• 4(current)
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
(2015-11-03, 14:23)zag Wrote: The latest nightlies should have that change since it was merged I believe a few weeks ago.

It hasn't been merged
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8015
(2015-11-03, 16:34)Razze Wrote:
(2015-11-03, 14:23)zag Wrote: The latest nightlies should have that change since it was merged I believe a few weeks ago.

It hasn't been merged
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8015

So... back to my original question...

This is what prompted it

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2110661

"And if you need it for a different OS, one of the dev team might be able to do a build if we ask"

I would love to test a Raspberry Pi version, if one could be made available.

B.
Yes not been merged yet, patience Wink

EDIT: The automated test build has been removed as its over a month old so you will need to wait until is merged now.
Could I ask that you announce it on this thread when it is available to try? As I'm subscribed to this thread, I will then get notified.

Many thanks!

Brian
(2015-11-03, 17:23)bwims Wrote: Could I ask that you announce it on this thread when it is available to try? As I'm subscribed to this thread, I will then get notified.

You can subscribe to the pull request to see when it's merged.
That PR has been brewing away I'm afarid, but I will get there eventually. I will be back on this thread when there is a new test build, or if things get merged. I need to make some adjustments, it can be tricky to keep up with the other changes at the same time.
(2015-11-04, 20:58)DaveBlake Wrote: That PR has been brewing away I'm afarid, but I will get there eventually. I will be back on this thread when there is a new test build, or if things get merged. I need to make some adjustments, it can be tricky to keep up with the other changes at the same time.

Thanks a lot DaveBlake for your work. I'm following this here so I can help testing as soon as possible.
Same here. Big thanks and always happy to help testing. Would be great if this can still be included for Jarvis release.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2015-11-13, 16:09)steve1977 Wrote: Same here. Big thanks and always happy to help testing. Would be great if this can still be included for Jarvis release.

Sorry but going to be K****, Jarvis Beta is imminent so not going to get in. That's OK, time flies when you are having fun developing, and it will be worth the wait Smile

I appreciate the interest and the offers for testing too. Now I've joined the dark side (dev team) I can make test builds availlable (I think), so you can try some things out while I am still tinkering. I will post here any news.
Just joined the forum to thank DaveBlake for all his hard work on this, and to add another voice to those hopeful for improved classical music metadata support.

I've only just found this thread, so will test out your build over the weekend.

I'm delighted that you can browse by composer and ensemble. You also mentioned a Work tag which I would love to have too!

I think you've implemented this as browsing nodes, which is a great start. Is there any intention of providing track-listing views for classical music?

What I mean is, when you open up an album, instead of showing what I see currently, which is:

1. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Liturgie de crystal
2. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps
3. Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins - Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps: Abime des oiseaux
etc

We could have this as the title at the top of the screen:

----
Shostakovitch and Messiaen [ie the album title]
Joshua Bell, Stephen Isserlis, Olli Mustonen, Collins [ie. the album artist]
----

And then in the track listing:

----
Olivier Messiaen - Quator pour la fin du temps [ie the composer and the work]
  1. Liturgie de crystal
  2. Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps
  3. Abime des oiseaux
  4. etc ..
-----

Does that make sense? The first example is extremely inefficient on screen space, and the actual track names are hidden way over on the right hand end. The improved version is how it appears on most of the actual CD covers where the graphic designer has been able to lay out the information optimally.

If this classical metadata support was too much work to get it incorporated into the mainstream builds then I for one would be happy to have it as an add-on.

Grateful for any thoughts.
I think the idea is to have it on the track info popup dialogue, possibly with a scrollbar so we can see all the extra tags.
@somechap, thanks for your interest, always good to hear from music users. I'm afraid that there isn't a test build currently available, the old one got out of date, but I will let people know when there is another. Tag "work" won't be available immediately, but I am certainly intending Kodi to support that too.

Custom nodes is the quick and easy way to make composer etc. available to those that want it (mindful that there are those that won't). The kind of listing you mention, and yes it would be nice, will require skin support. The first step will be to ensure core makes the data available (that is something I am working on) and then hope a friendly skinner will create something for us. I doubt that it will ever be in the default skin, because there is a desire to keep that simple, but that is not a worry.

But I am moving in varied directions, so Zag is right, I also want an extended song information dialog that shows all the tag data. My part will be to expose the data, and then let the skin experts do their thing. All we need is a skinner that likes listening to classical music and we will be flying.
From previous experience with these things, skinners are very receptive to new features and tags so it won't be a problem I imagine
Thanks all for your kind responses, DaveBlake in particular of course. Good point about the layout being a skinning matter. I wonder which skins' creators might be most receptive?

I once implemented my track listing approach in foobar2000 many years ago and am a very amateurish coder of sorts, so might be able to help out here and there (though 2 small kids and full time job tend to fill up time!).

This all makes me very optimistic, and I'll keep in touch with developments.
DaveBlake, thanks for all the hard work. Really looking forward to it. When do you think the next test build will be available?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3