Kodi NPVR Client buffering over WiFi
I have a NPVR server running on my Windows 10 PC, with a client running Kodi on a Matricom G-Box Q-Squared over WiFi. My client can run about 10 minutes of Live TV before it starts having buffering problems. The video buffers for a few seconds, then plays to catch up, then buffers again, and repeats. If I stop the stream and restart, the 10 minute or so timer starts again. I checked my connection speed and I get about 41.5 Mbps according to speedtest.net (which I assume should be enough, but correct me if I'm wrong). I also tried playing with hardware acceleration and that didn't help. Does anybody have any thoughts or need any more info to have said thoughts?
Update: I bought an AC router, which boosted my speed like whoa (technical term). I get closer to 15-20 minutes now before experiencing the same buffering issues. I'm running live TV off an HDHR-Prime. Any thoughts as to why I'm still having these buffer problems? Will try to gather logs...
google advancedsettings.xml kodi, on android, Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ (enable hidden folders) ... make advancedsettings.xml with text editor...

and put in what you find. on your client, wherever this file lives, you must tweak the buffer a bit.

im using raspberry pi. i made the cache size bigger then put in readbufferfactor or whatever it's called to like 8. ... perfromance improved but i still have stuttering.

if you have a real htpc, i think you can make the readbufferfactor higher than 1 ... say 5 or higher, to make local htpc hold more data than normal.

ok enjoy. good luck, i'd be curious what works for you. i have a new thread where i post my settings and story. we can co-miserate if nothing else Tongue
One thing I've recently learned about wifi routers and streaming video is the impact device interference plays. In my case, I had 2 clients on a 5Ghz band that would seemingly randomly pause and lose connection with the server. After much research I found that packet collisions were the root cause of my problem. I also discovered that most home routers by default don't use CTS/RTS protocol but they can be configured to do so. I experimented with different settings and finally found one that resolved my issues.
CTS/RTS can reduce bandwidth, but the effects of excessive collisions are worse. I'm now viewing live TV requiring up to 14Mbs on both clients with no problem.
I believe implementing CTS/RTS may help resolve your issues.

Sent from my GT-P3113
Thanks yo (not sure how to pluralize yo...)! I'll definitely try those this weekend. I should note that I can replay any other kind of media with no issue (1080p movies on a hard drive connected to the router, recorded live TV that is still in .ts format on the HTPC server, etc). This issue only arises when watching actual live TV.
Test on a hard wire. I am pretty sure your losing packets over the wifi. Live streams are Waaaayyyy LESS tolerant of ANY lost packets!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi NPVR Client buffering over WiFi0