• 10(current)
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
I'm running it on Gentoo Linux. It's an experimental package that basically clones the kodi github main branch and compiles from there.
I am indeed running it with the mysql backend enabled.
All else went smooth. My classical music has been imported nicely. Thanks for the work.
I am new in this forum.
I recently installed krypton because I was impatiently waiting for the composer tag, and I am very pleased to see it there. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
If in this fabulous story I have three wishes free, here are the first two:

1. I would like to have the composers on the first level (together with album etc.) and not hidden in the roles.

2. I would like to have the composer in the now-playing full-screen mode. For example NOT as it is now:

I Musici
I Musici [1993]
16: Concerto in Fa Mag. op. 23 n.1 - Allegro

BUT:

Antonio Vivaldi
I Musici
I Musici [1993]
(2016-03-18, 13:08)accagì Wrote: I am new in this forum.
I recently installed krypton because I was impatiently waiting for the composer tag, and I am very pleased to see it there. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

1. I would like to have the composers on the first level (together with album etc.) and not hidden in the roles.

2. I would like to have the composer in the now-playing full-screen mode. For example NOT as it is now:

I Musici
I Musici [1993]

BUT:

Antonio Vivaldi
I Musici
I Musici [1993]

Update: I just found the way to make number 1 by myself - adding a new node with the path to roles, composers. It works!
(2016-03-18, 13:29)accagì Wrote:
(2016-03-18, 13:08)accagì Wrote: I am new in this forum.

I Musici
I Musici [1993]

BUT:

Antonio Vivaldi
I Musici
I Musici [1993]

Update: I just found the way to make number 1 by myself - adding a new node with the path to roles, composers. It works!

Cool! Can you post the node in the example thread so others can benefit?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=257378
I have been adding my classical collection the last few days. Again, thanks a lot to everybody working on this!

There is one thing I cannot seem to figure out. It happens when an albums contains the work of two composers. For example:

Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit / Prokofiev: Piano Sonata no. 6
http://musicbrainz.org/release/9ca5b2e0-...6c383115c3
A regular release with the first 3 tracks being Ravel, and the 4 other tracks by Prokofiev.
Kodi shows that album both under Composer Ravel and Prokofiev. And each time it shows the album as having all 7 tracks. No problem, I can live with that.

But it's not consistent:
Wendy Carlos - Switched-on Box Set
http://musicbrainz.org/release/aa5381e3-...327850c17a
This release has most tracks by composer Bach, but also a few tracks by other composers, like one track by Domenico Scarlatti
The difference is that when I click on Composer Domenico Scarlatti, then I click on the album "Switched-on Box Set", I see only one track.

How would this difference be caused? I have been comparing the tags, but don't see the logic.

I'm running the latest git build (today 19-03-2016) on Arch Linux for testing.
If needed, I can provided more information, screenshots etc...

Thanks.
(2016-03-19, 22:20)pieterv Wrote: There is one thing I cannot seem to figure out. It happens when an albums contains the work of two composers.

How would this difference be caused? I have been comparing the tags, but don't see the logic.

It is about how they are tagged and if the composer is also an album artist, and be aware that Musicbrainz is not entirely consistent how they deal with multiple album composers either. The logic is my initial attempt, so I am happy to discuss and adjust if real world testing reveals flaws. At the moment I am the only dev with a serious interest in classical music, so many things are only going to be revealed by user testing. Also what Kodi does has to work with all kinds of music, even pop songs have composers etc.

It is all down to the artist, album artist and composer tags, and the logic best explained with your example. Assuming you have taken the tags exactly from Musicbrainz.

Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit / Prokofiev: Piano Sonata no. 6
Tracks 1 to 3 have
ARTIST: Maurice Ravel
ALBUM ARTIST: Ravel / Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev / Ivo Pogorelich
COMPOSER: Maurice Ravel

Tracks 4 to 7
ARTIST: Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev
ALBUM ARTIST: Ravel / Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev / Ivo Pogorelich
COMPOSER: Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev

Ravel and Prokofiev are both (along with Pogorelich) album artists for all tracks. They will appear individually in the artists list even when albumartistsonly flag is enabled, when you drill down from one of them you will see all the songs on the album. A composers node will list Ravel and Prokofiev, but what should happen drilling down from there? Currently you see the songs that they composed AND the songs where they are album artist.

Maybe worth noting that since Pogorelich is tagged as Performer (Piano) he will show on a piano node or playlist (if you are interested in pianists and create one).

