Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering
I'm familiar with creating moviesets, however I've run across a problem getting the preferred order I want for the Marvel Cinematic Universe set I'm creating. Briefly I want to set as follows
1 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
2 Iron Man (2008)
3 Iron Man 2 (2010)
4 Thor (2011)
5 The Incredible Hulk (2008)
6 Avengers Assemble (2012)
7 Iron Man 3 (2013)
8 Thor 2: The Dark World (2013)
9 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
10 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
11 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
12 Ant-Man (2015)
13 Captain America: Civil War (2016) Not yet set
14 Dr. Strange (2016) Not yet set

All movies were scraped and put into the correct set with EMM. I've then manually added an additional field <sorttitle></sorttitle> under the <set>Marvel Cinemativ Universe</set> tag in the nfo file with the movies numbered the way I want them. I've refreshed all the movies in Kodi and they are all in the correct set but will not display in the correct order. They are mostly correct but for some reason Guardians of the Galaxy <sorttitle>10</sorttitle> is displaying after Avengers: Age of Ultron <sorttitle>11</sorttitle> and Ant-Man <sorttitle>12</sorttitle>

I thought that maybe the <sorttitle></sorttitle> tag with a 0 in it might be a problem so I skipped 10 and renumbered to 11, 12 and 13 respectively for these three movies but Guardians of the Galaxy stays obstinately at the bottom of the list.

Anybody got any ideas on this?
Instead of EMM, use MediaElch. It's super easy to create Moviesets, and name them, and order them however you like.

I have something similar, setup using MediaElch, my set is named Marvel's Superheroes. Then under Sort, I just put Marvel's Superheroes 01 (for Iron Man in my case), and end with Marvel's Superheroes 12 (Ant-Man). Of course, since you can name them, you can sort them however you like.

Oh, and another cool feature of MediaElch, you can also create your own Genre's. So for the above, I created a Superheroes Genre. So I can search under Genre's and bring up all the Superheroes movies (both Marvel and DC). I've also created Genre's for Martial Arts, Anime, and Cartoons.
(2016-05-25, 19:40)Powerhouse Wrote: Instead of EMM, use MediaElch. It's super easy to create Moviesets, and name them, and order them however you like.

I have something similar, setup using MediaElch, my set is named Marvel's Superheroes. Then under Sort, I just put Marvel's Superheroes 01 (for Iron Man in my case), and end with Marvel's Superheroes 12 (Ant-Man). Of course, since you can name them, you can sort them however you like.

Oh, and another cool feature of MediaElch, you can also create your own Genre's. So for the above, I created a Superheroes Genre. So I can search under Genre's and bring up all the Superheroes movies (both Marvel and DC). I've also created Genre's for Martial Arts, Anime, and Cartoons.

I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip
Just to update on this, I was running an old version of Kodi, I've now upgraded to the latest stable version Jarvis 16.1 and the problem has resolved itself. And all my library settings still work as before which is always a bonus.
I am trying to figure out how to get the proper MCU (and other lists) sorted properly. I've not used movie sets but have flagged all MCU movies with a custom tag that will pull them together via a smart playlist but will not order them properly. The closest I can do is by year but when multiple movies have the same release year it then sorts movies with the same year alphabetically. This means the 'Captain America: The First avenger' is listed BEFORE "Thor" even though it should be listed after, by release and proper MCU order.

Is there a sub-sorting method within the <set> </set> field that the wiki doesn't explain well? I do not mean the movie's sorttitle as that will affect where these movies sort to in the main library and for that I want all Iron Man movies under I and all Thor movies under T, etc. 

I tried to create my own <mcu>###</mcu> field in the .nfo hoping I could pull the numerical value for sequencing the way <top250> works but that did not seem to do anything proper.

Is there another method of sorting that still eludes me here?

Cheers!

Just wanted to add that in 2011 2 films get out of order - Captain America: The First Avenger ends up before Thor. In 2015 Ant-Man ends up before Avengers: Age of Ultron. This year 3 films will be out of order - Ant-Man and The Wasp will be before Avengers: Infinity War and both will be before Black Panther. That's really starting to get the MCU out of order without another sorting solution that is not dependent on sorttitle.
The only method I can think of at this moment is to crate a separate Source for your Marvel movies, and link them to a Custom Home Item. Then use <sorttitle></sorttitle> to order them correctly.

You will also need to modify the main movie listing to exclude the Marvel movies.

There is no way to use <sorttitle></sorttitle> but keep the correct alphabetical sort within the main movie listing.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Is there not a way for Kodi to be able to read additional info from the database or movie .nfo? Like in my example I created a new piece of info designed to mimic the top250 info. If there was a way to add and have Kodi recognize something like this that would solve the issue. Maybe related to movie sets for those who use sets. Like a sortorder within the set tags that's simply a number like the top250 is a number. 

