Win complete config for Kodi in a network share
Hello

Is it possible to store the complete configuration files (userdata,addons...) to a network share?

I have a network share called smb://server/kodi1. In this folder i have copied the complete configuration folder and subfolders (addons,cache, media,userdata)
The share is writable without password (simple linux smb share)

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi16\system i have an advancedconfig.xml for the substitutions.
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
       <from>special://profile/</from>
       <to>smb://server/kodi1/userdata/</to>
   </substitute>
<substitute>
       <from>special://temp/</from>
       <to>smb://server/kodi1/cache/</to>
   </substitute>

<substitute>
       <from>special://masterprofile/</from>
       <to>smb://server/kodi1/userdata/</to>
   </substitute>

<substitute>
       <from>special://home/</from>
       <to>smb://server/kodi1/</to>
   </substitute>

<substitute>
       <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
       <to>smb://server/xbmcpicturecache/</to>
   </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

But this is not working. Kodi starts but i get errors about incompatible plugins due to unmet dependencies. Kodi creates no log so i can't lok into the error.
Any idea whats wrong or is this not possible?
Path subs just don't work for everything. I've tried similar things in the distant past, and ended up messing with symlinks instead.
Actually scratch that, I ended up giving up and taking my ball home.
First step is probably to work out what can and can't be subbed - I don't think there's a definitive list (could be wrong) so it's a case of trial and error.
Thank you.

I thought it's a nice chance to get rid of the copy process if i need to make a complete new installation.
symbolic links in Linux would be best bet but there is software that lets you do the same but ive never used it as whats the point if you update the config its easy to populate it to all PCS on your network if that's your reason? unless your on an old 10mbit net.
The reason is maybe a little bit stupid/crazy but i work as a system/network admin and i like to have all my things centralized at one server. If the client dies or i like to test new versions i simply like to install the new Kodi add the advanced config to the install and start.
It's easier for me to backup one server as multiple clients ( i have 3 Kodi clients, 2 windows and one android (nvidia shield)) The database and the thumbnails are centralized.
But you still only have to backup your main config folder if you distribute that around your network, if your talking 20+ PCs then I have another option otherwise a single config directory isn't a good plan unless all the other clients are in kiosk mode. I too distribute a single config but using cron via a Linux box when I'm asleep and if someone happens to change a setting and causes mayhem the next day its back to the normal config, hope I'm making sense if not let me know and i'll try n explain better, just a single config isn't really a good idea imo considering the limitless problems it could cause where a single config reset daily is more manageable.

Wow Ive confused myself now Smile but happy to have a chat about this as I have a similar dilemma/setup/use for this Smile
PS are the subs working per chance? as they didn't work well in the past.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
complete config for Kodi in a network share0