• 11(current)
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
Steve, yes albumartist is having an effect on what you see. Kodi knows that Chopin is a composer from the TCOM tag, but Kodi is not showing you that because of your settings.

By default the various roles nodes follow the badly named "Include artists who appear only on compilations" system setting (that from now on I am going to talk about as the inverse albumartistonly flag). I expect you have albumartistsonly=true. In that configuration the only composers shown are those that are also album artists. If you had the the composer of every song (pop or classical) tagged then having this as default behaviour would make more sense to you.

But you can also configure this locally, and filter by genre, to see say all classical composers including those that are not album artists without filling the normal artist list with all the song artists.

So to see more composers you can do one of two things
a) Enable the "Include artists who appear only on compilations" setting - quick but will effect the artists node too.
or
b) override that setting locally by creating a custom node - slightly mode involved but a good skill to again

There is a a how-to thread here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=257378 where this kind of node is mentioned. I think the node editor now works, but manually the xml you want is

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="1" type="folder">
<label>All Composers</label>
<icon>DefaultMusicArtists.png</icon>
<path>musicdb://artists/?role=Composer&albumartistsonly=false</path>
</node>

That may be all you want. On the other hand Kodi will also make use of instrumentalists etc. when tagged. So for classical music if you tag who did the horn solo, or the painist in a piano concerto etc. (Picard supports that) then Kodi can display it on the song information dialog, or you can create a "painist" node or playlist to see all the painists, or you can see all the varied artist roles much like genres. It is extremely powerful browsing tool if you have a large library, but also fully configurable. The difficulty is presenting it to users in a disgestable way!
Interesting! I hadnt thought of that Smile

Will give it a try on my setup too.
Cool, thanks, this is great! This indeed explains. I am planning to retag my whole collection and by then will no longer change the albumartist tag to classical music. So, this should solve the issue. Unfortunately, Picard appears to be somewhat broken these days (https://community.metabrainz.org/t/rate-...nged/14253) and also I am waiting for a fix to wiping of albumart (https://community.metabrainz.org/t/re-ta...t/39895/10).

A few more related questions to the new classical music implementation (which is really great!!!):

* As I mentioned, I have 5 composers showing up that are not classical albums. For example, this Pink Floyd release: http://musicbrainz.org/release/be3a9a43-...61722dc023, which lists Roger Waters as composer. Interesting enough, Roger Waters is not listed as part of the albumartist tag, but assume this is due to all tracks having the same composer, so it is treated as an albumartist?

* I notice that this tag has the same wanted behavior / issue for me. One of the five composers right now is "Eric Clapton". When I click on "composer", around 50 albums show up. Only one of them has "Eric Clapton" as composer. All others are compilation with one single song from Eric Clapton and also obviously all Eric Clapton albums I have in my library. This is also wanted behavior?

* How is it supposed to work for a composer who is an album composer, but not all tracks are from this composer? I would hope that it still shows the full albums (incl. the tracks from other composer) and believe this is how it is done?

Thanks again for the great music development. When you have a moment, can you also check out http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=274281. Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
To fix picard change the server to the mirror

Thanks for the Picard server tip Zag, it has been getting almost impossible to get replaies.

(2016-05-15, 13:01)steve1977 Wrote: * As I mentioned, I have 5 composers showing up that are not classical albums. For example, this Pink Floyd release: http://musicbrainz.org/release/be3a9a43-...61722dc023, which lists Roger Waters as composer. Interesting enough, Roger Waters is not listed as part of the albumartist tag, but assume this is due to all tracks having the same composer, so it is treated as an albumartist?
You probably have an album by Roger Waters, so he is an album artist even if not of the album where he is tagged as composer.

Quote:* I notice that this tag has the same wanted behavior / issue for me. One of the five composers right now is "Eric Clapton". When I click on "composer", around 50 albums show up. Only one of them has "Eric Clapton" as composer. All others are compilation with one single song from Eric Clapton and also obviously all Eric Clapton albums I have in my library. This is also wanted behavior?
It is behaviour consistent with how the genre, artist and album nodes work. We have discussed elsewhere how an alternative option is desirable. The hard part is how to present this option in a convenient and clear way to users, but it is on my work list.

Quote:* How is it supposed to work for a composer who is an album composer, but not all tracks are from this composer? I would hope that it still shows the full albums (incl. the tracks from other composer) and believe this is how it is done?
Yes, although some people will want it the other way.

The first big step is getting the data into Kodi, how we then best use it for browsing is something that can grow and change. My aim is to give users the choice, but not to bamboozle those that just want a simple library and player by default. We proceed slowly step at a time.
Thanks, this is helpful. So, let me see whether I fully understand it:

1) An artist/albumartist is considered a "composer" by Kodi if at least one track in the music library lists this artist/albumartist as a "composer

2) If an albumartist/artist is identified as "composer" by at least one track, it will list the artist as "composer" in the list of composers in Kodi

3) When clicking the composer in the composer, it will then list all album with albumartist being the composer (all tracks being displayed) as well as all albums where the composer is listed as composer for at least one track (when clicking the album, only the tracks with the composer are listed). Tracks where the composer is artist (but not composer for the track and not albumartist) are not listed

Is my understanding correct?

@DaveBlake and @zag, does it make sense to move this thread to the music forum as well? Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2016-05-21, 15:33)steve1977 Wrote: @DaveBlake and @zag, does it make sense to move this thread to the music forum as well? Thanks!

It has become a bit of a monster. Wink

From post #30 onwards it is about what is implemented rather than request, so could best be split with the latter moving to Music Support. @zag could you do that?
Thread split an moved to music section.

