Play music while watching video?
Lightbulb 
I have a need that I haven't been able to find how to do it so I'm assuming it's not possible.

I'd like to be able to watch a video muted while playing a music file or a shoutcast stream at the same time. Is this possible currently? If not, could it be possible in the future? I'd use this feature almost daily if added!

Thanks devs, and thanks again for all you do regarding XBMC. It's the most important part of my Xbox mod!!!!

Wraith
no not possible, and i dont really see it happening everything is designed around having one playercore at a time.
hi.

first of all, thank you everyone. xbmc is without doubt one of the
most impressive community driven projects i have seen.

we're having a party on Saturday, and we've set up some playlists in xbmc... and while the vis's are nice, we're actually interested in playing some movies on the projector (while it would still be nice to show people what they're listening to.)

is this possible? the idea is to essentially use the video player as a vis. (without sound from the video, obviously.)

i haven't been able to find any posts /plugins / hints of anyone doing this yet.

any info is appreciated!

thanks,

james
This exact question was asked less than 24 hours ago.

The answer is no, it's not possible. Use 2 xbox's.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The only way you could do it with one xbox is if you added the music you wanted to play as an audio track to the movie (this would be done entirely outside of XBMC on a real PC) and then picked that audio track. Not very practicle for the purposes of a party though.
Kind of along this same line of thinking.

Is it possible to mix audio and video in the same playlist? During parties I'd like to be able to have the visualization running for most songs, but occasionally play a music video. Then, when the video is done, go back to the visualization. Can this be done?

Fred
Lightbulb 
This may be a long shot, but I had quite a few situations where I thought it would be great if I could start some video and have the music that was playing at that time continue. For instance, you could be listening to your favorite compilation, and at the same time watch some movies where you don't mind seeing them without the sound - and this may give a new dimension to both the music and the video being played. This under the assumption that if you play music and video at the same time, the sound from the video gets switched off.

It seems to me that this would be relatively easy to do as far as playing video and music at the same time is concerned, but a lot of work to make it easily controllable through the gui.

Any thoughts on this?
not currently something XBMC will do and most likely not something that will happen in the foreseeable future. AFAIK no developer is currently interested in this, which means they won't be working on it. If you can find a dev interested in it or you can submit a patch to do this, then it'll hapen. Otherwise, no go.
Catchy Signature Here
I know the answer is "No" (and sorry for the bump) but this would be a great feature for the Karaoke functionality of XBMC...having videos playing in the background while singing to a song... maybe we'll get this one day. With XBMC's cdg support already implemented, xbmc can could be an inexpensive alternative to the expensive karaoke machines found in many clubs/karaoke bars that play random videos with music+lyrics.
Is it possible to play a video without sound and play music on it Huh?

regards
This would be a cool feature as I have a Aquarium and Fireplace DVD that would look cool in the background while the music is playing, ashame I am not good at coding Sad

Thx for everyone's hard work.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Here's the feature request fwiw.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/2247
Maybe I should push it back to pending then.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sho Wrote:Here's the feature request fwiw.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/2247
Maybe I should push it back to pending then.

Would be a cool feature, especially these days !
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Should be relatively easy by implementing a visualiser based on ffmplay. We do not care about video-audio sync so it shouldn't be a problem. This, however, gonna be code duplication as there is already a player (dvdplayer).
Would be interesting to be able to pair AV players by inputs/ outputs. By this I mean multiple audio players with the ability to select an input (SPDIF, analogue, digital file) and an output (analogue channels, HDMI, SPDIF) Only 1 video player allowed at a time. It seems like it would be simply creating another instance of the audio player.

This type of feature would allow multiple room control too...and by allowing synchronized playback, one could get stereo sound (or even surround if using digital + analogue) working in multiple rooms. That's a feature that's restricted to receivers costing over $1000...

On my PC I use the GPU HDMI output while also using a separate player for the board analogue outs. That way I can hear windows sounds while music plays in the background. Would be nice to unify it in XBMC though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play music while watching video?1