Alpha-numeric scrollbar for speed scrolling (0 to 9, A to Z index fast scroll)
Lightbulb 
I hate it to scroll a long time in my Movie dir.
So what about this feature?

Generally referred to as an "index".

How would the controls work? Left/Right scrolls through the movies. Up jumps over to the menu. How do you get to the index to select the letter you want?
Move up to shift focus to the index and then left/right to go through the letters then pressing down would return to the cover images I guess?
My vote would go for an iPod style letter watermark if up/down are pressed for a certain time (those who have used the "regular" iPods know what I mean).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I thought if you choose a letter you will get the first Movie with the letter you have choosen.
the only issue i can see, is it won't work with a sort on anything but "names" or "files".
seems like a good idea, to be able to tell a listitem to jump to a aspect of that list.
Yes, the main problem is populating the scrollbar or whatever it is with the appropriate items, which would require the media window to interface directly with the scrollbar (which would also require parsing the filelist for the items), whereas currently the container (list/panel etc.) communicates with the scrollbar.

Even restricting to alphabetical sorting would still require knowledge of the offsets for each letter (eg album versus artist sort order for albums view).

It's certainly not a bad idea - it just (as almost always) has non-trivial consequences that must be thought through.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Lightbulb 
Alphanumeric scrollbar for speed scrolling request/suggestion:

More streamlined alphabetical navigation approach to ease and speed-up navigation through large lists and libraries. One suggested possibility is to mimic the Apple iPod or Microsoft Zune 2 (MP3-players) approach. After holding down the d-pad up or down for a set number of seconds (perhaps 5-seconds?), it would start to scroll through letters of the alphabet rather than individual files. Letting go on a letter would bring you to that section of the list, starting with the first file that begins with that letter.

Checkout this Zune 2 demo video and you will understand what I mean:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SInVzXdQ_sQ

This would serve great for IR/RF remote-control scrolling through large lists on XBMC for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X as they do not have the analog scrolling of the triggers on the Xbox gamepad-controller. Thus enabling fast scrolling on all XBMC platforms.
I know this has been requested in the past, but I'm also aware that the skinning engine has been added to very much recently.

Is there any possibility of the engine having the addition of being able to browse the library (Music section is most apt) by first letter? This would be a great addition to the engine and would open up a world of skinning possibilities.

For example, you could have all the letters of the alphabet along to the top or down the side of your screen, highlight a letter (let's say 'M' in this example), and then the library would bring up either all the artists or all the album names beginning with the letter 'M'.

Either that, or would take you to the point in your library where all the 'M's begin.

As I said, I know it's been requested in the past...but hey, if you dont ask you done get, right?

Thanks

Mike
I'd like to second that.
I have been missing this as a feature a lot playing with the Win32 port.
@mike, I merged your request into the existing topic-thread in the feature-suggestion forum, I hope that is OK(?)
yeah thats fine Gamester....the end result is the important point!!

Thanks
Gamester17 Wrote:Checkout this Zune 2 demo video and you will understand what I mean:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SInVzXdQ_sQ

This would serve great for IR/RF remote-control scrolling through large lists on XBMC for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X as they do not have the analog scrolling of the triggers on the Xbox gamepad-controller. Thus enabling fast scrolling on all XBMC platforms.

I would love something like that. I bought myself a nice Harmony remote some time ago, and it's lovely and all that, but I just can't let go of my gamepad controller purely for the fast scrolling triggers. It actually really suprises me that there aren't (to my knowledge) any Harmony like remotes with a scroll wheel or ipod like scroll control.

Another (additional) touch for keyboard users would simply be jumping to entries by keyboard input (or is this possible already? I only really use xbmc on the box and on my PC for skinning, it doesn't work there).
no thoughts on this at all?
your request about having 0-9, and A-Z buttons to filter the library (and ONLY the library) is certainly possible. the filtering would be based on the current node type. if you're at artists, it would filter by artist name. if you're at albums, it would filter by album title.

however, i think it would be rather obtrusive if there were 36 additional buttons and you were using either the controller or the remote to navigate. two possible options:

1) another filter button (filter by letter?) which brings up the keyboard dialog.
2) add an option to the existing filter dialog so the user can choose to filter by "letter" or "word"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alpha-numeric scrollbar for speed scrolling (0 to 9, A to Z index fast scroll)0