Solved Kodi 17 A2 Music library album artist scan error
Tested on Kodi 17 0508 nightly / Win 7

Album is in its own folder. File format is FLAC (Vorbis comments)
Tags (example 1 of 16 files):

Title: Christmas at Ground Zero
File: 15 Christmas At Ground Zero - Weird Al Yankovic.flac
Artist: "Weird Al" Yankovic
AlbumArtist: Dr. Demento
Album: Dr. Demento Presents the Greatest Christmas Novelty CD of All Time
Discnumber:
Disc:
Track: 15
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID: 7746d775-9550-4360-b8d5-c37bd448ce01
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID:
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 4e28d01a-ab73-42ab-b0ca-7a8327611fa2
Artists:
AlbumArtists:

All files/tracks have similar tags (artist tag, MB artist id tag, MB album tag, albumartist, NO MB albumartist id.

Album Artist (Dr, Demento) was added to the artist table 14 times. The MB artist id field was set to each of the 14 unique MB artist ids. The entry for the first track was used as the album artist (MB artist is for "The Chipmunks", as set on track 1).

The track artist was NOT added to the artist table.

There was no "compilation" tag. I edited the tags to add the COMPILATION = 1, rescanned and cleaned but it had on effect on the database (other than updated the album compilation field of course).

I have some other albums with problems. I will update this post with findings as I examine my database.

Update 1. Album Queen of Jazz

Tags for 1 track:

Title: This Love of Mine
File: 02 This Love Of Mine - Ella Fitzgerald.flac
Artist: Ella Fitzgerald and Her Famous Orchestra
AlbumArtist: Ella Fitzgerald
Album: Queen of Jazz
Discnumber:
Disc:
Track: 2
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID: e67a956b-b7cd-4deb-b41e-461e976cd191
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID:
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 002c1c36-9964-41a9-b06c-738d8292d995
Artists:
AlbumArtists:

In this case two artist table entries for "Ella Fitzgerald", one with MB Artist id set to the one for Ella Fitzgerald and Her Famous Orchestra, the other with MB Artist id set to the one for Ella Fitzgerald. Again the first entry was used as the album artist and "Ella Fitzgerald and Her Famous Orchestra" was not added to the artists table. (I note that the song artist string is correct in all instances).

scott s.
Thanks greatly for this testing and feedback Scott. I am hoping to merge some additional changes to artist tag processing soon, so re-testing will be needed at some point too, but these impact files without mbids. Great to use this thread as a testing exchange.

At first glance it is the absense of MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID that is causing the issue, obviously Kodi needs to deal with that better. I'll get on the case!

Looking deeper there is an obvious mistake in the code - oops Confused

Fix will be in the next nightly.
@DaveBlake

Might I make a suggestion, that there be a new Forum Created called Kodi Music (or Music in Kodi). As, I end up finding your posts all over these forums, but never a consistent place to read what you are doing, and whats going on with Music in Kodi.

It might be a small Forum at first, but if you were to move all the Questions and Problems people have asked in all the various Forums, it would fill in quite nicely.

Keep up the Great work.
Good suggestion Powerhouse, it would make life easier for me too. I have mooted having a "music corner" before, but it didn't get anywhere, I'll ask within the team again and see what they think.

But not sure how "music corner" fits in the Support, Development, Discussions forum headings structure, it kind of wants to cut across all of those. Anyway I've created a thread (in yet another place) to discuss it http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275276
On this issue, I have about 40 entries for "various artists" each with a different MBID that came from the song artist MBID. This may be partly my fault through improper tagging. In some cases in APE tags I have MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID instead of MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID which Kodi is looking for (the former tag was copied from ID3v2 where it is valid for Kodi to APE where it is not).

I've been a little slow in investigating how the Krypton improvements affect things. I maintain a skin and there have been massive changes needed for Krypton and that has kind of sucked up my time. I do have the framework setup for music roles but had to put testing and dev on hold while redoing all the Kodi settings required by changes in core. There is a thread on roles and I plan to post to that as I work on the skin side of implementation. I also need to review song/album/artist info and the star rating change among others.

scott s.
(2016-05-19, 22:24)scott967 Wrote: On this issue, I have about 40 entries for "various artists" each with a different MBID that came from the song artist MBID. This may be partly my fault through improper tagging.
No, it's definitely my coding cockup Scott. Sorry.

Quote:In some cases in APE tags I have MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID instead of MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID which Kodi is looking for (the former tag was copied from ID3v2 where it is valid for Kodi to APE where it is not).
The issue starts with Musicbrainz Picard and their choice of tag names varying between formats. It caught me out when I used a script in Mp3tag to add mids, it used the ID3 names in FLAC and of course it didn't work. Kodi is being precice to the Musicbrainz spec for tag names for Ids, but we could be more flexible and accept alternatives. Or do we just stick to the spec?

Quote:I've been a little slow in investigating how the Krypton improvements affect things. I maintain a skin and there have been massive changes needed for Krypton and that has kind of sucked up my time. I do have the framework setup for music roles but had to put testing and dev on hold while redoing all the Kodi settings required by changes in core. There is a thread on roles and I plan to post to that as I work on the skin side of implementation. I also need to review song/album/artist info and the star rating change among others.

There just aren't enough hours in the day. Let me know if I can advise regardling any core changes I have contributed to or do some skin testing for you, at least the music aspects.

I'm hoping to get my lastest artist tag improvements (for files without mbid mainly) merged today. Probably worth waiting for that before testing the music scanning again with any detail.
Those artist tag processing enhancements (and fix) are in the nightly now Scott if you have time for some re-testing.

You can feed back on main testing thread if you like.
Fixed in 0523. Thanks.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 A2 Music library album artist scan error0