shield or himedia q10 advice
Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling 4K will be an even more niche format than 3D MVC.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-06-04, 02:05)hdmkv Wrote: Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling 4K will be an even more niche format than 3D MVC.

maybe HDR, but 2160p is looking to be the new "standard" in resolution for TVs.. Period.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(sorry, won't let me delete)
(2016-06-03, 07:33)Koying Wrote: Pff... 4K is old story. HDR is the new buzzword Tongue

Yep. Anyone who does not agree has not seen this stuff. WOW!!
I love 4K and I love 3D, but just a feeling, the masses won't care and be just fine w/SD or HD Netflix and other online streaming.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-06-03, 07:12)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-06-01, 00:51)hdmkv Wrote: They didn't notice the many users asking for MVC in @ManuelGuzman thread for f/w 3.0+ requests? Not holding my breath, but addition MVC would've made Shield the only media box we'd need. Too bad, a missed golden opportunity.

Yes, they've noticed and they are aware of the requests. But let me clarify my statement, since I went back and looked at what they said exactly.

Their feeling was (and keep in mind that this was during the 3.0 update) that demand for 3D is "dwindling", but they also said they would keep "evaluating" it. So basically, it was a no with a side of maybe.

I share their feelings about 3D (though I have no feelings either for or against it) and think that it is on it's way out, being replaced by a great demand for 4K. But that being what it is, I will press them on this again when I have a chance since I do know that there are those in the community that want it and by not adding it, it makes it harder to recommend the SATV as the "one box" for nearly every need.

Hopefully I'll have more to share after this coming week (if things don't get pushed back again) and if I can I will post back about where Nvidia stands or still stands on adding MVC support.

You are right in that many people don't like 3D because of crosstalk issues and due to the nature of active 3D (having to have specialized 3D glasses that require power, etc), but with the resurgence of passive 3D, especially on 4K OLED LG TV's, there is now renewed interest in this space and as OLED starts taking over more marketshare, there will be more people wanting it. I used to dislike 3D at home until I got an LG 65E6P - 3D on this TV is phenomenal, the popouts are just breathtaking!

Given that Xiaomi Mi has declared that they would be supporting 3D MVC in their box, a lot of people are curious to see how they are going to do this on Android. It would be great if Nvidia can beat them to the punch and launch this feature. It makes life so much simple for many of us who are looking to consolidate all our devices into a single on, and Shield can rule the living room! I for one, don't want to get an Intel NUC or Pi3 just for 3D MVC.

Thanks much for putting forward our request to Nvidia. I hope they see merit in this request and prioritize it.
I know I am a bit late to the party here but I have an Nvidia Shield and am considering buying this other box because the Nvidia Shield cannot pass through audio properly or does it only at the bit rate that it wants to... for example mine always outputs or audio from all apps at 192khz. I believe that this box will be able to output at 44.1 which is what all my FLAC files have been saved at. This would result in bit perfect output rather than resampling.
Man, this is an old, dated thread. Landscape has changed since I made comments in 2016. Shield TV is the best Android box now, and believe it does pass audio correctly. But, I'm not sure about bitrate resampling issues. Perhaps Zidoo X9S or Z9S are options (see threads at AVS), don't know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
shield or himedia q10 advice0