• 5(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
(2016-06-10, 16:48)DaveBlake Wrote: Before I chase my tail Troy, doing my party piece of reverse engineering tags from Db result, tell me that you aren't scraping too. "Prefer online info" and "Fetch additional information on update" settings are both disabled, right?

I have "Prefer online info" and "Fetch additional information on update" disabled the only enabled setting is enable tag reading

Troy
OK just scanning tags, no scraping...

The compilation "Armageddon: The Album" has a track with
artist = "Journey feat. Steve Auger"
It should also have
Musicbrainz artist id = abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b; 24e6290c-8e4d-469f-9f89-0527118ef659
the values for Journey and Steve in order.

Does it? I have to wonder if the mbids are the other way round somehow, did you do any editing? Please check this file.

Then again you ended up with multiple "Journey"entries before you include the compilation, I think. Could you go back to just loading the albums with "Journey" as the album artist, no compilation albums, and see what happens. let me have that db please.
That "through the mirror" album is not a Journey (Rock group) album but is this artist -> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/a26ff336-3...81c9a517a9 - Journey (the trance project of Free-Spirit Records' founder Jay OM). Perhaps this is causing some confusion somewhere ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-06-10, 17:02)DaveBlake Wrote: OK just scanning tags, no scraping...

The compilation "Armageddon: The Album" has a track with
artist = "Jorney feat. Steve Auger"
It should also have
Musicbrainz artist id = abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b; 24e6290c-8e4d-469f-9f89-0527118ef659
the values for Journey and Steve in order.

Does it? I have to wonder if the mbids are the other way round somehow, did you do any editing? Please check this file.

Then again you ended up with multiple "Journey"entries before you include the compilation, I think. Could you go back to just loading the albums with "Journey" as the album artist, no compilation albums, and see what happens. let me have that db please.

Dave here is the screenshot of The compilation "Armageddon: The Album" ;
Album screenshot

i will re run and post the DB soon...
Troy
(2016-06-10, 17:05)black_eagle Wrote: That "through the mirror" album is not a Journey (Rock group) album but is this artist -> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/a26ff336-3...81c9a517a9 - Journey (the trance project of Free-Spirit Records' founder Jay OM). Perhaps this is causing some confusion somewhere ?

Just spotted that too. Yes it is contributing.
What it means is that the 2 Journey entries in the artists node are accurate, it is separate artists with the same name. Thuis showing the value of using mbids Smile

The "steve Auger" take-over issue is down to tagging in the compiation album, I'm betting.
(2016-06-10, 17:05)black_eagle Wrote: That "through the mirror" album is not a Journey (Rock group) album but is this artist -> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/a26ff336-3...81c9a517a9 - Journey (the trance project of Free-Spirit Records' founder Jay OM). Perhaps this is causing some confusion somewhere ?

Good find..... I think your right there .....

we can forget about that one ....but, Not sure how to differentiate between the two artist if they are named the same without changing Tags?

and focus on the compilation "various Artist" folder order issue..
just to add i have not changed any tags... for that album all MB
In that screen shot the of "Armageddon: The Album" the name and mbid tags have things transposed.
Yet to check Picard with this, darn server delays!
(2016-06-10, 17:20)deveng24 Wrote: we can forget about that one ....but, Not sure how to differentiate between the two artist if they are named the same without changing Tags?

Well if you scrape art work you will have an artist picture to guide you Smile
(2016-06-10, 17:23)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 17:20)deveng24 Wrote: we can forget about that one ....but, Not sure how to differentiate between the two artist if they are named the same without changing Tags?

Well if you scrape art work you will have an artist picture to guide you Smile

I tried that ... artwork does not scrape for that artist...but ill try it again...

Turned on universal scraper ... it downloaded info for "various Artist" and the true Journey..... not the "other" journey through the mirror album
You should be able to get art for the popular "Journey" at least, but the servers are a little broken at the moment.

Meanwhile I just looked at Picard and it returned correctly matching names and mbids for "Armageddon: The Album", the mbids in the opposite order to what you had on your screen shot.
abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b; 24e6290c-8e4d-469f-9f89-0527118ef659

So I have to conclude the error is in your tagging.... sorry.
Any idea how those mbids got reversed?
(2016-06-10, 17:31)DaveBlake Wrote: So I have to conclude the error is in your tagging.... sorry.
Any idea how those mbids got reversed?

