VBox Any Good?
I have been looking for a while a decent TV network box, as I’ve been struggling to get what i need with Kodi on 3 machines to record Tv to my server and actually refresh on all the Kodi installs without having to create a separate library for the recorded TV
I have been watching HD homerun boxes but the support seems to have gone quiet, and the updates for the Vbox is good in comparison.
I would be looking to get one to start then possibly run two boxes if I struggle for tuners.

Basically need to know is it (once I have configured everything) Wife proof!!!
i.e. stable? no need to restart all the time? HD Channels good?

As at the moment I am using local tuners with MediaPortal server serving the tuners to kodi which works well but getting them all to record to my Server and refreshing is getting to be a pain.

Any hands on info before I fork out £80 on one just to test, and it might not cut it.
Also have just noticed they have recently had a price drop?

Cheers for any info

Ps I’m a network administrator so installing tweaking will be no issue for me :-)
In one word - Yes

I have been running one for nearly a year now.
VBox on the network
TVHeadend on my QNAP NAS for centralised recording
KODI Clients around the house and NUC connected to TV - connecting up to TVHeadend

Very Wife friendly and it all just works.

Only issue I had was with HD Freeview EPG (BBC encrypt the HD EPG and allow manufacturers access to the key in return for them encrypting any recordings) which I believe is no longer an issue with later firmware as you can tag the HD channel with the associated SD channel so the EPG is shown for both. I would rather have unencrypted recordings and get my HD EPG another way. I personally use schedulesdirect to get 14 days EPG in XML format and import that into TVHeadend every day - I started down that path before the VBox firmware fix.
I second @fryrpc YES.
But I am using my VBox a bit differently, I guess I'm less tech savvy :-)

I am using the free over the air EPG with the SD/HD tag so I get 7 days guide - for me it's enough and I schedule a number of series recordings which automatically records so I don't really need more than 7 days

I have a Samsung 2014 Smart TV with the VBox app, Minix U1 running Kodi on another TV, iPad air, Android tab and a couple of PCs (with Kodi) all connecting directly to the VBox and when I am on the road I am using my Nexus 5 to watch.
VBox keeps on updating the device adding new features, so it's a great product from a very committed company
Thanks guys think I will be ordering one tonight. I have been looking at the HD Homerun but lack of support and firmware updates think has made my mind up.
It looks like the VBox support is better and it look like they keep with the updates when needed.

Only running 3 HTPC machines running windows 10 so should be fine for my needs and finally recordings direct to my Server shares.

Also looking forwarded to test the ipad and iPhone app.

And as I run kodi everywhere I may even replace my front room htpc for a NVidia Shield as 4 k support for my 4k LG TV and streaming games from my gaming PC would be nice as well. My boss has a shield and kodi is super fast just always relied on local tuners so was not an option for me.

Also is anyone running 2 VBox units?

Their support said you can run multiple VBox units on the same lan for more tuners if needed, just wondered if anyone was or is 2 tuners enough as it can handle multiple channels from the same MUX.

cheers for the advice guys
(2016-06-21, 12:25)fryrpc Wrote: In one word - Yes

VBox on the network
KODI Clients around the house and NUC connected to TV - connecting up to TVHeadend

Only issue I had was with HD Freeview EPG (BBC encrypt the HD EPG and allow manufacturers access to the key in return for them encrypting any recordings) which I believe is no longer an issue with later firmware as you can tag the HD channel with the associated SD channel so the EPG is shown for both. I would rather have unencrypted recordings and get my HD EPG another way. I personally use schedulesdirect to get 14 days EPG in XML format and import that into TVHeadend every day - I started down that path before the VBox firmware fix.

How did you get the tvheadend backend to pick up the vbox? i'm using synology with the tvheadend package and i can't get vbox to show up in the "tv adaptors" tab
If you are thinking of using tvheadend why not pick up and openelec box / wetek play. They are getting on a bit so not ideal for kodi anymore, but work great as a network PVR.

