Asian time zone spam
I am seeing a lot more Korean and Chinese spam on the forum here during the day here in +8 GMT, do we have enough mods here to keep all the spam under control or can I lend a hand to snip the spam when I see it?

I am reporting a lot each day, but I see it sit around for sometime usually.
We'r on it and have internal discussion on how to reduce the whole spamming problem.
(2016-06-01, 13:02)Tadly Wrote: We'r on it and have internal discussion on how to reduce the whole spamming problem.

I'd be happy to lend a hand if needed during my daytime at least. Just let me know. Angel
thanks for the offer but I we'r fine for now ;)
80+ Korean spam messages in the last hour!

Can you block by IP address perhaps?
Each time the goodbye spammer button is used it bans the source IP address.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't know what the plans are for spam, but just to throw an idea out there:

Something that would be independent of the forum software (which can sometimes hold up other things) would be to use some scripts outside of the software. Do something like watch the RSS feed/firehose and watch for repeating thread titles (maybe a pattern matching with X number of asian characters), and have that trigger a dummy/bot mod account to moderate the user who is flooding the forum. Then a human mod can check to see if they are a real spammer or a false positive.

Basically, a temp-fix until the forum is ready for new software/extensions/etc. It's a similar concept to mediawiki and the army of Python bots that people use, since the bots can be configured independently of the mediawiki software. It's janky, but highly effective ;)
That'd be good Ned, I seem to spend a lot of wasted time checking the new threads section to look for spam.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Clicking "new posts" is easier Wink
Still pretty shitty when 10 of them are in at the same time, though...

PS easier than checking threads, I mean. The RSS proposal makes sense...
The Korea and China spam kids have been busy this morning!
Thanks @808? - actually though you are better to report a post if you see one, an email warning goes straight to mods.
They've actually been busy for most of this week, but until yesterday I've been in Japan so have been able to kill a lot of them "in real time" as they seem to post during their working day.

Alas I'm now back home, so they may be a bit more visible again to Asian users. As Nick says though, just click the report button on such posts and we'll get a notification and one of us will remove them as soon as we can.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-07-16, 08:07)nickr Wrote: Thanks @808? - actually though you are better to report a post if you see one, an email warning goes straight to mods.

I report them as soon as I see them.

Could we perhaps have all new users first few posts moderated? I know it is a setting on some forum platforms.
Main thing is to upgrade the forum which is high on the wishlist. For now please keep reporting. I've taken down all accounts you just reported.

Maybe as an interim we can allow more people to access the stopforumspam button.
(2016-07-19, 06:51)Kib Wrote: Maybe as an interim we can allow more people to access the stopforumspam button.

Sounds good!

Would have been quite useful this morning.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asian time zone spam0