• 176(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2019-01-25, 20:53)jacanuck Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 17:51)mutagen Wrote:
(2019-01-24, 16:31)jacanuck Wrote:  I think that some of the random positive posts in here that surround actual complaints are probably Xiaomi plants - it doesn't make sense - why would anyone praise a box that is so obviously defective.  I guess it's a decent device if you have a standalone TV from the early 2000s, no audio system, and no desire to watch recently encoded content.     
 Exactly I have no desire to play ripped blue-ray (which is ilegal) content and I have no audio system, I have a TCL 4k tv and I only use it to watch streaming services and the legal video addons for that I have had no problems. wrxtasy advice has been always invaluable. To be clear about the blue ray ripping
"The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD or Blue-ray, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful."  
I'm not sure I understand what your desire to consume legal content has to do with the technical deficiency of the Mi Box S (and upcoming changes to similarly neuter the Mi Box).

There are many legitimate sources of content with high resolution audio.  Atmos/3D sound is provided by Netflix via Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio (one example only).

I applaud your strict following of the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act.", but your description of such has literally added zero value to this conversation.  Do you work for Xiaomi?  Why are you shilling their product?

Atmos by Netflix is via Dolby digital +.
(2019-01-25, 22:10)m.r.f. Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 17:51)mutagen Wrote:  Exactly I have no desire to play ripped blue-ray (which is ilegal) content and I have no audio system, I have a TCL 4k tv and I only use it to watch streaming services and the legal video addons for that I have had no problems. wrxtasy advice has been always invaluable. To be clear about the blue ray ripping
"The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD or Blue-ray, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful."  
I'm not sure I understand what your desire to consume legal content has to do with the technical deficiency of the Mi Box S (and upcoming changes to similarly neuter the Mi Box).

There are many legitimate sources of content with high resolution audio.  Atmos/3D sound is provided by Netflix via Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio (one example only).

I applaud your strict following of the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act.", but your description of such has literally added zero value to this conversation.  Do you work for Xiaomi?  Why are you shilling their product? 

Atmos by Netflix is via Dolby digital +. 
It looks like it varies by device - and that you are correct.

Regardless, this is a Kodi forum.  Kodi passes through these audio formats.  Source files with these audio formats are important - and the Mi Box S ability to pass these through is broken.

This has nothing to do with legal vs. non legal content.
(2019-01-25, 21:48)mutagen Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 17:51)mutagen Wrote:  Exactly I have no desire to play ripped blue-ray (which is ilegal) content and I have no audio system, I have a TCL 4k tv and I only use it to watch streaming services and the legal video addons for that I have had no problems. wrxtasy advice has been always invaluable. To be clear about the blue ray ripping

You started attacking and slandering people that had no problem with this box. 
I'm not attacking or slandering anyone other than the developers and manufacturing at Xiaomi.

I'm surprised that anybody would reply with positive comments about this box when it has been demonstrated to be a broken implementation of several critical features, including (but not limited to) support of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.
(2019-01-24, 16:31)jacanuck Wrote:
(2019-01-22, 22:47)marceli7 Wrote: No answer, sooo... Is it a fake post or some misunderstand?    
 I think that some of the random positive posts in here that surround actual complaints are probably Xiaomi plants - it doesn't make sense - why would anyone praise a box that is so obviously defective.  I guess it's a decent device if you have a standalone TV from the early 2000s, no audio system, and no desire to watch recently encoded content.    
 Exactly I have no desire to play ripped blue-ray (which is ilegal) content and I have no audio system, I have a TCL 4k tv and I only use it to watch streaming services and the legal video addons for that I have had no problems. wrxtasy advice has been always invaluable. To be clear about the blue ray ripping
Where do you get your content to use with Kodi??
(2019-01-26, 01:38)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2019-01-24, 16:31)jacanuck Wrote:  I think that some of the random positive posts in here that surround actual complaints are probably Xiaomi plants - it doesn't make sense - why would anyone praise a box that is so obviously defective.  I guess it's a decent device if you have a standalone TV from the early 2000s, no audio system, and no desire to watch recently encoded content.    
Where do you get your content to use with Kodi?? 
from here the official kodi repository
(2019-01-25, 22:31)jacanuck Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 21:48)mutagen Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 20:53)jacanuck Wrote: I'm not sure I understand what your desire to consume legal content has to do with the technical deficiency of the Mi Box S (and upcoming changes to similarly neuter the Mi Box).

You started attacking and slandering people that had no problem with this box.  
I'm not attacking or slandering anyone other than the developers and manufacturing at Xiaomi.

