shield or himedia q10 advice
which one should i get for 4k playback and 7.1 sound and why if you dont mind
thank you
IMO the Shield... why ? faster CPU around, android TV, value for money, gaming device, future FW updates, built quality, WAF approval.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

If you need 3D MVC, Himedia.
If you don't need 3D MVC, Shield.
Don't get seduced by fancy Tech Specs and Marketing would be the number one rule to adhere to...
(2016-05-29, 19:01)pyrex27 Wrote: If you need 3D MVC, Himedia.
If you don't need 3D MVC, Shield.
If you need 3D MVC, Himedia. = RPi3, a far more mature platform. Or even one of the Windows 3D devices.
If you don't need 3D but need Android running 1080/2160p DRM Video Streaming Services = nVIDIA Shield

The Q10, still looks like its running Beta Firmware with a bunch of bugs that need fixing yet. Might be fine if you're a test pilot.
Properly synced 23.976fps video playback is a pretty big issue.

Um, not so fast guys... I have both Shield and Q10 Pro, and I find latter's 4K performance noticeably better (smoother, better colors). Shield does an excellent job, but several of my 4K videos that play w/some judder (especially during motion pans) on Shield, play buttery smooth on Q10 Pro. For 4K streaming, no question, Shield is the box to get, but for local/NAS videos, I'd give the edge to Q10 Pro right now. This could change w/3.2 firmware on Shield.

Update: No longer true. Shield is king for Android. Excellent 4K HDR & refresh/resolution/colorspace switching.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-05-30, 02:24)hdmkv Wrote: Um, not so fast guys... I have both Shield and Q10 Pro, and I find latter's 4K performance noticeably better (smoother, better colors)

You mention before on this forum that you use your eyeballs to compare PQ of Media players, nothing wrong with that but... in a different video chain or how others perceive colors could be a total different story.

Chromatic adaptation is a phenomenon that can fool our visual system, For example, an apple looks red to us, whether it’s illuminated by sunlight, candlelight, fluorescent light or tungsten light. Our eyes actually adapt to the white in any scene, regardless of the color of the light.

See the video below

Anyone interested to dig deep in the subject might want to start to read this article or see more illusion tricks by Edward H. Adelson

What color is the circle at each intersection?

Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Explain that bottom one to me. Adding up the volumes of each shape should not change. I'm stumped. I get the other ones and it's related to the way our rods and cones are wired. I DON'T get the whole triangle thing.
(2016-05-30, 07:31)deaded Wrote: Explain that bottom one to me. Adding up the volumes of each shape should not change. I'm stumped. I get the other ones and it's related to the way our rods and cones are wired. I DON'T get the whole triangle thing.

see this link triangule puzzle

(2016-05-30, 02:24)hdmkv Wrote: Um, not so fast guys... I have both Shield and Q10 Pro, and I find latter's 4K performance noticeably better (smoother, better colors). Shield does an excellent job, but several of my 4K videos that play w/some judder (especially during motion pans) on Shield, play buttery smooth on Q10 Pro. For 4K streaming, no question, Shield is the box to get, but for local/NAS videos, I'd give the edge to Q10 Pro right now. This could change w/3.2 firmware on Shield.

Compared using the same video player?
(2016-05-30, 02:24)hdmkv Wrote: Shield does an excellent job, but several of my 4K videos that play w/some judder (especially during motion pans)

Any specific sample you could provide to reproduce?
(2016-05-30, 07:37)couto27 Wrote:
(2016-05-30, 07:31)deaded Wrote: Explain that bottom one to me. Adding up the volumes of each shape should not change. I'm stumped. I get the other ones and it's related to the way our rods and cones are wired. I DON'T get the whole triangle thing.

see this link triangule puzzle

OK, thanks. But that's not an optical illusion, that's just people fucking with me. I noticed the minimal difference but figured it was due to monitor or resolution issues. An imperceptible change in the angle causing a micromilimeter difference that adds up to a whole square, well. Pfft! That does not impress me. The one with the different/same grey boxes impresses me. The old but always good white-dots between the squares impresses me. It shows how our brains can trick us. This one just says I can't detect submilimeter differences on my 2560x1600 monitor. I knew that. It's nit picking. It's childish. It's not worthy.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the discussion. But I freaking can't leave puzzles alone.
looks like a score draw up to now
(2016-05-30, 16:30)frankie13 Wrote: looks like a score draw up to now

The himedia q10 pro its a 6 years old outer case media player, the same cheap plastic like the Himedia HD900B or Micca..

Anyone that has put their hands on the shield are aware that the built-in is high quality , materials are built to last, i have expensive Oppo 103D and the Shield is at same level.

Im sure many of you already see this Nvidia Teardown if not click for more images.

(2016-05-30, 08:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Compared using the same video player?
On Shield, using SPMC 16.3.0 w/box f/w 3.1, and on Q10 Pro, using native HiSilicon player w/box f/w 1.0.3.

(2016-05-30, 08:52)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-30, 02:24)hdmkv Wrote: Shield does an excellent job, but several of my 4K videos that play w/some judder (especially during motion pans)

Any specific sample you could provide to reproduce?
Just did a test of every 4K video I have...

All these...

...and this...
Code:
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : Y:\Concerts\Xyz_title (2014)\Xyz_title (2014).ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 16.0 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 23mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 27.4 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 256 (0x100)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@Main
Codec ID                                 : 36
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits

Audio
ID                                       : 257 (0x101)
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                           : Version 4
Format profile                           : LC
Muxing mode                              : ADTS
Codec ID                                 : 15
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy

Menu
ID                                       : 4096 (0x1000)
List                                     : 256 (0x100) (HEVC) / 257 (0x101) (AAC)
Service type                             : digital television

...and I stand corrected. Both Shield and Q10 Pro render the videos very similarly. I recall seeing judders in pans in some 4K samples in Shield when I first got my Q10 Pro and compared the two, but now they're virtually the same.

The only exception was HDR. As Shield 3.2 f/w isn't here yet, the color palette on Q10 Pro for HDR clips of 'Exodus' and 'Life of Pi' looked noticeably better. BTW, is it known if HDR to be added w/3.2 is just for Netflix or any app (including SPMC) to leverage, and can it?

I guess we still don't know what the "major new feature" advertised is going to be right? If it turns out to be full MVC support, I'll be jumping with joy... as nothing would probably beat Shield as an all-in-one Kodi box if so.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
shield or himedia q10 advice0