• 1(current)
Codec Info overlay
I would like to see a return, in Krypton, of the more detailed codec info overlay from Jarvis. From this...

...back to this...

Thanks! Big Grin
+1 from me for this too. The new overlay does not show as much information.
IIRC, parts got removed in some code cleanup, and devs were invited to add back the additional info as long as they used clean code. Someone might be working on that and it just hasn't been finished yet?
nobody is working on that, once I wanted adding back info whether video is hw/sw decoded to debug overlay, and I've been told not going to happen because regular joe has no clue about codecs and s**t and is not using it anyway, and a dev would look at his log, anyway..
there are some informations that should be implemented back again:

1) resolution: at the moment there is no information about the resolution of a video. this is especialy importand for online videos.
2) cpu usage
3) used codec (also most importand for online sources, e.g. i play a music stream and its usefull to know if the stream is 128 kb/s mp3 or aac or ogg...)

@stefansaraev: maybe you are able to impement "inbetween"-solution?. i think kodi 16 and older have to much codec-informations but kodi 17 have far to less informations. maybe its possible to bring back the most important infos.
+1

Personally i think in Krypton the 'O' button has become useless.
Sure hope a dev delivers the clean code to bring back the missing info..!
(2016-05-20, 10:57)stefansaraev Wrote: nobody is working on that, once I wanted adding back info whether video is hw/sw decoded to debug overlay, and I've been told not going to happen because regular joe has no clue about codecs and s**t and is not using it anyway, and a dev would look at his log, anyway..

Then better remove it completely because regular user will never press O unless by mistake, and for advanced users its useless this way. After all why does a movie player need playback stats for? Only devs need to know that stuff.
So now to diagnose playback bugs we have to turn on debug log, play the video, switch to window mode, open the log, read, change settings, switch to full screen again, play back again, repeat....
for me, those are really useful information. i hope they come back.
(2016-05-20, 15:14)thorazine74 Wrote:
(2016-05-20, 10:57)stefansaraev Wrote: nobody is working on that, once I wanted adding back info whether video is hw/sw decoded to debug overlay, and I've been told not going to happen because regular joe has no clue about codecs and s**t and is not using it anyway, and a dev would look at his log, anyway..

...After all why does a movie player need playback stats for? Only devs need to know that stuff.

you are wrong. not only a developer wants to know if the internet stream ist 480p, 720p... and the sound 32kb mp3 or 192 kb aac.......
iam not a developer and i use it very often and iam sure iam not the only one.
+1

Codec Info overlay is a very important feature for me. I always use similar OSD-info (Tab key) in Potplayer.
I need Information:

1. Playback Time (00:01:43/00:04:46 (36%))
where 36 % is a video progress

2. CPU Usage
3. GPU Usage
4. Video resolution

(2016-05-20, 15:14)thorazine74 Wrote: Then better remove it completely because regular user will never press O unless by mistake, and for advanced users its useless this way. After all why does a movie player need playback stats for? Only devs need to know that stuff.
So now to diagnose playback bugs we have to turn on debug log, play the video, switch to window mode, open the log, read, change settings, switch to full screen again, play back again, repeat....

I totally use this function very frequently and I find it helpful, but I'm not a Dev, so I must be doing it wrong?

Thats really absurd for it to be blocked for such reasons. The overlay isn't being used by regular users anyways, it's only being used by those who are troubleshooting. Even then, I don't see how that is a reason to not include the data.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such crap :/
I use the overlay function regularly on all versions up to Jarvis. The one on Krypton does not show enough information.

I use it to see how my system is performing, for troubleshooting and fine tuning of my settings in Kodi and it is much better to see these results live.

Going back and fourth with the debug logs can be tedious for this work and are not always suitable for the task at hand.

For example, I use the overlay function to test whether my PVR and buffering settings in advancedsettings.xml have worked properly.

I also use it to monitor dropped frames and to see what audio stream is playing.

It is not only developers who use this information.
Quote:It is not only developers who use this information.
Yes, I wonder where the assumption came from..Tongue
I use the overlay all the time, I like to see codec info plus keep an eye on dropped/skipped frames. Its very useful!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Codec Info overlay1