DaveBlake, you are a mod now too hopefully Wink
Thanks for splitting and moving. Any thoughts about my questions?
To get back to your useful questions Steve
(2016-05-21, 15:33)steve1977 Wrote: 1) An artist/albumartist is considered a "composer" by Kodi if at least one track in the music library lists this artist/albumartist as a "composer
Yes. It will also create artist entries for those composers (tagged in one or more tracks) that are not album or song artists, but you only se them when you create a custom node that does that (the default artist node never shows them).

Quote:2) If an albumartist/artist is identified as "composer" by at least one track, it will list the artist as "composer" in the list of composers in Kodi
Yes. You can also adjust that node to show only composers that are album artists, or always all, or do what your global setting says. It uses the albumartistonly flag which by default is the inverse of the badly named "Include artists who only appear on compilations" setting, but can also be set locally for that node.

Quote:3) When clicking the composer in the composer, it will then list all album with albumartist being the composer (all tracks being displayed) as well as all albums where the composer is listed as composer for at least one track (when clicking the album, only the tracks with the composer are listed). Tracks where the composer is artist (but not composer for the track and not albumartist) are not listed

No, not quite..... It is an area where I debated quite what behaviour was best, in the end I went with something that made sense to me at the time, but always willing to review that. At the moment, unlike the composer node above, it does not depend on the albumartist flag and maybe it should?

So when you click on a composer you get those albums where they are an albumartist, and those albums that have songs where they are the composer.

Click on one of those albums and if they were and albumartist you see all the songs, otherwise you see only those songs on that album where they were a composer.

For those with some database knowledge that are interested the where clauses are like this:

Albums
Code:
WHERE (EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM song JOIN song_artist ON song.idSong = song_artist.idSong WHERE song.idAlbum = albumview.idAlbum AND song_artist.idArtist = 288  AND song_artist.idRole = 2 ) OR
EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM album_artist WHERE album_artist.idAlbum = albumview.idAlbum AND album_artist.idArtist = 288))

Songs
Code:
WHERE (songview.idAlbum = 307) AND (songview.idSong IN (SELECT song_artist.idSong FROM song_artist WHERE song_artist.idArtist = 288  AND song_artist.idRole = 2 ) OR songview.idSong IN (SELECT song.idSong FROM song JOIN album_artist ON song.idAlbum=album_artist.idAlbum WHERE album_artist.idArtist = 288))
Thanks, this is clear and like how it is adapted. Pretty much what I need and anticipated you were trying to accomplish. Well done!

Just two questions:

1) How is your (3) different from what I was trying to say with my question?

2) Only issue for me is that some artists like "Eric Clapton" now show under the composer list (with dozen of albums) and even Green Day. This is somewhat confusing as my intent is to have a solution for classical music, but probably still correct and not a lot can be done (or should be done) about it.

So, the next step (for me) will be to create a custom node "Classic musical" with composer view showing up and a separate node "Music" with artist view showing up (excluding classical music). Somehow need to fix this over genre tags and custom nodes. This should also solve my "Eric Clapton issue" as it would exclude albums that are non-classical in the composer view. I remember there was some thread about custom nodes, so let me give this is a try and try to contribute back. The only thing I don't like about this solution is that custom nodes cannot be added to main KODI menu (or at least not in a way that they don't get wiped by the next skin update). At least, it should be a nice way though for UPNP (which is one of the main functions I am planning to use Kodi for once music is fully implemented.

Thanks again for all your efforts in the development!!!
Steve you are right, on re-reading your 3) and mine are the same, just said in a different way. It is Sunday afterall Smile

As for pop music composers, and Picard does tag some if not all songs that way, cluttering up your list of classical music composers, the solution is custom nodes.... Have a try and then ask for help if you need it.

When I started implementing composer I really only had classical music in mind, but soon found there was more data available (composers for pop songs, and more than one composer too etc.) and the feature grew into artist roles. Lots can be done with this, and it is difficult to know what to offer as standard without cluttering things for the average user. I aslo don't know what the average user of Kodi music library is, I figure we are all "special" in our own way.

Custom nodes on the main menu is something beyond my range of expertise, but I know it gets discussed by the skinners from time to time.. UPNP is also a mystery. My initial efforts are all about getting more into the library, I then need help from others to get it out again and make it user friendly.

Just for fun you can also create a show all roles node, a bit like the genres node, see all the different roles that Picard has quietly tagged your music with e.g. lyricists, solo instruments, engineer etc. Not saying you are interested in any of these, but perhaps interseting to look just once. Create a node with
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<node order="1" type="filter" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
  <label>All Roles</label>
  <icon>DefaultMusicRoles.png</icon>
  <content>artists</content>
  <group>roles</group>
</node>
This is sort of a Heads-Up:

I am working on skinning for roles, and found my personal library was screwed up for "Orchestra". I believe what happened is that MP3Tag prior to ver 2.4.7 seems to have been using "BAND" internally. From 2.4.7 the program uses ALBUMARTIST instead. The upshot is I have a lot of music that I used MP3Tag to create APE tags from the existing ID3v2 tags. I think in the course of doing that, MP3Tag created BAND tags in APE. So all these are now showing up as "Orchestras". IDK if other software is writing BAND tags, but you might look out for it.

scott s.
So prior to v2.4.7 Mp3tag converted TPE2 in ID3v2 to BAND in APE? Thanks for the heads up, unexpected orchestras we know where to look.

AKAIK some earlier software did use BAND in Vorbis for orchestra, but it was my assumption that was also true for APE. The ID3 spec does say that TPE2 is the band or orchestra (so Mp3tag was not wrong to do that), but TPE2 use as album artist became the practical standard disregarding the documentation.

I guess anyone with APE BAND tags containing something other than orchestras, is in the similar situation to those with ID3v2 TPE2 tags containing orchestra (rather than album artist).
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3