• 4(current)
WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K
(2016-06-21, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: Decent Audio in Android, when using the WeTek mediaplayer version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1. This includes 5.1 AC3/DTS and True HD + DTS-HD MA/HRA 7.1 Audio passthrough. Similar to Audio support found on the WeTek Core. I'm assured HD Audio works. HD Audio is untested by me personally. Regular 5.1 AC3/DTS works when I tested.
Is this something like in HiMedia where they use wrapper to get everything working as intended? This isn't native Kodi player?
What do you mean by 'decent'? Why is it only decent?
And what about OpenELEC version - is there some custom made players too?
(2016-06-23, 08:42)ironlung Wrote: I've only ran openelec, but I am seriously considering an android box due to the need of certain apps but it would be for the living room, meaning my wife and kids are going to use it.
My main question is: how do apps work with a regular remote control using the d-pad?
My 6 year old and wife do use openelec which works fine but I would like if it would be possible to use d-pad for navigating the android apps as well instead of using air mouse to compensate for the lack of touch ability.
I tried looking at youtube for examples but i couldnt find anything that showed me a concise example of this. the wetek due to the gui seems to be my first choice if scrapping my NUCs.
I suppose I have to answer this even though I don't want too and have to repeat a bunch of stuff again...... Confused

First read Post #38 and understand the differences between Android TV and regular Android Lollipop OS Apps. One is far more user friendly than the other for D-Pad remote control use. Remote control usability on a big screen TV is the exact reason Android TV was implemented by Google in the very first place to replace all this Air Mouse Android nonsense.
Apple had the right idea all along many years ago with big friendly icons designed to be used with their Tiny D-Pad remote control in their long line of Apple TV's.

Yes you can use some regular Android Apps with the D-Pad only but you will not be able to a use bunch of functions without actually activating the Air Mouse. Then there are a bunch of other Apps that are Air Mouse only driven, such as the previous one mentioned - Stan.

In terms of complexity and difficulty (hardest at the top for the Wife and kids to use):
1) slow IR Air Mouse remote control with D-Pad....
2) trackpad to mirror Air Mouse / touch screen functionality, possible a trackball could be used..or an Android App such as WeControl.App...
3) trackpad with an integrated keyboard....
4) an ergonomic, accurate, responsive RF Wireless Air mouse implementation ...
5) an ergonomic, accurate, responsive RF Wireless Air mouse implementation with a mini Keyboard on the flip side...possibly with BT Headphone jack
6) a Wireless D-Pad remote using Android TV (leanback) Apps on a certified Google Android TV device with a BT Headphone jack...

The thing to bear in mind as well is that aftermarket Remote Control / Air Mice / Keyboards will usually still not give you 100% functionality VS one from the manufacturer that is included with an Android Media Player device in the first place. You really have to pick known, usable, aftermarket remotes.

(2016-06-23, 08:59)Draghmar Wrote:
(2016-06-21, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: Decent Audio in Android, when using the WeTek mediaplayer version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1. This includes 5.1 AC3/DTS and True HD + DTS-HD MA/HRA 7.1 Audio passthrough. Similar to Audio support found on the WeTek Core. I'm assured HD Audio works. HD Audio is untested by me personally. Regular 5.1 AC3/DTS works when I tested.
Is this something like in HiMedia where they use wrapper to get everything working as intended? This isn't native Kodi player?
No wrapper is used. Its a Fork (version) of the actual Kodi Jarvis source code, modified by WeTek to add extra audio features like HD Audio passthrough, improved video decoding, tidying up a bunch of AML Kodi bugs + more that I'm pushing hard to get implemented by WeTek themselves.
SPMC is also a Fork of the Kodi Jarvis code as well, along with XBMC for MINIX. No wrappers are used in any of these versions.

Quote:What do you mean by 'decent'? Why is it only decent?
Because I been told there is no Multichannel Audio > 2.0 channels, able to be implemented with any AML S905 at the moment. The same issue as we find on the MINIX U1 and the ODROID C2. The v3.14 AML Kernel used does not seem to support Multichannel Audio. Sad

Quote:And what about OpenELEC version - is there some custom made players too?
OpenELEC Jarvis is already working in a Dual Boot configuration on the Hub. Yes there will be custom versions. Have a look at LibreELEC on the ODROID C2 for what OE and LE Jarvis on the Hub will be able to do once developers get really stuck into adding A/V features.

