v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
(2016-06-02, 07:34)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-06-01, 23:18)bsoriano Wrote: I am a longtime Kodi user who on and off has used Kodi for music. The reason I keep deleting my music database from Kodi is that I have a large collection (over 145,000 tracks: mp3s, FLAC and some m4a) and it has usually been really difficult (and slow!) to get everything scanned properly into Kodi, or to get meaningful metadata for all of the artists and albums in my collection (which covers a very wide range of genres). I tag all of my files in a way that works for me and does not leave empty or with "garbage" the main tags: All of my files have an artist, albumartist, name, track number, disc number, album, genre and year. All of the songs which have more than one artist performing have "Artist 1 / Artist 2 / Artist n" in the Artist tag, and all of my compilation albums are tagged with an album artist "(Multiple Artists)". However, the program I use to tag my files (and manage and listen to my music collection, J River Media Center) does not use Musicbrainz IDs.

Are you interested in tests with a collection like what I describe above? Please let me know, since I am willing to try once more to use Kodi for music with Krypton. Thanks.

Bart, yes I would be very happy to have your large, Musicbrainz id tag free, music collecton scanned into Krypton and see how it goes. Be great if you could find the time to do that and report back.

At this point I am most interested in the pre-metadata phase, just scanning into library not scraping artist bios, album reviews artwork etc. from online sources. At the moment if you had issues before then getting meaningful metadata is not going to be any better or easier an experience. The presence of mbids would improve this, but to be honest even the person that designed the Universal Scrapers does not have them in their music files, it does work without them but success does depend on your musical tastes. But right now the third-party metadata servers are suffering from overload which is making scraping an even more miss than hit experience. Switching to a mrror can help matters (discussed elsewhere), and I have some ideas for improving things in Kodi core that may help longer term, but I don't want you to be disappointed.

So I'm not sure how much you personally are going to get from this testing (other than a sense of serving the community of course). But I'm certainly keen to know how scanning goes and what the resulting artists list looks like. Longer term I am interested to hear what your issues with scraping metadata were too. There are a few threads on this dotted about, maybe I had better start one on this forum too.

Thanks Dave! I will download the latest Krypton nightly tonight and start testing with my music collection. I will report here what I find with the scanning and how the artists list looks.

Regards,

Bart

Messages In This Thread
RE: TESTERS WANTED: Krypton 17 Music Library Improvements - by bsoriano - 2016-06-02, 15:20
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1