• 5(current)
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
I am hoping sometime in the next week, but life and other Kodi bugs keep getting in the way. If only I didn't have a day job! Meanwhile my knowledge of Kodi is growing, and my design improving because of it.
GoodDay,

Is Kodi able to read custom mp3 tags yet?

ie: Foobar2000

Artist Name:
Track Title:
Album Title:
Date:
Genre:
Composer:
Performer:
Album Artist:
Track Number
Total Tracks:
Disc Number:
Total Disks:
Comment:

By default Kodi can Read and display the above list of tags in a mp3 file, but i also added my own custom tags to my mp3 files and would like kodi to be able to read and display them as well.
And maybe a setting to enable or disable each node.

Custom Tags in MP3 File:

Producer:
Publisher:
Label:
DJ:
(2015-12-09, 03:42)KiddK0di Wrote: Is Kodi able to read custom mp3 tags yet?
And maybe a setting to enable or disable each node.

Custom Tags in MP3 File:

Producer:
Publisher:
Label:
DJ:

Sorry not in Jarvis, but K*** will be able to process those tags. They are standard ID3v2 tags, so I don't think of them as "custom", and I am working to add all the standard tags (avialable from TagLib) to Kodi

When I have a build to test I will mention it here, so if you would like to help with that please subscribe to this thread.
Slightly off-topic even though music related. I have to admit that I took a look at what "the other software" aka Plex does in the music section and I have to say I'm impressed. I don't know if it works as promised but

using Gracenote to identify tracks
fully integrating music videos (and even Vevo online videos) into the music library
creating playlists by similarity (probably like this addon does http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2108642 but fully integrated)
fixing misidentified artists inside Plex

sounds really sweet.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/article...-Libraries

As I understand it the code is becoming more and more different from Kodi (and closed source) but might still be worth checking out.
Gracenote is a paid service
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-12-11, 01:12)DarkHelmet Wrote: Slightly off-topic even though music related. I have to admit that I took a look at what "the other software" aka Plex does ...

using Gracenote to identify tracks
fully integrating music videos (and even Vevo online videos) into the music library
creating playlists by similarity (probably like this addon does http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2108642 but fully integrated)
fixing misidentified artists inside Plex

sounds really sweet.

As I understand it the code is becoming more and more different from Kodi (and closed source) but might still be worth checking out.

Always interesting to keep an eye on other music player offerings, but not necessarily to follow.

Kodi has Musicbainz integration rather than pay for Gracenote (there is also some ethical history there too).
Yes we need to work on music videos, that is known.
There are some useful playlist improvements to be made too.

I know it my seem that feature requests just sit on a list forever, OK many do, but I do have hopes that these will get some attention. It is all a matter of enough hours in the day!

Fixing mis-identified artists is the one nearest to my current area of contributions. Whether I understand it or not I have to accept that (some) users find consistently tagging their music files difficult. On the one hand that is not Kodi's problem, Kodi is not a tagging tool there is plenty of other software for that. But on the other it is an issue, because when poorly tagged music makes a mess of the library users see that as Kodi. So, I think we need to take some more steps to help users with their tagging.

a) Better wiki guides (Zag has started that). User education could help a lot.

b) Some kind of tag consistency report. We currently bury scan errors in the debug log and wait for the user to spot funny things in the library. It would be possible to have a music library or music source files log, that just listed what tags have been scanned, great for spotting what tagging mistakes have been made. Would that have to be an addon (anyone like to do the Python), or can we do that as core?

c) Reject (don't try adding to library) music files where the number of musicbrainz ids doesn't match the number of artists. Kodi now processes the ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tag (thanks to Evilhamster) that fixes a bug in this area, but we still need users to use those tags correctly. I am beginning to think it would be better if Kodi simply skipped the messed up files rather than end up with duplicate artists with wrong IDs in the library.

Fixing messed up tags (without user input) is a tricky thing, just which bit is wrong. No idea what Plex does, but clearly telling the user which files they need to look, rather than just guessing, at has got to be a good start.

