• 4(current)
[NEW] Revised Codec and Playback info overlay discussions and suggestions
(2016-07-06, 08:55)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-07-05, 23:05)willemd Wrote: Something I just thought about:

Maybe, would it be possible that under the Audio info, the amount of available audio streams is shown?

Such as:
Code:
Decoder: AC3
Channels: FL, FR
Language: ENG (1 of 2)

Several movies and also some PVR tv channels have more than 1 language or codec. E.g. our local TV channels air with both stereo and 5.1 soundtracks.

Is it possible to add the same info about subtitles?

I think that if the other skin developers also start adding this info dialog, it will be used a lot more compared to the current 'O' information. Therefore, it would be nice to show all 'user relevant' static stream information in a single dialog. Do you see what I mean?

I would not mix things up. The new info exposed by player is some processing parameters how audio/video stream players see it. This is not metadata of input streams. Hence providing information about additional not currently played streams would not fit into this category.

I will look into formatting and precision of float values.

@Gade, looks great!

Thanks! Wink

I also think mixing things will confuse users.

This new dialog is used like you mention and the fullscreen info dialog should be used for language and subtitle info, media flags etc.

Formatting aspect ratio and FPS like willemd suggests is greatly appreciated!
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10077

Is a precision of 3 for FPS and 2 for DAR ok?
Great thanks a lot Smile
The new overlay looks good. I have some suggestions though (and apologies if some has been covered previousy) It is still missing–

- video/audio bitrates
- buffer utilization
- cpu utilization

I frequently rely on those–esp. #2 & #3–in order to determine whether the buffer is filled (in order to avoid i/o depletion for a semi-busy raid box), and the cpu utilization is very useful when decoding hevc material (which is always done in software/FFMpeg on many systems); as well as to see how efficiently the actual decoding is performing (FFmpeg optimizations/different Kodi builds) when compared to the current bitrate. It would also immediately indicate whether any other process on the system takes up excessive cpu time, impacting playback.
I repeat myself here again. I won't mix up things of different categories which would result in the same overloaded useless mess we came from. There's actually 3 categories you would look at when when troubleshooting.

1)
Know what you are playing. This is metadata related to the file/stream. Most of this is already on the OSD

2)
Look at the process info exposed by this new dialog here. You would see what player sees as well. With this info you may be able to tell what player is supposed to do. If you think is does something wrong, you will look at the 3rd category which is dynamic data.

3)
This is what the debug screen shows, i.e. skips, drops, measured bitrates, etc. If you are here, you know 1) and 2) and you will most likely repeat playback of the current sequence. Displaying 1) 2) only eats resources and taints values of cat 3.
(2016-07-07, 13:03)Drag0nFly Wrote: The new overlay looks good. I have some suggestions though (and apologies if some has been covered previousy) It is still missing–

- video/audio bitrates
- buffer utilization
- cpu utilization

I already added CPU and memory utilization.

The other infos need to be made available for skins.

But it's really up to each skinner how they want to include this new info - if at all.

The screenshots are from the Rapier skin.

With CPU and memory info:
@Gade were you able to test precision changes for DAR and AR?
Can you trigger a Windows test build or is it in the latest nightly?
(2016-07-07, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: I repeat myself here again. I won't mix up things of different categories which would result in the same overloaded useless mess we came from. There's actually 3 categories you would look at when when troubleshooting.

Well, frankly, your definition of 'useless mess' is something that users of the software you are currently maintaining actually did find quite useful.

(2016-07-07, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: 1)
Know what you are playing. This is metadata related to the file/stream. Most of this is already on the OSD

The first point related to the (dynamic) audio & video bitrates; not sure how metadata comes into play here. Unless the OSD has changed significantly since I last tested a Krypton build, this showed more or less static info about the feature title, video & audio codec and chapters. (If this is already present and was missed by me, then great, it is a non-issue.)

(2016-07-07, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: 2)
Look at the process info exposed by this new dialog here. You would see what player sees as well. With this info you may be able to tell what player is supposed to do. If you think is does something wrong, you will look at the 3rd category which is dynamic data.

I think you have to elaborate a bit on this. The information I was missing was the video cache/buffer. I looked at the new dialogue window but cannot see any information relating to the state of the videobuffer on there. Exactly which process information are you referring to?

(2016-07-07, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: 3)
This is what the debug screen shows, i.e. skips, drops, measured bitrates, etc. If you are here, you know 1) and 2) and you will most likely repeat playback of the current sequence. Displaying 1) 2) only eats resources and taints values of cat 3.

The debug screen is not dynamic and needs several steps to enable and disable unless it is shown for the duration of the feature. Would anybody be interested in permanently having this information visible? I am simply indicating the usefullness of showing this on-demand.

EDIT: it looks like our posts crossed @Gade, as I see you have the cpu info available in one of the skins. Great. Seems somehow cumbersome to have to implement something which should be standard on a skin-by-skin basis though (and I guess any users of a prior skin are SOL unless the maintainer adds it.)
The debug screen I was referring to is what we have currently showing when pressing "o"
Love what Gade has produced and look forward to testing it out when available.
(2016-07-07, 14:20)Gade Wrote: Can you trigger a Windows test build or is it in the latest nightly?

Here is a test build: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...ecinfo.exe
(2016-07-08, 09:34)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-07-07, 14:20)Gade Wrote: Can you trigger a Windows test build or is it in the latest nightly?

Here is a test build: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...ecinfo.exe

Works perfectly:

Thanks a lot! Wink
Is this also already available in the nightlies ppa?
I am personally not convinced this is something I want to add a dialog for. Besides the practical problem of choosing what icon I should use for this (I already have an "i" icon on OSD) I can find most information already and the ones I can't find are not all that exciting infos to me (pixel format/decoder/samplerate/bits per sample). I can see a usecase for the hardware acceleration bool, but that's something I would expect to see in the codecinfo screen.

It does look nice in the screenshots from Gade though Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NEW] Revised Codec and Playback info overlay discussions and suggestions0