In comparison:
Wendy Carlos - Switched-on Box Set
All tracks have
ARTIST: Wendy Carlos
ALBUM ARTIST: Wendy Carlos
and then tracks have different COMPOSER tag (or none) but Wendy Carlos is never credited as the composer.

Wendy Carlos appears in the standard artists node while Bach, Scarletti etc. will not unless you have them as artists on other albums. Bach, Scarletti etc. are in the composers node, drill down you see the songs that they composed AND the songs where they are album artist. So on this album, only see the composed songs.

Why do that, and it was a choice on my part? Well I like to play albums, so having selected an album by composer (my usual approach) I want to play all of it not just the tracks by that composer. If I decided to listen to some Prokofiev piano, I would happily listen to the entire recording and have the Ravel too. To support the concept of an "album composer", even though in data it is only the songs that have a composer as data, an album is related to a composer if they are also in the album artist tag of all tracks.

Ideally this would be optional, and the user could choose to see just composed songs not whole album, or switch between them, but not got that far yet!

Hope that at least makes the logic clearer.
Thank you for the clear answer. Now I understand better. I follow your logic that you want to see the whole album, although it contains two composers.

I am testing it now in daily use, and come back with feedback when I encounter something. Smile
(2016-03-20, 16:10)pieterv Wrote: I am testing it now in daily use, and come back with feedback when I encounter something. Smile
That's great, just what it needs.
Maybe there's another discussion that I should read? In addition to being able to navigate my extensive classical collection, I'd like to be able to set up smart playlists that randomly plays works (as opposed to tracks) as background for a dinner or cocktail party lasting several hours.

Any suggestions on getting Kodi to group the several movements of a work as an entry in a smart playlist?
I am running one of the recent Krypton nightlies and wanted to try out new features for classical music. Is any of it already merged or are there separate test builts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2016-05-15, 04:32)steve1977 Wrote: I am running one of the recent Krypton nightlies and wanted to try out new features for classical music. Is any of it already merged or are there separate test builts?

Steve the nightlies include some features, but I have yet more to add when I get time. Currently what is there for classical music is the ability to look at composers, conductors and orchestras separately from artists generally. This may not seem much, but if you have a large classical music collection it is a huge relief. But you need to have your music tagged appropriately to see this.

So you may have "Bach" in the artist/TPE1 or albumartist/TPE2 tags, but also need to add a composer/TCOM tag of "Bach". Similarly for conductor/TPE3. Orchestra is added to mp3 using TMCL tag pair, or to FLAC similarly using PERFORMER tag e.g. "London Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra) or just the name in BAND or ENSEMBLE tags. Picard does this as default.

Once you have appropriately tagged music files scanned into the library then check out the Roles node.
Sounds good and probably all I am looking for. It does not appear to work for me yet (only a handful of non-classical composers show up). I have properly tagged files using Picard. I have over-written the albumartist tag for classical music, but the artist tag is taken directly from MBZ. Also, I may have composer and conductor tags (if that's done per default by Picard). Let me see whether this is a tag issue or a Kodi issue.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2016-05-15, 09:33)steve1977 Wrote: Sounds good and probably all I am looking for. It does not appear to work for me yet (only a handful of non-classical composers show up). I have properly tagged files using Picard. I have over-written the albumartist tag for classical music, but the artist tag is taken directly from MBZ. Also, I may have composer and conductor tags (if that's done per default by Picard). Let me see whether this is a tag issue or a Kodi issue.

Musicbrainz isnt very good with composers yet, have a look to see if the album actually has a composer set on musicbrainz. I suspect not which is why you wont see it in picard.

Of course, anyone can add data to musicbrainz, so anything you can add will benefit others Wink
Thanks. I don't suspect this to be the issue. I have more than 100 classical albums and the only 5 composers showing up are from non-classical albums (Green Day, Eric Clapton, U2, ...).

I suspect that this must be related to me manually over-writing the albumartist tag for classical albums?
Let me share an example, please see below. This has been tagged using Picard, but I have overwritten the albumartist tag with "Classical Music". I will eventually revert this once Picard fixes the bug wiping my albumart, but this may still be some weeks away. Also, is this even the issue for Kodi not showing the composer? How would Kodi even know from the albumartist tag that Chopin is the composer?

http://musicbrainz.org/release/24ddb53f-...542926ace3
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3