only. The only concrete effect of the Digital sounds setting is that if set to SPDIF, there is no output to the HDMI TV.

Questions:
* why with passthrough OFF Kodi doesn't output DD+, even if the channels are set to 5.1 ?
* what is the actual use of the Digital sounds setting ? It does not seem to select one of the physical outputs (because there is always sound on the SPDIF channel), and it does not seem to have an effect on audio decoding.

Thanks for any clarification!
In Kodi Audio settings reset all back to default (down the bottom)

Then only select the Audio passthrough options your Audio receiver supports.

DO NOT mess with the Number of Audio Channels - when using digital Audio passthrough that refers to the number of Audio Data transport channels NOT the number of physical speakers you have.

Kodi even mentions this in the options text at the bottom of the Audio settings screen.

If you want 5.1 passthrough Audio in Netflix, go into Android Settings > Sounds > Digital sounds > select HDMI
Not sure if you will get 5.1 passthrough audio over SPDIF with Netflix.

I believe the Mi Box does not support Multichannel 5.1 PCM Audio output which is what you have set at the moment.

I know how to set Kodi for my basic stereo hardware, but I would like to understand the options in general.

With passthrough off in Kodi, I get PCM audio output, and that's why the sound looks normal, is this what you mean ? So that's the answer to my first question. I only have two physical channels so I cannot test if the output can be multichannel in this case.

Still I don't understand the Digital sounds Android menu. I don't have Netflix so I cannot test that. Are you saying that the Android 'HDMI' setting only applies to Netflix, which looks weird ?
Or maybe the "Digital sounds" setting is the passthrough option at the Android level (that is, for all apps) ?

- PCM would be no passthrough, Android decodes the signal and sends PCM

- HDMI would be passthrough to HDMI output

- SPIDF would be passthrough to SPDIF output

So if Kodi is set to passthrough ON, then obviously it doesn't care of the Android setting.

Is it correct ?
  • 124(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21