OK about the journey album ... i good with that.

however,
1) tags were directly from MB picard.. no editting on my part

I do see on the MB page in the xml file Journey is listed first ;
http://musicbrainz.org/release/99a31236-...32dff12a0b
however, MB picard is for what ever reason not tagging it in the order Kodi is wanting to see it ( but only if #2 below)

2) how can changing the directory correct the issue?(scan orderHuh) no tag changes. *** most telling of kodi/MBid tagging issue

Now if you want to blame the users for Kodi not handling what MB is supplying or the placement in their directory fine ... but, it is why Kodi has so many threads about problems with "various artist"

Troy
I ran up Picard and fetched that album, the mbid tags are returned in the correct order.

I have no idea how you got them in the other order. All I can suggest is that you run Picard again and see for yourself, now you know what to look for. What is for certain is that this is not a Kodi issue.

As for the impact of scanning order, it inevitably effects the order in which artists are created. Kodi can only create an artist when it first encounters it. So the errors in the tagging for that track if the first scanned cause "Journey" and "Steve Auger" to be created with the wong associated mbids. When more songs arrive with those mbids the wrong artist was identified in the database.

Only correcting the tags corrects the issue, the order of folder scanning just changes the impact.

Quote:Now if you want to blame the users for Kodi not handling what MB is supplying or the placement in their directory fine ... but, it is why Kodi has so many threads about problems with "various artist"

Unlike some people on Kodi I do not blame users by default, or walk away, far from it. So we haggle on Smile

However I do think that users are responsible for the tags in their music files. I will give my time helping to locate any problems in a user's tags because I am a helpful person, but in the end it is a user problem not a Kodi one;.

If you read my long explanation on other threads you will discover that the issues with language settings and how "various artists" is designed is something completely unrelated to any problem you have encountered. Yes, there is a design problem that has existed for quite a while, it is no mystery, and so far has not been addressed by v17. But do not muddy the waters by dragging it into the series of user tagging generated issues we have been discussing here.

There are a number of people that have had frustrating experiences with mbid integration into Kodi. Some of this was down to issues is earlier versions of Kodi, and I and others have worked to resolve that. But some of it is also done to users doing unexpected things with their tags. In contrast there are a great many people that tag with Picard, accurately scrape artists and album info and have a smooth journey to a rich music library experience. I am working for that to be true for even more people, but frankly there will always be some that don't like the end results.
(2016-06-10, 18:30)DaveBlake Wrote: I ran up Picard and fetched that album, the mbid tags are returned in the correct order.
See Image

Quote:I have no idea how you got them in the other order. All I can suggest is that you run Picard again and see for yourself, now you know what to look for. What is for certain is that this is not a Kodi issue.

MBids, is placing them in that order; no mater if i tag it using MB picard or Tagscanner using online lookup on MB. (no mater which country of origin i select) ..... once again blaming this on a user tagging issue and expecting the normal user to understand this when tagging their files is just wrong.

Quote:As for the impact of scanning order, it inevitably effects the order in which artists are created. Kodi can only create an artist when it first encounters it. So the errors in the tagging for that track if the first scanned cause "Journey" and "Steve Auger" to be created with the wong associated mbids. When more songs arrive with those mbids the wrong artist was identified in the database.

Only correcting the tags corrects the issue, the order of folder scanning just changes the impact.

" Kodi can only create an artist when it first encounters it" this is the main issue with Kodi..... If developers decide to use mbids for identifying the item and then decide to skip validating or even checking it against the other tags it is not the end users fault.

Quote:Unlike some people on Kodi I do not blame users by default, or walk away, far from it. So we haggle on Smile

However I do think that users are responsible for the tags in their music files. I will give my time helping to locate any problems in a user's tags because I am a helpful person, but in the end it is a user problem not a Kodi one;.

Im not saying YOU blame the users and differently not ignoring the issues... and have found mismatched tagged between MBid and my id3 tagged albums/artists (but we will agree to disagree which should take precedent). You are very helpful i hope it doesn't sound like ive said you were not a helpful person.

In the end from the users (not the ones on the forum) point of view it is a Kodi one.... if the user tags all their files using just MB (as per Kodi instructions) and doesn't edit a thing then has an issue because Kodi doesn't like the order of ID (supplied by MB) or the position of the album location in their music directory ... how this become the user issues and not the fundamental issue of kodi and the thought behind its programing on how it scans files.