Enough work for a lifetime!
(2015-12-11, 08:46)DaveBlake Wrote: b) Some kind of tag consistency report. We currently bury scan errors in the debug log and wait for the user to spot funny things in the library. It would be possible to have a music library or music source files log, that just listed what tags have been scanned, great for spotting what tagging mistakes have been made. Would that have to be an addon (anyone like to do the Python), or can we do that as core?

I would think adding them to the kodi event log would make the most sense.

See this implementation for reference:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8374
(2015-12-11, 08:46)DaveBlake Wrote: a) Better wiki guides (Zag has started that). User education could help a lot.

This is actually probably the best thing we can do as an immediate fix. I don't think its documented anywhere how music should actually be tagged and what Kodi actually reads. This will also help other developers get on board on the music side of things.

Another idea is to have the a tagging template on TheAudioDB.com for each track. This would allow users to look at the site to know how they should tag a file. This could be auto generated by the site and even automated with some tagging app in the future.

(2015-12-11, 08:46)DaveBlake Wrote: c) Reject (don't try adding to library) music files where the number of musicbrainz ids doesn't match the number of artists. Kodi now processes the ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tag (thanks to Evilhamster) that fixes a bug in this area, but we still need users to use those tags correctly. I am beginning to think it would be better if Kodi simply skipped the messed up files rather than end up with duplicate artists with wrong IDs in the library.

This sounds to me like an excellent idea as a first step to sorting out the tagging mess. Obviously logging it somewhere is essential, but if people actually know their music is mistagged then maybe it can take away a lot of the frustration. Putting the onus on people fixing their tags before music shows up in Kodi, rather than having a messy library where they simply give up would be a huge improvement.

(2015-12-11, 08:46)DaveBlake Wrote: Enough work for a lifetime!
The best idea is to keep things simple. Support a specific tagging software or method. Ignore advanced users at first and get the basics working well.
Thanks for your thoughts Zag & Razze on my (simple) steps to help users with their tagging.

a) I'm putting together a technical over view of tags and how we process them, for myself as much as anyone. If someone (like you Zag) would like to convert this into something for users that would be great.

b) Kodi has an event log?! Who knew Smile
What else goes in it? When scanning a big collection it could end up with a lot of lines, any interaction issues with other processes? Not sure all tag scanning needs to be logged every time, I would just like the ability to analyse the quality of tagging in the files a user is trying to add to the library.

c) One concern about rejecting poorly tagged files is how do we notify the user. Listing rejected files in a log (own, debug or event) possibly mixed in with other things, the average user is not going to notice or know why their music is missing from the library. But I'm not sure about on screen message either....

Both beginners and advanced users could benefit from clearer reporting of tagging issues.
I'd say its enough to log it in an obvious message in debug log

Code:
Scanner: SKIPPED TRACK 01-artist-track.mp3 - bad tagging, multiple artists found with no multiple musicbrainz id. Visit wiki.kodi.tv/blahblah for details.
(2015-12-11, 16:40)DaveBlake Wrote: b) Kodi has an event log?! Who knew Smile
What else goes in it? When scanning a big collection it could end up with a lot of lines, any interaction issues with other processes? Not sure all tag scanning needs to be logged every time, I would just like the ability to analyse the quality of tagging in the files a user is trying to add to the library.

Well it's quiet new and we're trying to just do it for relevant infos.
But one thing that's already in there are videos, which can't get scraped/mismatched.
So doing the same for music should be okay.
(2015-12-11, 14:38)zag Wrote:
(2015-12-11, 08:46)DaveBlake Wrote: a) Better wiki guides (Zag has started that). User education could help a lot.

This is actually probably the best thing we can do as an immediate fix. I don't think its documented anywhere how music should actually be tagged and what Kodi actually reads. This will also help other developers get on board on the music side of things.

Just for starters I have documented the tags processed by Kodi in 16.0, and what I am hoping to add to Kodi 17.0., but not sure where to put it. Somewhere where it can be found, and kept up to date too.
Happy New Year music users!
Life did get in the way a bit, so much later than I hoped a test build of my music browsing improvement work is now available.