Kodi seems quite capable of doing many awesome things. Being able to create a sorting order for MCU films (and DCEU, James Bond, etc) should be within it's means and make it just that much better!
Simply entering <mcu></mcu> does not mean it will work. Kodi core needs coding update to recognise the new tag.

Sure, I agree it would be great to add sort levels for exactly those scenarios you mention, but that is further coding complexity, and no developer has shown interest in adding it. IIRC there is a Feature Request for it from quite a while ago. Maybe add your comment to it to bring the thread to the top again.

Here is the link to the wiki page for databases. You can see there is no provision for sub-sorting, so that will need to be added... https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases/MyVideos

Apart from my previous suggestion, I can think of no workaround for your requirement.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I didn't think my mcu field would work but figured why not give it a shot. Can't hurt any.

How does the top250 work? Was that something that was built into Kodi? Could another field like say sortnumber be created that would let you use alpha-numeric and then you can make your own sorts based off that?

I saw where someone had "hijacked" the mpaa field to do something of Academy Awards. Kodi users seem pretty ingenious at figuring this sort of thing out. Seems a little strange with the popularity of the MCU and other series that there isn't an option to get a proper sort order aside from overriding the main title sort order.
Yep, absolutely no harm in trying. It's good to think outside the box.

(2018-06-29, 23:49)K0D1User1138 Wrote: How does the top250 work?
Click the link I gave you. Look at Section 3.12. Then look at field c13.

(2018-06-29, 23:49)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I saw where someone had "hijacked" the mpaa field to do something of Academy Awards
Which is in c12. Can you point me to that thread?

As you run through the entries on that page, it should slowly become clear how the library operates.
My Signature
I understood what the top250 was for. I meant how does Kodi know what to do with it. I'm guessing it's something hard coded into the program itself? That's why my experiment didn't yield favorable results.

I don't recall the exact thread but I know it was about adding Academy Awards to a skin and started with using the mpaa field. I just used it as an example of how people are finding ways to make Kodi even better. I don't want to give up my mpaa ratings though.
(2018-06-30, 00:29)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I meant how does Kodi know what to do with it.
Its all coded. You can press the Code button at the top of the forum to see code. I am pretty sure it is simply available for Skins to call upon. Can't give you a technical answer to your question though.

Another method is Smart Playlists. If you look at the available rules see if you can hijack one of them to use for a sort order. First thing that came to mind for me was moving the MCU movies to their own Source. Ensure they are in Movie Folders, then adjust the file name to something like MCU=12 Thor (xxxx) Make sure you have enabled the setting Movies are in their own Movie Folders (or similar wording) in the Add Source settings.

Create your rules on Path and Filename and see if that works.
My Signature
I appreciate the ideas. For now I'm living with the limitations Kodi has. Making a separate source for just MCU seems more like a hack than a solution that would benefit everyone and that is ultimately what I'd like to discover. 

I have used smart playlists, in fact I use a ton of them, but unfortunately Kodi sometimes has issues using the sort parameters of the playlist itself and Kodi is not able to read a playlist as a list of specified items, the movie titles in a row for example, and reproduce the order as entered into the playlist the way a playlist on an ipod would work. Something doesn't communicate between the two. I think that would be the best way to get a true sorted order to work but I don't know anything about coding into Kodi the processes required. That's for those with far more knowledge and skill than I have. So for now I'm just brainstorming ideas and noticed there was already a MCU related thread so I can't be the only one looking for a solution.
Thinking about this a little more I'm curious if within the movie set string there could not be a setorder variable created? For for Iron Man you'd have

Code:
    <set>
        <name>Marvel Cinematic Universe</name>
        <setorder>001</setorder>
    </set

I'll post this idea in the other 2 threads I've been asking on this issue and see what might happen.
You guys are killing me. Fine, don't use MediaElch to make this easy. And to do the same thing that MediaElch does, but by manually hand coding each NFO, you can do this...

"Please NOTE, this isn't the complete NFO file, just examples..."

<title>Iron Man</title>
    <originaltitle>Iron Man</originaltitle>
    <rating>7.2</rating>
    <votes>5379</votes>
    <top250>0</top250>
    <year>2008</year>
    <set>Marvel Superheroes Collection</set>
    <sorttitle>Marvel Superheroes 02</sorttitle>

<title>Iron Man 2</title>
    <originaltitle>Iron Man 2</originaltitle>
    <rating>6.6</rating>
    <votes>4423</votes>
    <top250>0</top250>
    <year>2010</year>
    <set>Marvel Superheroes Collection</set>
    <sorttitle>Marvel Superheroes 03</sorttitle>

So the parts you are looking to add to your NFO files will be the "Set", and "Sorttitle".

Just add those 2 lines to your NFO files, and Refresh your Kodi Library. Done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering0