Bitstream, passthrough, decode - so what's the diff?
(2016-05-25, 23:01)Draghmar Wrote: No...at least not until there will be full codec support in Intel CPUs and from what I've seen there isn't at the moment. We're waiting for Apollo Lake from what I remember. But thanks for suggestion. Smile
So are you introducing another requirement now? This thread is about audio. If you want full passthrough audio then x86 is your answer. If you want to add other requirements the answer may be different.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry to thread jack, but I have DTS rips that work fine on a FireTV (enabling passthrough) through my lifestyle sound system, but my recent AAC 5.1 rips don't work. What would I need to make AAC 5.1 work?
You can't pass through aac
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
nickr is in his normal non constructive Mood, the fish must have been a bit off for lunch again !!! Wink

@cv15xbmc,
Try selecting AC3 Transcode in Audio settings and report back ......

(2016-05-26, 01:30)nickr Wrote: So are you introducing another requirement now? This thread is about audio. If you want full passthrough audio then x86 is your answer. If you want to add other requirements the answer may be different.
If you really want to be so precise then this thread is about differences between three ways of delivering audio and not exactly about choosing the right box. Tongue But you're right - I shouldn't add something beyond main topic.
(2016-05-26, 10:43)cv15xbmc Wrote: Sorry to thread jack, but I have DTS rips that work fine on a FireTV (enabling passthrough) through my lifestyle sound system, but my recent AAC 5.1 rips don't work. What would I need to make AAC 5.1 work?

You either need to decode to multichannel PCM or transcode to Dolby Digital to output to transcode the 5.1 AAC to 5.1 Dolby Digital/AC3 (AC3 is another name for Dolby Digital).

The former is a cleaner process than the latter as you add another lossy codec to the chain. However not all platforms support 5.1 PCM output so in those situations you have a choice between 5.1 downmixed to 2.0 PCM or transcoded to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

This is an issue in the UK where our Freeview HD OTA terrestrial TV system uses AAC not AC3 for audio and where 5.1 shows are therefore broadcast in 5.1 AAC (Our Sky and Freesat HD satellite services are AC3 though)
(2016-05-26, 10:43)cv15xbmc Wrote: Sorry to thread jack, but I have DTS rips that work fine on a FireTV (enabling passthrough) through my lifestyle sound system, but my recent AAC 5.1 rips don't work. What would I need to make AAC 5.1 work?

No Audio Receiver on the planet accepts AAC 5.1 as passthrough. Check your specs. It 'might' accept some form of AAC via USB or AirPlay but that is all.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-05-26, 15:33)MrMC Wrote:

No Audio Receiver on the planet accepts AAC 5.1 as passthrough. Check your specs. It 'might' accept some form of AAC via USB or AirPlay but that is all.

Not yet - but HE-AAC has been added to HDMI 2.0 - so receivers may support it at some point.

Quote:Other features of HDMI 2.0 include the options of the Rec. 2020 color space, Dual View, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, 25 fps 3D formats, up to 32 channels of audio, up to 1536 kHz audio (for example 7.1 channels of 192 kHz), up to 4 audio streams, 21:9 aspect ratio, the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, dynamic auto lip-sync, improved 3D capability, and additional CEC functions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitstream, passthrough, decode - so what's the diff?0