Those of you that offered to do some testing I hope that you will be able to give this a go, but do remember that it is work in progress not a finished article. Keep the test version separate from your main installation!

It adds processing for the following tags:
COMPOSER (TCOM)
CONDUCTOR (TPE3)
LYRICIST (TEXT)
REMIXER (TPE4)
ENSEMBLE / BAND / ORCHESTRA (TXXX:Ensemble)
ARRANGER,
ENGINEER,
PRODUCER,
DJMIXER,
MIXER
PERFORMER=artist (instrument) (TIPL and TMCL)

These people (or groups of people) that contribute in some way to the recording as musicians or in some other way involved, are added to the music library as artists with a role. They can be listed separately from general artists (those scanned from the albumartist and artist tags) using custom nodes which can be adjusted . They will not be displayed on the original artist lists, so those not interested in this extra data will be uneffected.

If you have been tagging your music files using Picard (with "use release relationships" and "use track relationships" enabled) then there is a lot of data that Kodi has been missing, the artist list after processing TMCL gave me a surprize. The desire to list lyicists, DJMixers or composers etc. may not be mainstream, but it provides another way to select your music.

The info labels exist for skins to display this info too, I have not updated Confuence but those with the knowledge can have a play. I'm hoping one of the skinners might create a rough test variant of DialogSongInfo.xml for us. It can also be accessed via JSON (but the interface additions are unofficial at the moment so could change before release)

Test build is here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...People.exe

You will also want to download the following custom node files https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jhkz3chn2vf25...s.zip?dl=0 . If you have not used custom nodes before then copy the system/library/music folder and contents to userdata/library/music and then unzip these xml files into a roles folder there aswell.

Enjoy, and let me know how you get on.
Welcome back and happy new year to you!!!

Let me give it a try over the weeekend and feedback.

A few questions for you:

1) I was eagerly waiting for the "classical music" support you had been planning to add to Kodi. I believe this is different from above. Has this already been done and there is a separate test built or something that you are planning for the future?

2) I am not clear about your comment about "use release relationships" and TMCL. What is it and what are the implications?

3) Would the plan be to have these custom nodes eventually become part of core Kodi if this finds a large enough group of supporters?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2016-01-06, 18:32)steve1977 Wrote: 1) I was eagerly waiting for the "classical music" support you had been planning to add to Kodi. I believe this is different from above. Has this already been done and there is a separate test built or something that you are planning for the future?
This provides the first phase of improved "classical music" support, but does a bit more than that as well. So what you do with composers and conductors, you can also do with lyricists or DJ Mixers etc. I saw that I could help a broader range of users with a more generic addition, I hope it is worth the wait.

I am also planning to add sort name (I so hate first name order), alias name support and something that recoginses musical works, if I don't get side tracked by the long list of other miscal improvements people want.... But this needs to be merged first, and before that it needs testing. Smile

Quote:2) I am not clear about your comment about "use release relationships" and TMCL. What is it and what are the implications?

It is one of the settings in Picard, it effects what data gets collected from the musicbrainz database. In testing I just used the default settings, and users don't have to tag with Picard. But obviously if you haven't populated any of the tags that this change now uses you aren't going to see any benefits!

Quote:3) Would the plan be to have these custom nodes eventually become part of core Kodi if this finds a large enough group of supporters?

Probably not, but it is no big deal. I guess they could find their way into the example node library, but the beauty is that you can configure the nodes to suite your use. For example say I have no interest in DJ Mixers, so I would not have that node cluttering up my screen. I would probably want to split composers by genre, and I would have a node for each of those.

I admit I am kind of throwing a new thing at you all without much detailed explanation. What I have done is quite flexible, which means it can be hard to explain to begin with, but it is able to do lots of different things. Best is to install and scan some music (with at least some of the above tags) into the library and see what you make of it. I will use the feedback to help write some user tips etc.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3