[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
Just joined the forum to thank DaveBlake for all his hard work on this, and to add another voice to those hopeful for improved classical music metadata support.

I've only just found this thread, so will test out your build over the weekend.

I'm delighted that you can browse by composer and ensemble. You also mentioned a Work tag which I would love to have too!

I think you've implemented this as browsing nodes, which is a great start. Is there any intention of providing track-listing views for classical music?

What I mean is, when you open up an album, instead of showing what I see currently, which is:

1. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Liturgie de crystal
2. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps
3. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Abime des oiseaux
etc

We could have this as the title at the top of the screen:

----
Shostakovitch and Messiaen [ie the album title]
Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins [ie. the album artist]
----

And then in the track listing:

----
Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps [ie the composer and the work]
  1. Liturgie de crystal
  2. Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps
  3. Abime des oiseaux
  4. etc ..
-----

Does that make sense? The first example is extremely inefficient on screen space, and the actual track names are hidden way over on the right hand end. The improved version is how it appears on most of the actual CD covers where the graphic designer has been able to lay out the information optimally.

If this classical metadata support was too much work to get it incorporated into the mainstream builds then I for one would be happy to have it as an add-on.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Messages In This Thread
Improved Classical Music Browsing - by zag - 2015-09-17, 13:40
RE: Improved Classical Music Browsing - by somechap - 2015-11-20, 12:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3