Win "Kodi has stopped working" on startup
Version: 16.1
Windows 10
64 bit
16 gigs ram

debug log

Ever since about a month ago my kodi has been crashing on startup, sometimes it doesn't even display a not working message, It just stays frozen on the loading screen. I have done multiple clean installs, I have changed the name of the app data folder to kodi(old) so a new one is created, I have installed Kodi to a new directory, I've ran everything as admin. I just don't know what else to do so any help would be appreciated. Sad
I want to know if a minimal installation would work (no library, no settings, no PVR, no TV, no add-ons just Kodi 16.1 default and your o/s.... nothing more. No joystick, remotes or changes pls

1) delete rename: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi
2) delete rename: C:\Users\thatbabyj\AppData\Roaming\Kodi

Download a fresh Kodi 16.1 install just the basics, launch... does it run? If not, revert to Jarvis 15.2 and try steps 1) and 2) again, does it run? I think you get the idea Supported hardware (wiki)
(2016-06-04, 03:21)PatK Wrote: I want to know if a minimal installation would work (no library, no settings, no PVR, no TV, no add-ons just Kodi 16.1 default and your o/s.... nothing more. No joystick, remotes or changes pls

1) delete rename: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi
2) delete rename: C:\Users\thatbabyj\AppData\Roaming\Kodi

Download a fresh Kodi 16.1 install just the basics, launch... does it run? If not, revert to Jarvis 15.2 and try steps 1) and 2) again, does it run? I think you get the idea Supported hardware (wiki)

Okay so a minimal installation with 16.1 did the same thing "Kodi has stopped working" on startup, however 15.2 works perfectly fine. Do I just need to wait for 17 ?
It's your hardware, the only difference between Jarvis & Isengard is that one uses Direct X11 and other Direct X 9, so your issues lie with the fact that your hardware isn't properly supporting DX 11 (mostly the graphic card drivers, but could also be the O/S). Kodi has now moved permanently to DX 11.2 builds which means Krypton 17 will not solve your hardware issues.

What kind of hardware and graphic card do you have? It might be possible to just update your systems software, but more likely is new hardware.
(2016-06-04, 23:29)PatK Wrote: It's your hardware, the only difference between Jarvis & Isengard is that one uses Direct X11 and other Direct X 9, so your issues lie with the fact that your hardware isn't properly supporting DX 11 (mostly the graphic card drivers, but could also be the O/S). Kodi has now moved permanently to DX 11.2 builds which means Krypton 17 will not solve your hardware issues.

What kind of hardware and graphic card do you have? It might be possible to just update your systems software, but more likely is new hardware.

First off thank you for your time and help, this is my rig

GPU: Nvidia G Force 660 Ti
CPU: Intel I5-3570K 3.4 GHz
Ram: 16 gigs

I did recently install the latest driver, which prior to that I hadn't updated in a long time. Maybe i should try downloading the driver again ?
I think there are users that are running Jarvis with that CPU, so it would be the graphics card that would take my attention. This list http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technolo...orted-gpus doesn't explicitly list your card, (it looks like it's in that family though) so it still might be a driver issue. You might want to update to Jarvis and if you get it up switch out to software rendering, if you can't get it up, then look at the drivers.
(2016-06-06, 03:52)PatK Wrote: This list http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technolo...orted-gpus doesn't explicitly list your card, (it looks like it's in that family though) so it still might be a driver issue.

That's because the GTX 660Ti does not support DX11 only but also DX12

So you could find it on DX12 supported GPU: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technolo...All&page=2
Moanbag is in da place!
I have an issue also with it "Kodi has stopped working" on startup and I'm running win10 x64 with and i7 3770K chip and nvidia 980... im pretty sure my card supports dx12 therefore i think kodi is broken. ive tried uninstalling multiple times with no avail.

worked great until 16.1 jarvis update
Quote:worked great until 16.1 jarvis update
One wonders if sliding back to Kodi v 16.0 might be a fix, at this point I'm baffled and will leave this to others that might have a clue. The only options I see are rollback to 15.2 or jump to 17 to see what that brings.

As an after thought, it might be worth while manually installing DirectX 11.2, from the MS site (I'm not sure how backward comparable DX12 is)
I've gone from 15.2 straight to 16.1, I've never tried 16.0. I've just reinstalled 15.2 and it works great. 16.1 is definitely broken

as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/179113 "There is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 11.2. You can only install this DirectX version through Windows Update in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2." "DirectX 11.3 and DirectX 12.0 are included in Windows 10"
Just a note from me to say imalso get this. 16 RC1 is fine, 16.1 is very unstable. I am using a ITX with an onboard cpu and video so totally dif hardware from other posters.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Kodi has stopped working" on startup0