(2016-06-23, 09:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Because I been told there is no Multichannel Audio > 2.0 channels, able to be implemented with any AML S905 at the moment. The same issue as we find on the MINIX U1 and the ODROID C2. The v3.14 AML Kernel used does not seem to support Multichannel Audio. Sad
You're talking only about decoding, right? Because passthrough works on C2 at the moment (after you've done some magic). I want to be sure...
thanks for the reply wrxrasy. Went back and re-read #38 and OK, thats a bummer. However a lot of the apps I'd like I am pretty sure they do not even have a leanback version anyway. So basically you need Android TV Os to run TV apps and I'd assume you would not get a hold of regular android os apps then which makes the point of buying android TV Os moot. Ok, guess its back to using an air mouse then and wait for another wetek unit than can offer RF wireless.
(2016-06-23, 09:47)Draghmar Wrote:
(2016-06-23, 09:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Because I been told there is no Multichannel Audio > 2.0 channels, able to be implemented with any AML S905 at the moment. The same issue as we find on the MINIX U1 and the ODROID C2. The v3.14 AML Kernel used does not seem to support Multichannel Audio. Sad
You're talking only about decoding, right? Because passthrough works on C2 at the moment (after you've done some magic). I want to be sure...
I'm unable to test but I bet this is true for ALL AML S905 devices using a v3.14 Linux AMl Kernel...taken from the ODROID C2 thread....
(2016-06-17, 13:51)noggin Wrote: NO HDMI PCM 5.1/7.1 audio output is currently supported. PCM 2.0 is the only PCM output format available at the moment. DD/DTS/DTS-HD/True HD will be bitstreamed over HDMI. Audio formats which can't be bitstreamed (FLAC, WAV/PCM, AAC etc.) will either be transcoded to lossy Dolby Digital 5.1, or folded down to a PCM 2.0 downmix.
Note: the Wetek Core is using a v3.10 AML S812 Kernel with comprehensive Android Lollipop / Wetek Jarvis (Kodi) mediaplayer - Audio support. This includes PCM Multichannel > 2.0

Ok. Thanks for that relief. Tongue That would mean only FLAC could be problem for me but then again my CDs are stereo so my FLACs are too. Wink
hdmkv, will be along shortly with his suite of comprehensive Audio tests for the Hub........he seems to be MIA at the moment Wink

(2016-06-23, 06:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-06-23, 06:44)KoopaTroopa Wrote: Has it been decided yet if that Wetek Core Air Mouse remote will be available to buy separately, and then use on the Hub?
That is a question for WeTek themselves to answer.
IMHO, the Core's RF Air Mouse remote (or similar) should be offered to end customers the day the Hub is released, as a extra cost purchase.
Otherwise I expect a bunch of frustrated and potentially unhappy Android users.

BTW: This Air Mouse issue, is the exact reason why MINIX offer up a number of different remote control options for their Android devices.
WeTek you NEED to respond to this remote control question and detail what you intend to offer to customers.

The remote will be available for purchase alone, so that Hub, Play 2, and even Core/Play 1 users will be able to buy and use it.

EDIT: and although I love that remote for other reasons, IMO, trackpad > airmouse (when mouse input is required) ;)
So Wetek are selling the hub with a bundled remote which is next to useless. That hardly inspires confidence. Surely they should be working to make the bundled remote at least do the basics well (Netflix and Kodi) The extra air mouse (I hate using these) will surely push the price towards the 100 euro mark.
I don't think it's useless. For example I won't use Netflix and other apps. I will be using Kodi only. So D-pad navigation *should* be enough for me. So if I wouldn't need this advanced remote why should I pay extra for it? I know there's a confusion here because they didn't state everything officially on their website but this solution is far better in my opinion. Those who want better remote just buy it and those who don't - don't have to.
What about the included remote plus a bluetooth mouse? Wouldn't that work although you would need to use both hands?
(2016-06-23, 12:05)Draghmar Wrote: I don't think it's useless. For example I won't use Netflix and other apps. I will be using Kodi only. So D-pad navigation *should* be enough for me. So if I wouldn't need this advanced remote why should I pay extra for it? I know there's a confusion here because they didn't state everything officially on their website but this solution is far better in my opinion. Those who want better remote just buy it and those who don't - don't have to.

Netflix is my big problem here. Wrxtasy has stated in previous post, that Wetek has 'massaged certain apps' (including Netflix, if i read right) to run on Wetex core, using non air mouse. How hard it is to port thus solution to the Hub i don't know but it would be a good solution i think
(2016-06-23, 12:05)Draghmar Wrote: I don't think it's useless. For example I won't use Netflix and other apps. I will be using Kodi only. So D-pad navigation *should* be enough for me. So if I wouldn't need this advanced remote why should I pay extra for it? I know there's a confusion here because they didn't state everything officially on their website but this solution is far better in my opinion. Those who want better remote just buy it and those who don't - don't have to.
You've hit the Nail on the head here. As stated in my review. For Kodi both when using Android and OpenELEC versions the included remote is just fine. Its also fine for Android TV Apps that happen to work on the Hub, like the included YouTube for example.

WeTek has not massaged any Android TV Apps, this is entirely a community - user driven thing. (Follow the previous link provided). Some work right out of the gate (YouTube), others need to be slightly tweaked.

Someone with a WeTek Core and Android tablet or Smartphone using the WeControl.App will be able to confirm how well the Trackpad functions using WeControl when used on regular Android Apps like Netflix.

@ned Scott, no sure at all what you mean by "The Remote" ? Wink

Forgive my ignorance Wrxtasy but as your the one sitting with the Hub, would it be possible to see if the 'massaged Netflix for the core" would work on the Hub (maybe as you say it will work right out of the gate)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K3