Noob to PVR - Rpi 3 TVH backend?
Could someone please tell me if the following works. I have one of these connected to windows laptop running nextpvr up in my bedroom. The little aerial is next to my window and allows me to get the 6 freeview digital channels here in Ireland. Now today I managed to get the channels on my Nvidia Shield downstairs in the back of the house by means of Kodi's NextPVR client.

Rather than have a laptop running 12 hours a day would I be able to substitute it with a Rpi 3? I plan to install OpenElec, then the tv headend server addon and then kill Kodi. Would this work please?

I have looked at mythtv but I think I'd have a greater chance of success with tvheadend!!!

Thank you.
Hard to know without knowing precisely what the hardware is. Can you get a product id from windows?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It DOES work how you ask, as nickr mentions, the issue will be wether TVH will see the actual device, and this is down to the chip-set in the tuner.

But technically it will work, and should only take an hour or so to test out, so well worth a punt. The most frustrating thing is setting up the TVH backend, takes a bit of getting used to.

One thing to be aware of is recording, you would have to rig up some kind of external storage as the pi3 will not have enough local, or indeed power.

Also consider Libreelec as the OS as it suggest it support the latest version of TVH better and more devices.

But if you just want to watch TV then it should be fine. Although the supplied aerial is not a good source.
Info on OpenELEC/LibreELEC supported usb tuners.
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
Thanks for the replies guys. The usb tuner I have is a Leadtek WinFast Gold USB AF9015 chipset. Really disappointed to hear I can't record the odd program though. I thought using a 64GB micro SD would suffice. Isn't the Rpi 3 quad core? It still wouldn't have enough grunt to record one or two programmes?

Instead of external storage what about this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-F...+ultra+fit
So it's supported according to link I provided (1st in list)

You can record locally onto the same SD card as os/tvheadend installed in an Rpi3 so if card is large enough...Believe comment related to sufficient power to run both rpi and USB tuner (I have an rpi2 and my USB tuner stick is connected to a powered USB hub to be sure of reliable usage)

Recording works for me although I don't use often personally as catch-up tv is so easy/reliable these days Wink

Not quite sure what you mean by kill Kodi In your 1st post?
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
I thought the same about "kill Kodi" when I saw it in this reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/4..._backends/

Just thought it might make sense to you guys and you could explain it to me!! Ah so power relates to rpi3 not having enough juice to keep the tuner going. Is a powered usb hub the only solution please? Thank you! Smile
My understanding of Kill Kodi within the context of that discussion refers to use of OpenELEC/LibreELEC (installed on rpi3) in order to get just enough operating system with a tvheadened backend available for enabling if you have a DVB-T usb stick that is recognized by LibreELEC (Then use rpi3 as simple home network TV PVR for devices around house that are not directly connected to an Ariel etc)

Killing kodi is essentially just stopping kodi running (via ssh) in situations where you do not intend to be using kodi front end connected to a TV on device that is running the tvheadend server.
i.e. ssh into rpi3 and "systemctl stop kodi" = stops Kodi and "systemctl start kodi" = starts kodi

Yes should work just fine..
It does record, but I wanted to be brief in response, there are a number of lets say concerns.

1. Small storage (local), some recordings will eat that up quickly

2. The more R/W you do to these cards can create more chance of corruption if the card isn't 100%

3. Unless you have a VERY good psu, this too will cause some potential issue.

But having said that, your setup could run 100% for you with no issues, and I love the idea of the kill kodi, not seen that one, and it makes good sense.
In relation to an SD card for recording, bear in mind that my system shows about 4.5G per hour for recordings. These are HD h264 recordings. MPEG2 will be bigger.

Its about 1G per hour for SD h264 recordings. Again MPEG2 files will be bigger.

YMMV as different broadcasters use different compression rates, but those figures should be some sort of guide.

So you ain't gonna get much even on a 64G card. It will, of course, deliver proof of concept, but if you are going to seriously start using a PVR, 64G will quickly become full.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
All of my streams are MPEG2, and consume about 9-10GiB/hr. An external USB drive or network mount is really best if you're going to do any recording.
(2016-06-18, 19:32)MikeKL Wrote: ssentially just stopping kodi running (via ssh) in situations where you do not intend to be using kodi front end connected to a TV on device that is running the tvheadend server.
i.e. ssh into rpi3 and "systemctl stop kodi" = stops Kodi and "systemctl start kodi" = starts kodi

I'm getting:

"Failed to stop Kodi.service: Unit Kodi.service not loaded".
What exactly did you type? Please copy and paste your input and output
Input:

"systemctl stop kodi"

Output:

That's everything I swear!
(2016-06-22, 16:47)VanZan Wrote: Input:

"systemctl stop kodi"

Output:

That's everything I swear!
According to your post, you are typing 'kodi', and systemd is replying with 'Kodi'. It ought to be all lowercase letters.

Give this command a try:
Code:
systemctl list-units --all | grep [Kk]odi
That will list all of the unit files that systemd knows of that contain 'kodi' or 'Kodi' in either the filename or the description. Once you have that list, find the one that ends in '.service' (are you *certain* it isn't called 'kodi.service'), and that is what you use as the argument to `systemctl stop [unit-name]`.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob to PVR - Rpi 3 TVH backend?0