I'm surprised that anybody would reply with positive comments about this box when it has been demonstrated to be a broken implementation of several critical features, including (but not limited to) support of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough.
It looks like you have very deem knowledge of English because it is clear that you do not understand what slandering means, specially when you have accepted doing so, you have move from speculating to affirming your false accusations.
slander
verb
gerund or present participle: slandering
make false and damaging statements about (someone).
to come back to the topic, firmware beta 5 build 2477 was released 16th jan according to this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2809738
It seems that some people here participate in the beta program. Would you share some feedback ?
(2019-01-26, 16:41)mutagen Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 22:31)jacanuck Wrote:
(2019-01-25, 21:48)mutagen Wrote: You started attacking and slandering people that had no problem with this box.  

It looks like you have very deem knowledge of English because it is clear that you do not understand what slandering means, specially when you have accepted doing so, you have move from speculating to affirming your false accusations.
slander
verb
gerund or present participle: slandering
make false and damaging statements about (someone).  
Let's try our best to stay on topic, in lieu of critiquing my English (with your own spelling and grammatical errors - I love it!)

The Mi Box S does not support DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD passthrough, it has trouble consistently decoding such, and there are bugs with regards to AAC to PCM conversion (where surround tracks are being provided to AVR and other equipment as stereo vs. what the actual speaker settings are in KODI).

This device is broken - and its previous itteration, the Mi Box 4K, currently does not exhibit these same bugs (albeit I'm sure there are others worth complaining about as well).

The developers are quoted as saying that the bugs on the "S" model are intentional, and that the previous iteration will break during a pending software update (breaking a box that has worked in this capacity for quite some time already).
I'd love to hear feedback on the latest firmware beta for both devices to see if the developer has followed through on their documented statements.
I'm with you man. I loved this thing. Then they broke it. 6 months later and we still have a crippled box. Why on earth did they upgrade to Oreo? Clearly they didn't test it before they pushed the update. There's no way. I'm outside of the return window for Walmart, but at this point, I don't care. At the minimum I want a gift certificate for the price of the box. This is unacceptable. I'm gonna replace it with a Nvidia Shield, and stay the hell away from Xiaom from now on.
Haha well done Xiaomi scammer, they have changed picture about Mibox S audio supported
Bahah - Where are all the Xiaomi defenders now.  What a garbage company.
I think i should get back Mibox to store =)))
We have not even started yet on the erroneous and deceptive Dolby Audio branding Xiaomi are using on the Mi Box...

DOLBY AUDIO™ BRAND GUIDELINES
ISSUE 1.4 (click)

Quote:The Dolby Audio platform brand, in particular, simplifies Dolby technologies for consumers by representing a number of different audio technologies such as Dolby Digital Plus™ and Dolby® TrueHD.

Quote:For Products and Experiences Enabled with Dolby Audio...
Dolby Audio - Supported Format References:
Dolby Audio™ (supporting Dolby Digital Plus™, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® TrueHD)

And assuming the Mi Box is classified under the PC hardware section....

Quote:For PCs, products must utilize a Dolby decoder and Dolby post processing
in order to use the Dolby Audio logo and branding.

What Xiaomi deceptively gives users:

2016 - Mi Box Oreo 8.0 Firmware:
- 5.1 DD+ passthrough has audio dropouts
- 5.1 DD+ is not post processed and output as 5.1 DD, nor is there a SPDIF Android Settings output option to be able to output such DD audio.
- Has IEC61937 audio support for Kodi HD audio passthrough in Firmware.

2018 - Mi Box S Oreo 8.1 Firmware:
- 5.1 DD+ passthrough has audio dropouts
- 5.1 DD+ is not post processed and output as 5.1 DD, nor is there a SPDIF Android Settings output option to be able to output such DD audio.
- The IEC61937 audio standard support has now gone missing from Firmware.

W.

haha I saw Xiaomi changed the website. Well, Xiaomi was kicked from Brazil after a few months because everything they tried to sell were out of the officials standards imposed by law and costumer support was deceptive.  

BTW, I´m still using mibox 3 (lastest official build) with Kodi Leia and, at least, atmos is working well in kodi. A few drop outs, but I can live with it. 

To minimize the issues I set the box at 4K - 24Hz all the time and I only use Kodi (no netflix or prime).
With mi box s oreo 8.1, any way to store files in a external drive with usb, not is formated as internal external.

With all app, fail, because docomuentsui not is installed.

Any idea to fix this problem?

Or is a bug of this rom?

Thanks in advance
  • 176(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21