Quote:If you read my long explanation on other threads you will discover that the issues with language settings and how "various artists" is designed is something completely unrelated to any problem you have encountered. Yes, there is a design problem that has existed for quite a while, it is no mystery, and so far has not been addressed by v17. But do not muddy the waters by dragging it into the series of user tagging generated issues we have been discussing here.

Im not trying to muddy the waters but show Kodi has issues in how it handles files, and for most users it just shows up in "Various artist" more.

Quote:There are a number of people that have had frustrating experiences with mbid integration into Kodi. Some of this was down to issues is earlier versions of Kodi, and I and others have worked to resolve that. But some of it is also done to users doing unexpected things with their tags. In contrast there are a great many people that tag with Picard, accurately scrape artists and album info and have a smooth journey to a rich music library experience. I am working for that to be true for even more people, but frankly there will always be some that don't like the end results.

and you are helping.... but to you tell people they have tagged something wrong even when using only MB info and not editing on there part..... it just screams of a code issue.

it is no different than the Year not handling a format of 6/12/2012 or not parsing of genre tags..... is it the users fault for the date format? or is it MB for supplying the info? is Kodi at fault for not being able to handle it in the code?

I would say its a Kodi problem, obviously lol

Br,
Troy
So I have this album "What a Wonderful Christmas". I don't use Picard, but do use MBID where I can. In this case, MB credits the release to "Louis Armstrong & Friends" but there is no MBID for this. So what I did was tag it such that
Album Artist: Louis Armstrong & Friends
Album Artists: Various Artists
Musicbrainz_AlbumArtistID: 89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377 (i.e., for VA)

and scanned into library (currently at 0523 nightly BTW)

So what I find is that the music database seems all correct. When I go in my skin to the musiclibrary (MyMusicNav.xml) in the album node, $INFO[ListItem.Artist] is giving me "Louis Armstrong & Friends" which is in the database album table strArtists field and also albumview table (this is what I want I think). But when I open the musicinformation dialog (DialogMusicInfo.xml) for this album, there $INFO[ListItem.Artist] is giving me "Various Artists" which is in the database album_artist strArtist field and also albumartistview table which I don't think I want.

In the musiclibrary artist node it only shows up under Various Artists ($INFO[ListItem.Label]) but maybe this is by design (Again, $INFO[ListItem.Artist] shows Louis Armstrong & Friends).

In the musiclibrary compilations node it doesn't show up, so I went back and added the Compilation tag to the song tags to get it to show. It seems like maybe we should check for VA in the Album Artists to set compilation, but this is a one-off so maybe not worth changing since I suspect it takes a bit more programming with good chance to cause more problems than fixing this one case.

But I really think $INFO[ListItem.Artist] in musiclibrary vs musicinformation needs to be looked at.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
"What a Wonderful Christmas"....

Scott, if you did use Picard to tag this album it would have
Album Artist: Louis Armstrong & Friends
Album Artists: Louis Armstrong
Musicbrainz_AlbumArtistID:eea8a864-fcda-4602-9569-38ab446decd6 (i.e. Louis Armstrong)

and behaviour would be slightly different, but your observatons would still apply.

I do think that the rules for identifying a compilation need to be slightly changed, there are some anomolies, there is even a Trac ticket for it. One delemma is do anthologies, like "Greatest Hits" by single artist, count as compilations?

Quote:But I really think $INFO[ListItem.Artist] in musiclibrary vs musicinformation needs to be looked at
Yes, I agree.

Originally, before the handling of ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tags added in v16, the song and album tables held denornalised data in the strArtists field. The individual artists could always be identified by splitting strArtists using the item separator. But tags like "Louis Armstrong & The Benny Carter Orchestra" would have been taken as a single artist, and Kodi was having difficulty separating the diverse artist name strings that Picard produced to match to mbids.

Then the "hints" tags were added, and since v16 the strArtists fields have been effectlively an artist(s) display string for the album or song. But there is some juggling in the code to allow for the fact that sometimes we had all the artists for an item, othertimes we just had this string. Obviously this still isn't consistent

Thanks for noticing this.

Edit: The problem is in CGUIDialogMusicInfo::SetAlbum, the album item isn't being populated correctly.
See PR9948
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1