Req /Question Estuary Addon Skinning
Hey guys,

I am in the process of updating a few addons to support Estuary as it will become the default skin in Krypton. Estuary is beautiful by the way, really a nice job!
Having said that, I would like to take advantage of the includes the skin provides to skin my dialogs. Despite the addons not violating any Kodi rules, I can easily see some trouble coming from the fact the Estuary dialog's header include the Kodi logo. This can make any "3rd party addon"/Unnoficial/Not coming from the team/whatever that requires skinning to be mistaken as an official addon.

So my question is, is there any way (or can you consider adding one) to use the Estuary Dialogs without including (or even better...replacing) the Kodi logo without having to define the whole dialog again? If not, is there a problem to simply use the include?

Screenshot included to better explain my concerns

Best regards to you all

enen
(2016-06-24, 19:07)enen92 Wrote: I would like to take advantage of the includes the skin provides to skin my dialogs.

wow! stop right there! :-)

never ever (ever) use includes from a skin in addon xml files. those includes are skin specific, they don't exist in other skins.
as a result your addon will only work with estuary and be completely broken when used with other skins.

your addon might even break in estuary the minute phil65 decides to change / remove / rename one of the includes your addon depends on.

addon skin files need to be fully self-supporting really. don't depend on includes, $VAR[]'s or even color definitions.
also, all needed graphics need to be included in the addon itself.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-06-24, 20:43)ronie Wrote:
(2016-06-24, 19:07)enen92 Wrote: I would like to take advantage of the includes the skin provides to skin my dialogs.

wow! stop right there! :-)

never ever (ever) use includes from a skin in addon xml files. those includes are skin specific, they don't exist in other skins.
as a result your addon will only work with estuary and be completely broken when used with other skins

your addon might even break in estuary the minute phil65 decides to change / remove / rename one of the includes your addon depends on.

addon skin files need to be fully self-supporting really. don't depend on includes, $VAR[]'s or even color definitions.
also, all needed graphics need to be included in the addon itself.

Humm...think you misunderstood my point. I am only skinning it for estuary, confluence and nox. The other skins are/will be supported by the "default self-containing skin" provided within the addon. Adding support for a given skin, estuary in this case, means of course the xml files will only work in estuary. If a skin update breaks it, an addon update will solve it. Other skins won't be affected since they won't be using the addon estuary folder. Furthermore, the addon uses very little resources from the skin internals (the dialogs and buttons mainly). Probably not the best solution ever but better than having to replicate the includes and the Estuary media files in the addon itself if they are already provided by the skin IMHO. Keeping it compatible with different versions can be a pain though. Having in mind Estuary won't for sure include xml files for all addons that needs skinning, I am not seeing any other way to do it.

If this is not acceptable for the official repository then I won't have any other option than to replicate all the dependent skin stuff in the addon (including the includes and media files). Please confirm it if possible.

Thanks for your response
Regards
Just use this :

Code:
<control type="group">
            <centerleft>50%</centerleft>
            <centertop>50%</centertop>
            <width>Your_Width</width>
            <height>Your_Height</height>
<include content="DialogBackgroundCommons">
    <param name="DialogBackgroundWidth" value="Your_Width" />
    <param name="DialogBackgroundHeight" value="Your_Height" />
        <param name="DialogHeaderLabel" value="Your_Header_Label" />
</include>
Your content...
</group>

Like says Ronie, if changes are made in Estuary, your need to update your file.
 Estuary MOD V2 
(2016-06-24, 22:42)enen92 Wrote: Humm...think you misunderstood my point. I am only skinning it for estuary, confluence and nox. The other skins are/will be supported by the "default self-containing skin" provided within the addon.

well, i did have a peek at a few of your addons (sportscenter/matchcenter) before i made my comments ;-)
the 'default' skins of those addon are pretty broken due to the things i've mentioned above, so i just wanted to make sure you're aware of these pitfalls.

as for your original question, i don't see a problem with using an include from estuary that happens to contain a kodi logo.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
/Question Estuary Addon Skinning0