• 2(current)
Codec Info overlay
It's great for quickly telling if I'm watching h.264 or h.264 10bit, since Kodi only shows them as h,264 by icon. Just one of the useful cases.

I'm also often roughly curious to see what average bitrates I'm chewing on at the time.
+1
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2016-05-22, 01:50)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It's great for quickly telling if I'm watching h.264 or h.264 10bit, since Kodi only shows them as h,264 by icon. Just one of the useful cases.

I'm also often roughly curious to see what average bitrates I'm chewing on at the time.

Agreed
You have to distinguish between real-time values that change like drop/skip and static info like codec name. The old debug screen had major flaws i.e. bringing up the screen made many systems get late and drip/skip as a result.
If you want to get info like codec name, you can use JSON-RPC. Another option could be to add a dialog to skins that displays the static information.[/code]
So we will have tools to handle information like the one we have now with "o".
This is good.
I asked as soon as I saw the discussion on this being removed. I still haven't installed Krypton but from the screenshots provided I really hope relevant information is brought back. If not "always", have it available with a setting, like debugging can be activated from settings. When setting up a new machine, it's crucial to be able to evaluate performance in realtime, with regard to dropped/repeated frames and so on and so forth.
Kodi is already unclear enough in its video/audio handling part, I was hoping it could get better... but I see the opposite happening here. Sad
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2016-05-22, 16:11)ashlar Wrote: I asked as soon as I saw the discussion on this being removed. I still haven't installed Krypton but from the screenshots provided I really hope relevant information is brought back. If not "always", have it available with a setting, like debugging can be activated from settings. When setting up a new machine, it's crucial to be able to evaluate performance in realtime, with regard to dropped/repeated frames and so on and so forth.
Kodi is already unclear enough in its video/audio handling part, I was hoping it could get better... but I see the opposite happening here. Sad

I am the main developer of video and audio and need this information displayed in this dialog most of all. Please stop complaining about removed crap that was implemented incorrectly. There was a reason why I did this change. I have given alternatives how to get the information. Feel free to list your contribution to audio/video and how the old crappy overlay did help you doing this.
Oh, another thing, frame rate, this function has been super good at seeing which framerate your content is at if it's relevant. My library has a mix of content at 24, 25, 30 and 48fps, it can be useful to quickly tell what the framerate of the file being played is.
(2016-05-22, 09:08)FernetMenta Wrote: you can use JSON-RPC

That's no good for a user who wants to troubleshoot, you might as well say learn Chinese. It's not only devs with the technical know how to use JSON-RPC that this stuff is useful to.
(2016-05-22, 16:31)FernetMenta Wrote: I am the main developer of video and audio and need this information displayed in this dialog most of all. Please stop complaining about removed crap that was implemented incorrectly. There was a reason why I did this change. I have given alternatives how to get the information. Feel free to list your contribution to audio/video and how the old crappy overlay did help you doing this.
FernetMenta, I am not a programmer. I'm a user discussing in a user section. As such, I resent your implication that "I'm not doing anything for the project". I am doing, politely, what a user is expected to do. Tone down the attitude, it's useless.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2016-05-23, 09:07)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 09:08)FernetMenta Wrote: you can use JSON-RPC

That's no good for a user who wants to troubleshoot, you might as well say learn Chinese. It's not only devs with the technical know how to use JSON-RPC that this stuff is useful to.

Place this URL as a bookmark into you browser (change host/port appropriately). That's no rocket science.

Code:
localhost:8080/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.GetProperties","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["currentvideostream"]}, "id": 1}
(2016-05-23, 10:50)FernetMenta Wrote: Place this URL as a bookmark into you browser (change host/port appropriately). That's no rocket science.

Code:
localhost:8080/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.GetProperties","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["currentvideostream"]}, "id": 1}

From a usability perspective, this is vastly inferior to 'Push button on keyboard/remote'.
I don't know of many (if any) video player that do not give some sort of real time playback stats.
Removing some basic functionality just because it's not perfectly implemented without having a better implementation to replace it doesn't make any sense for any reasonable user.
(2016-05-23, 16:28)thorazine74 Wrote: I don't know of many (if any) video player that do not give some sort of real time playback stats.
Removing some basic functionality just because it's not perfectly implemented without having a better implementation to replace it doesn't make any sense for any reasonable user.

I am sorry but I am tired of reading such nonsense. Do you really think that I removed this for the sake of removing functionality? I am transforming video player which is a lot of work and I am by far the top contributor in this area. My list of todos is quite long and there are many many things that are much more important than this silly codec stats 99% of users can't interpret correctly anyway.
Dear FernetMenta.

First off, don't be such a dick in the forum, just because you have done allot of great work and fixed and improved a shitload of things over the years. We are grateful for that, but that does not allow you to be a dick about it to the end users. Not a single person in here will be using kodi the same way you do, and most don't have a second computer in arms reach to use json. And you even say 99% can't interpret it correctly anyways, so what on earth do you think users will do when they're faced with:
Code:
{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"currentaudiostream":{"bitrate":638386,"channels":2,"codec":"dca","index":0,"language":"eng","name":"DTS Stereo"},"currentvideostream":{"codec":"h264","height":824,"index":0,"language":"eng","name":"","width":1920}}}
Granted, the code might have been bad and needed fixing, but just removing it and calling users stupid is not a fix. You could say it's due to be fixed, but has low priority right now. Those stats are basic and needed quite often for quite a lot of users to determine how to proceed with debunking their issues. As the code is now, a lot less can be done by the user, making the need for a developer to look at log higher. Resulting in less time to fix issues. That could be seen as shooting yourself in the foot somewhat. If you need somewhere to release some anger, I can suit up in a sumo-wrestler blow-up suit and we can fight. Big Grin
Samsung ES7005 55" led tv - Denon AVR-3313 - NAD C275BEE - B&W DM683 - B&W HTM61 - B&W 686
Intel NUC D34010WYK - 128GB Crucial ssd, Built in IR Receiver
And a Logitech Harmony Touch to control it all. https://libreelec.tv
Retired: Asus EB1501P ION2 - OCZ Vertex 2 64gb ssd - Built in IR Receiver
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Codec Info overlay1