• 15(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
Tested millhouses latest nightly and everything is generally working well.

One thing I noticed was an issue with collaboration albums such as this. I believe this is expected behavior though.

I have this album in my collection which is by 2 artists.

https://beta.musicbrainz.org/release-gro...f294d24bc2

This means that Kodi scans both artists in (even though I have "show song and album artists" unticked), unfortunately that also grabs the artwork for the first artist as the second artist.

Anyway, as I say I believe this is expected behaviour(the album is in a "2Pac" folder with artist image), but I think its new behavior for Krypton so worth mentioning.
Thanks for testing and feedback Zag.

Yes expected behaviour. Scanning of tags has improved such that collaborative albums with more than one album artist Kodi is much more likely to identify them correctly as separate artists. Artwork and scraping additional data needs to catch up. Multiple album artists are not handled well by the scraping process that assumes there is always an obvious unique artist folder. It is something I will work on for v18, so good to have an example from your collection. Classical music frequently has multiple album artists e.g. Anton Bruckner, The Cleveland Orchestra, Cristoph von Dohnanyi

Anyone liking to collaborate on improved scraping that is less music folder structure dpendant is most welcome. Smile
(2016-05-20, 17:57)DaveBlake Wrote: What is this
Please use this thread for both reporting and asking questions about the most recent changes to the way Kodi 17.0 Krypton processes the music file tags (ID3, APE2, Vorbis etc.) to create the music library and the associated new features.

Just migrated from Kodi 16.1 stable (OSMC) and Kodi 17beta7, on a headless raspberry PI, and using a MySQL DB (running on the same DB). I have a 3K album collection all in cue+flac, mounted on an external NFS share. Overall, it went totally flawlessly and the new Music DB features in Kodi17 are just nice. The "database migration" took a few minutes, and the "media re-scan" took many hours, but it completed with no issues.

However, there is one quirk: Music > Recently Added Albums gives bizarre results (very old albums added to the DB years ago), which seem to be the "last scanned albums" instead of the "last ADDED albums".

If instead I browse to Music > Albums and the choose "Data Added / Descending" then I can see the real "recent" albums. So I know the information is there. I also checked in the MySQL tables & views directly, and could confirm that the "date added" column is there and was correctly imported into the new DB tables.

Request: can "Recently Added Albums" be fixed to show the last added albums even right after importing the database?

(right now, adding new albums do take those albums to the top of the Recent Albums list, so this problem is specific to upgrade scenarios that go through DB migrations; new installs are not impacted).
@htpcero thanks for the feedback on the upgrade process, good to hear about success as well as bugs Smile
(2016-12-31, 08:42)htpcero Wrote: However, there is one quirk: Music > Recently Added Albums gives bizarre results (very old albums added to the DB years ago), which seem to be the "last scanned albums" instead of the "last ADDED albums".

If instead I browse to Music > Albums and the choose "Data Added / Descending" then I can see the real "recent" albums. So I know the information is there. I also checked in the MySQL tables & views directly, and could confirm that the "date added" column is there and was correctly imported into the new DB tables.

Request: can "Recently Added Albums" be fixed to show the last added albums even right after importing the database?

(right now, adding new albums do take those albums to the top of the Recent Albums list, so this problem is specific to upgrade scenarios that go through DB migrations; new installs are not impacted).
I can understand the results that you see after upgrading.

Both music and video libraries are designed around a delete/insert approach to update, a side effect of this is that Kodi does not know when an item was added to the library for the first time. The "dateadded" field is actually just the file timestamp, and of course that may be quite different to the time the item was added to the library. But the ids are allocated in order that things are added, so often the most recent id is used to identify the most recently added things not the fake "dateadded". I say "often" because between JSON, playlists and node I would have to check what does use "dateadded" and what uses id.

What Kodi really needs is to have fixed ids (not delete/insert) and then true date added values. That would satisfy your request and much more.

Having messed with my tagging, and thus changed the file timestamp I find myself wanting support for a custom "date purchased" tag as a way to really capture my new music. Not release date or recording date, or date I ripped it from CD, or last time I edited tagging date, or even when I scanned it into Kodi for the very first time (I scanned my new pop before I scanned my old classical).

But I guess in the short term the option of recent via id or recent via file timestamp whould be an easier work around. I have a vague idea it might be possible now via a custom node - need to check, even I can't remember what I have implemented!
(2016-12-31, 14:26)DaveBlake Wrote: But I guess in the short term the option of recent via id or recent via file timestamp whould be an easier work around. I have a vague idea it might be possible now via a custom node - need to check, even I can't remember what I have implemented!

Thanks @DaveBlake for this, hope it can make to Kodi17! totally agree that the ideal long term solution would be a proper tag like datePurchased (or rather dateAddedToCollection ... rather than the date it was first scanned to the library), and having the above behavior in the interim would be nice and bring consistency. Thinking about tags to capture for this, please take Cuefiles into account in addtion to vorbis/mp3 Smile - something like REM DATEADDEDTOCOLLECTION etc.

Another quirk I just found in the kodi log: the log gets polluted with hundreds and hundreds of entries like:

11:19:22.554 T:1150411760 ERROR: SQL: [MyMusic60] Undefined MySQL error: Code (1054)
Query: SELECT DISTINCT song_genre.idGenre, Genre.strGenre FROM song_artist JOIN song ON song_artist.idSong = song.idSong JOIN song_genre ON song.idSong = song_genre.idSong JOIN genre ON song_genre.idGenre = genre.idGenre WHERE song_artist.idArtist = 1340 ORDER BY song_genre.idGenre
11:19:22.554 T:1150411760 ERROR: GetGenresByArtist(1340) failed

Seems to be one per artist or possibly per album. I can see this happens every time Yatse (the android remote) does a "music database refresh".

Notice that since my collection DB is built based on cuesheets, there is no such thing as "Artist Genre" defined anywhere (every album in the cuesheet is tagged by an album-specific genre, e.g. REM GENRE Classical). Looks like during the migration Kodi didn't add any default value for this field and it looks like this is creating some problem. Should Kodi return "None" or some other default Genre response instead of erroring out?
Doing some new year housekeeping and splitting some of the specific issues out into separate threads. If you can't find your post or my replies then they will be off in a separate thread on this subforum.

Thanks all for your testing and feedback. There will be a new thread for v18 work Smile
I have a tread of it's own http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2507306 but for completeness I'll add my experiences here. (Raspberry Pi 2, libreelec beta, Kodi 17.0)
Using Musicbrainz Picard for tagging. (Showdown! by Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland)
1. Look up album
2. edit albumartist -> Robert Cray, MB Release Artist ID -> Robert Cray's ID, albumartist sort order -> Cray, Robert
3. Scan to library
4. It is now listed under John Lee Hooker & Robert Cray. WTF?
Shouldn't it be Listed under Robert Cray and once inside the Robert Cray listing it should display as Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland?

I also tried a multi albumartist entry using / as separator and neither albumartists or album got sorted into the library, it could only be found under latest albums added.

Now, shouldn't a multiple albumartist entry sort the album under each of the contributing artists in his respective artist listing? This is specifically using a multi albumartist listing. (Understandably using multiple artists on different tracks and not having a specific albumartist should sort under various artists.)
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1