I use mine headless with freesat and tvheadend. Works great on all my kodi client, including shield. Should be a lot cheaper than vbox too.
(2016-06-25, 20:48)tredman Wrote: If you are thinking of using tvheadend why not pick up and openelec box / wetek play. They are getting on a bit so not ideal for kodi anymore, but work great as a network PVR.

I use mine headless with freesat and tvheadend. Works great on all my kodi client, including shield. Should be a lot cheaper than vbox too.

I have retired my Vbox, as it was so buggy.

I now use my wetek as above, and no problems, and works flawlessly.
I've been using my VBOX 3442 for about a month now. Using it down here in New Zealand!

Very happy with it - I've got it paired with my NVIDIA SHIELD running Kodi.

Note, their support on their website is very poor, and there's little documentation. However if you email their support you can get very fast in-depth answers that are very helpful.

One thing to note, on Android TV, there is no official app, and the only way to watch with it is either with UPnP or with Kodi.

Also, there's the new line of 34xx range of models that are the same price, read more here: http://vboxcomm.com/support/software/45-...teway.html

I've enjoyed mine and saved $60-70 on sky and loving it.
I ordered one and its running very good, recording to Server share is working spot on on multiple kodi installs.
Im also goint to upgrade the living room to a Nvidia shield now as well for 4k on my tv and kodi.

I ordered a few days before the new gen 3 unit came out and the upgraded my order to the new one, has 4k support and h265 :-)
(2016-07-22, 09:55)dhallam Wrote: ...
I ordered a few days before the new gen 3 unit came out and the upgraded my order to the new one, has 4k support and h265 :-)

Same here, got the new one and ordered it about 1 and a half weeks before the new one came out.
(2016-06-25, 11:31)logan_x50 Wrote:

VBox on the network

How did you get the tvheadend backend to pick up the vbox? i'm using synology with the tvheadend package and i can't get vbox to show up in the "tv adaptors" tab

It does not appear in TV Adapters - you configure each channel URL in tvheadend as an IP channel - I think you can now use an m3u file generated by the VBox box to import into tvheadend. When I did it I had to add each channel URL manually into tvheadend.

Just to add - my setup is still running strong - VBox --> tvheadend (on QNAP) --> Kodi clients
(2016-11-29, 12:19)fryrpc Wrote:
(2016-06-25, 11:31)logan_x50 Wrote:

VBox on the network

It does not appear in TV Adapters - you configure each channel URL in tvheadend as an IP channel - I think you can now use an m3u file generated by the VBox box to import into tvheadend. When I did it I had to add each channel URL manually into tvheadend.

Just to add - my setup is still running strong - VBox --> tvheadend (on QNAP) --> Kodi clients

OK. thanks for the tip. i don't fancy adding each channel 1 by 1 (even if i knew how) and I tried to figure out how to import the m3u list but that defeated me too.
I'm left using UPnP sources function direct on the tv which works really well as it lists all of the channels as "video" sources. the only thing i miss really is an EPG but i guess we all have multiple devices to browse that.
You can follow the link for a comprehensive script for importing the playlist from a VBox into tvheadend - https://github.com/Jalle19/tvheadend-hel...mporter.md

And to import the XMLTV guide - https://freetoairamerica.wordpress.com/2...-frontend/
I have an XTI 3442 dual DVB-T/T2 which is working very well with mythtv backend.

I have created a source code patch for mythtv git master which increases integration within mythtv backend allowing multiple channels on the same multiplex to be recorded simultaneously.

See mythtv forum thread for details https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1724

Mike
Hi guys, I bought one of these a while back to use when we moved and am now trying to set it up to work with kodi on my Nvidia shield TV. I have it running fine, and have mapped the SD channels to their HD equivalent to pick up the EPG listings and can get it to record shows, but is there any way to do series links on it? The vbox web UI had then but very basic (just sets up a repeat for the day and time) but I'd like it so it will record every episode of a show regardless of its time, day, etc, as they often change.

Is this possible with kodi? I'm using the vbox add-on

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VBox Any Good?0